• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Problem in questline

tommy61157

Unofficial Pirate Potato
Staff member
QA Tester
Provisional
Storm Modder
Hey, at the part where you have to go back and talk to maria and the guy at the door is supposed to tell you that they were imprisoned, the guy just talks like a normal person, he does not tell me that maria's been imprisoned... Idk what to do...I posted this onto the bug tracker, but then hylie said I should post the issue here. Loading previous saves has not helped, can anyone help me out here?

Hey, at the part where you have to go back and talk to maria and the guy at the door is supposed to tell you that they were imprisoned, the guy just talks like a normal person, he does not tell me that maria's been imprisoned... Idk what to do...I posted this onto the bug tracker, but then hylie said I should post the issue here. Loading previous saves has not helped, can anyone help me out here?
Hi Tommy,
I will test it later today - (I have to write a bit of code to shortcut the story to that part of the game :hmm )
Having read the code I can find nothing obviously wrong - and have never had this problem reported before as far as I can remember.
Regards,
Short Jack

@ tommy

Do you have any error logs. - if yes can you post them as attachments - they might give a clue to what is going wrong.

:cheers

sorry, but I have no error log files, can you tell me how to enable error logging and where it can be found once it logs the errors?

sorry, but I have no error log files, can you tell me how to enable error logging and where it can be found once it logs the errors?

HI tommy,

In main game directory > look for "Engine conffiguration settings"............open it and change the following lines values to read as here :-

numoftips = 0
tracefilesoff = 0

[script]
debuginfo = 1
codefiles = 0
runtimelog = 1
;tracefiles = 0

You'll then find in the game main directory three files ....system, compile & error,...... these are the ones needed to find the problems.

Cheers
damski.

k, I'll enable at some point and then go to that part again and see what the error logs bring up... but it might be a couple days though, my computer's acting a little on the weird side lately...

Just to let you know I'm still working on this.

I can't even get the character to show up at the moment, but this I have seen before. :modding
So, back to the keyboard.

Hope your computer sorts itself out soon.

no, my comp. isn't acting weird due to the game, but you have seen the issue of the guy blocking the house giving normal dialog? I thought you said before that you hadn't seen it before and that the code looked fine...

Hi Tommy^1157,

O.K. - What I previously meant to say was:
No the guy (Bernard Gosling) blocking the door always gave the correct dialog.

Trying to track down your problem I have to write some code to enable me to jump into the game at that point (just before actually) so I don't have to play all the way through the game to get to it.
That gives me the problem that I have to set up some things which normally have been set as the game is played through normally by means of some code.

Per my last reply, I had missed one of the set up lines needed.
I have now added what was needed - and he does show up blocking the door BUT you are right - he is now using the "standard dialog".

I have NOT seen this before - and as I know other players have finished the quest - I know others have not had the problem either.

There have been other modifications to the game, so I need to find what is not allowing the dialog to correctly take place.

I am still looking at this.

Hope that clarifies things.

thanks, also, if you have some files that can offer a temp. fix to this, can you please post them on here or if they're too big, say so and I'll give you my e-mail address which can receive attachments of any size.

thanks, also, if you have some files that can offer a temp. fix to this, can you please post them on here or if they're too big, say so and I'll give you my e-mail address which can receive attachments of any size.
According to the size of "fix" required, I will either post here or PM you as suggested.

okay, thanks, this topic is set on my watch so I will see the fix when it comes out :)

No, I have not forgotten you, and yes I am still working on this - and I'm NOT a happy camper! :modding

I have tired different "dialog methods" and even resorted to changing the character to see what that would do, but the "new" character (a soldier) also reverted to the "standard dialog".

My next step is to use a Hornblower Specific character and see what that does.

:modding :modding :modding :modding :modding Having said all that - I've just got the soldier to behave correctly with the right quest dialog.

I will see if I can make the "correct" character do the same.

Yep, I have notepad++ on my computer, I typically read files with regular notepad though, if you have the fixed files, post them on here please.

O.K. Here's the fix.
It's not elegant but should not require a new game.

Replace the RN_Sailor c file with this one (the h file does not change)

Using Notepad++ In the Hornblower Quest_Reaction file modify the case sections as follows:
(don't copy and paste - type in or modify the lines that are different)

case "Go_to_Find_Maria":
Pchar.quest.speak_speak = "boarded_up";

AddQuestRecord("Old Friends - New Enemies", 12);
ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Bernard Gosling"), "Greenford_town", "reload", "reload21");
LAi_SetGuardianType(characterFromID("Bernard Gosling"));
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bernard Gosling")].dialog.CurrentNode = "First time";

Pchar.quest.Go_to_Find_Maria2.win_condition.l1 = "location";
PChar.quest.Go_to_Find_Maria2.win_condition.l1.character = Pchar.id;
Pchar.quest.Go_to_Find_Maria2.win_condition.l1.location = "Greenford_town";
Pchar.quest.Go_to_Find_Maria2.win_condition = "Go_to_Find_Maria2";
break;

case "Go_to_Find_Maria2":
LAi_SetGuardianType(characterFromID("Bernard Gosling"));
characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bernard Gosling")].Dialog.Filename = "RN_Sailor_dialog.c";
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Bernard Gosling")].dialog.CurrentNode = "First time";
LAi_ActorDialog(characterFromID("Bernard Gosling"),PChar,"",5.0,5.0);
break;

then add this line to the quest case "Maria_in_cell"

Pchar.quest.speak_speak = "finished";

Go back to your last save and play through. It should clear the whatever it was/is that is now blocking the dialog.
Let me know how you get on.

Attachments

• RN_Sailor_Dialog.c
    5.1 KB · Views: 207
Is this a fix that should go in the modpack?
Hi Pieter,

I'm really not sure:
1./ Need Tommy to come back and say that it works for him. (If so then YES)
2./ No one else seems to have come across it and they have completed the quest. (I only got it when I made a cheat from C.S. Forester to get to that part of the game to test it)

um, none of that is in the file you gave me... I have to add it since it's simply not there. Where would I need to add it?

EDIT: Turns out I don't have notepad++, and The Notepad++ download is broken or something's up with my winrar... can't use it

EDIT 2: I installed notepad++ from another source and it's working fine, checked the RN sailor dialog file with the notepad++ and I still can't find the segment short jack is talking about...

Back