• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Problems with the governor of Tortuga

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
The governor of Tortuga has been giving me various problems. If I try to attack the colony, I get to the point where I should be able to demand a ransom or change of governor, except that the governor is not there. Fair enough, he's a pirate and has run away at the first sign of trouble, but if you successfully attack a town then you can't leave the town hall until you've talked to the governor, which can't happen if he's not there. So I'm stuck. Log files from after the attack are attached.

So then I tried talking to the governor peacefully. This was easier, not so much because it didn't involve arguing with the fort, but because I'd just completed the "Help Turks Island" side quest which ends with you delivering Pieter Boelen to Tortuga and me with a saved game on the pier, also attached. Provided you run really quickly, you can get to the residence just before it closes at 22:00, otherwise you can spend a night in the tavern. Either way, talking to the governor and saying "I'm here on business" yields a very odd result. Apparently the pirate governor's plunder includes the dialog from the governor of Kralendijk because the first business I get to report is the return of the missing children from the "Strange Things Happening" side quest, which I completed (and collected the rewards from both Kralendijk governor and Kingston church, as well as giving the good news to the Kralendijk ladies) some time ago.

I also tried staying the night in the tavern and then attacking, to make sure the attack happened in daytime and the governor should be awake, not that this has been a problem elsewhere. It didn't help, the governor still wasn't there and I still couldn't get out of the residence.

Attachments

• compile.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 46
  • error.zip
    263 bytes · Views: 59
  • system.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 46
  • -=Player=- Hispaniola. La Tortue port. March 20th, 1781 1.zip
    1 MB · Views: 53
I know I successfully captured Tortuga a while back.

Which storyline is it? If Brave Black Flag, that one messes around with pirate town governors and might cause it to not work.

Of course I have already done a large amount of work changing governor-related stuff.
Hopefully I can upload my current work this evening for testing. There is every change that it is now different.

Going through the code last week, I did notice quite some stuff that seemed out of place.
Thought it was the Nigel sidequest that was copied in far too many dialog files though, not the Strange Things one. :facepalm

Anyway, I suppose this is one thing to check with the modified code files later on.

I'm still playing the Nelson free-play storyline. This is the first time I've tried to capture Tortuga since it was remodelled; the previous time I attacked it was when I was playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk" under Beta 3.1.

Not sure if the Nelson storyline in the current upload has the Brave Black Flag pirate changes in it or not.
Check PROGRAM\Storylines\Nelson especially the StartStoryline.c and SL_Reinit.c functions. Also have a look at the Characters\init\Hispaniola.c file.
Normal governor is named "Bertrand Ogeron" so you can have a look if he is referred to somewhere in those three files.

The governor I met was named Smiley. That was the first clue that he was Pirate rather than French - the lack of a French name. The second clue was when I got to the next dialog option, which is to ask about relations, in this case Pirate relations. As you'd expect, Pirates are at war with everyone and pirates are to be sunk on sight. xD

The governor I met was named Smiley. That was the first clue that he was Pirate rather than French - the lack of a French name.
Ah, yes! That's indeed the Brave Black Flag replacement guy.
For the next update, I removed the governor-swapping altogether so this may be already fixed. Please check after I posted the next version. :doff

The second clue was when I got to the next dialog option, which is to ask about relations, in this case Pirate relations. As you'd expect, Pirates are at war with everyone and pirates are to be sunk on sight. xD
Caught that last week too! Very funny indeed. :cheeky

Now that the governor dialogs will be shared, I have changed it so that you CAN'T ask a pirate "governor" for his relations to other nations.
Partly because that "pirates are to be sunk on sight" line is hardcoded and is basically ALWAYS displayed completely regardless of actual nationality.
Also... they're PIRATES! Them being at war with everyone else is pretty much a given! :rofl

Anyway, I marked this as "Fix in Progress" because I think I addressed this before you even reported it, but it isn't available for testing yet.

Yes, I noticed the mention of that little piece of dialog, hence "As you'd expect". ;)

Can you arrange for pirate governors to say something immediately before "pirates are to be sunk on sight"? Such as "All ships which are not"?

Can you arrange for pirate governors to say something immediately before "pirates are to be sunk on sight"? Such as "All ships which are not"?
Theoretically anything could be done. The question is how much time it will take.
For now, I just used the simple solution of "if it is not there for the pirates, then it cannot be wrong". ;)

Back