• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Medium Priority Preventing walktrough buildings

@Levis: Here are some results from my tracing:
Code:
Build: Windmill here
Build: adding collider
AddCollider for Windmill
Trying....
Finding....
Adding check 0
Looks like the game adds one single check and CollideCheck never does actually get called.

And you're right, it DOES work after leaving the location and coming back again.
No notable performance loss either. This is definitely the best BuildingSet collision I have ever seen; I'm impressed! :woot

Funny effect: If you set time compression to 20x, you CAN still run through the mill. :rofl
I tried to tackle the time compression by adding it to the amount you are pushed back. maybe this has to be amplyfied a bit. but for now I'd say it's working quite well already and if this is the worst problem I'd say I've done a good job.

Here is a new version. This one also handles polygons with 4 points. I've set it up for baracks (the officer of the WIC on curacao).
Very nice! It seems to work on NPCs as well, which is especially nice.

Though I did manage to still walk through one corner there:
upload_2015-10-16_19-31-5.png

But that's OK; players aren't likely to be doing that very much and it is MUCH more solid than it was.

Funny when I walked all around and then back, I ended up walking on air.
And then I drifted down to the ground level VERY gently. :rofl

Is there any chance at all of your teleporting being a solution to the "sidestep through everything" issue too?

but for now I'd say it's working quite well already and if this is the worst problem I'd say I've done a good job.
Based on my initial tests, I'm inclined to agree!
That QuestReload mystery seems to be the real worst issue that is still left.

this collission detection should also work if you sidestep trough it. but it wont counter sidestepping trough models....
to make that work I would need to read the walk files. that's going to be to hard I think.

about the corner, yeah noticed that too it has something to do with the calculations I use, they are rounded a bit (by potc) and thats what causes it. you could just make the bounding box a bit larger, but I don't mind this little thing that much.

I noticed the floating too but wasn't that problematic right? especially because you just come down again :).

Oh and ofcourse it works on NPC's too :p. I've even added a check for them so they wont get stuck. When an NPC bounces he is rotated a few degrees, this will automaticly change his walkpath a bit so he or she will walk round the building after bouncing against it for a few times max.

Based on my initial tests, I'm inclined to agree!
That QuestReload mystery seems to be the real worst issue that is still left.
Next week I will probably look into that, or when I have time this weekend. Don't worry it will be fixed.

this collission detection should also work if you sidestep trough it. but it wont counter sidestepping trough models....
to make that work I would need to read the walk files. that's going to be to hard I think.
I feared as much. Oh well, it can be handy at times as it is. Plus that's why it's disabled by default. :whipa

about the corner, yeah noticed that too it has something to do with the calculations I use, they are rounded a bit (by potc) and thats what causes it. you could just make the bounding box a bit larger, but I don't mind this little thing that much.
I don't mind either. As I said: Much more solid than before! :onya

I noticed the floating too but wasn't that problematic right? especially because you just come down again :).
It was funny, not problematic. :cheeky

I will try to write a tutorial this weekend on how to add collission data.
One more wish I have to this system is to be able to add items as collission data also. So say you want to add a simple model to a scene you can use the randitem trick but it will be walk trough also. By having these items be checked also I hope to make it even better :).

@Jack Rackham might like that; he used that "randitem" trick several times, I think.
And there are also the model.always ones, of course.

@Jack Rackham might like that; he used that "randitem" trick several times, I think.
And there are also the model.always ones, of course.
model always should have theire own bounding box already if I remember right. they aren't walktrough right?

Please Let me know if you encounter errors or weird collission detection.

In the IslaMona warehouse are some bales on the floor. They are placed there with the building set function.
You can't walk through them. :no (but push them a little like characters). That's strange because other building set items can be walked through. :confused:

In the IslaMona warehouse are some bales on the floor. They are placed there with the building set function.
You can't walk through them. :no (but push them a little like characters). That's strange because other building set items can be walked through. :confused:
small crates and stuff indeed have a character which seems to cause some kind of bouding box already.

I think that is probably because of the invisible lizards inside them. :cheeky

Yes, I know that sounds quite insane, but I think it is the truth. :rofl

I was at San Juan heading for the tailor shop and when we went down the stairs we wended up floating in air.

I was at San Juan heading for the tailor shop and when we went down the stairs we wended up floating in air.
Wha? I don't think there even ARE any BuildingSet structures in San Juan!

Does that stop when you set USE_COLLISSION_DETECTION to 0 at the top of PROGRAM\BUILDINGS\Colliders.c ?

Back