• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Privateer License

Vict0r_1994

Landlubber
Ok. I'm new to Age of pirates 2, but I played Pirates of the Carribean and, as I downloaded Gentlemen of Fortune as well, I thought I could continue its story somehow and chose to play Danielle Greene and work for France. (as I didn't find it plausible for her to work for the english after the whole Khael-Roa treasure events and the siege of Greenford...)
I'm on lvl 9 already and I solved more than 10 french governor quests, fought a few drunk lads in taverns for increasing my reputation even further when I was a Man of honor thanks to an internet tip and tried to meet the governor general in Tortuga and I still don't get license! I want to start the national questline in order to get some interesting missions and to forge a carribean empire by squishing English forts in the distant future, but I can't.
What did I do wrong here? My reputation is hero, the bar is entirely filled, I kept doing governor missions in frech colonies and asking governors to talk about important matters (I guessed that was the way to earn the license), but nothing!
Does the reputation of my officers and subordinated captains matter as well? Does the governor general give you the license, or you must wait until an ordinary governor gives it to you? I'm out of ideas and I would really appreciate any help!
The gov-general simply tells me "I do not know you at all, mademoiselle. Leave my office. I deal only with men in service of his most christian majesty Louis XIV!" Does that tell you guys anything about the reasons causing my problem? Could it be a bug? Thaks in advance!

If you want a License from the french your relations with them must be up to " Admiration" This can take a while just doing govenor's quests, Though protecting french cities from Invasion fleets will get you to Admiration pretty fast. Or If you seriously cannot wait for a license go to any Pirate town Go to a Diplomat and ask for a license and frequently he'll say he can't give you one, just keep asking him eventually he'll give you one though it will cost an arm and a leg.

There is a way to "cheat" the diplomat, I don't remember the exact #'s though.

I believe he charges 10% of your total wealth, so if you have 10,000 in gold, he may charge you 10% of that. So what you can do stash most of your gold, keep 2k or so, then talk to him and see if he's willing to sell. If he says you don't have enough money, withdraw a little more gold till he bites and sells you the letter.

Thank you very much for your advice! Well, I only had the mission with the pirate ship thrice up to this point, and the rest of them were all small jobs, so building my relationship until admiration with governor quests should be a hard task. (it's still neutral...) Are there any easier ways to improve it? Does sinking enemy fleets actually help, as I didn't notice any progress while doing it or while "running errards" for the governors?
Regarding diplomats, well, I did go to one with 56k and he asked me to pay 115k for a license. It is true, I had other 200k in a bank account, but it was certainly more than 10% of my total wealth, and more than I could even afford at that moment! Is these some kind of peculiar occurence, or does the game generate random prices for letters of marque?
Right now I finished the blue bird quest and started some quest-less sailing and plundering to get a little bit richer and stronger, and I might as well go on with some "Kill the beggars" quest which seems unique (and thus longer...), so I don't need to rush with the national questline and I can try to earn the license rather than buying it if you answer my questions or give me some tips on increasing relations. How I said, I really appreciate your help, and I am sorry for posing so much questions, but this game is really complex and comes without any tutorial. I love it and I like to figure out games by myself, but this one has a lot of different aspects.

Hmm more than 10 % ? wow. One thing I tried was I fired all my crew and stayed in the pirate town for a month and a few days and each day he reduces the price. For me for a license that peanut brain diplomat wanted over a million piasters. Though after staying for a while, the price was down to around 776,000 piasters. He he...:D Or if you do the Ship Of Souls quest and protect cities from Undead invasions oh boy your relations with them will get up to Admiration very quick. Your relations with any nation after Ship of Souls quest will get you in Admiration very quick or my name aint Buck!
Or you can go to the bank and take a withdrawel. That will solve everything! Or again you can do my first suggestion to just wait.

To quikly inpruve your relation go on the cavern and kill the undead. But be aware, if you have start pirate quest line you have to finish the mission 8 before to start national quest. Also, if you start national quest before of the pirate quest then you can't play the pirate quest anymore.

Back