• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Profile Bug/Confusion

Redbeard

Sailor
Ok, so Im not sure if this is a bug or working as intended. It doesn't happen with AoP2.

Create profile. Play game, Save.

I can load saves just fine.

DIE. When I die, I wake up with pretty nurse, and can't reload games. I leave nurse, and still cant load games. It gives a player not found type error, and wont open any saves in that profile.

So, I have to restart the game to load my saves. Is this intentional?

Since the entire profiles system is mod-added, comparisons with AoP 2 don't apply.
It is not intentional; despite our best efforts, it just still does weird things at times.
You can try to remove the file named "options" from your main game folder do that any potential garbage gets removed from it as that sometimes occurs.
You do need to set your settings again afterwards.

Oh ok thanks! I figured out, that simply restarting the game fixes my profile issues. Ive noticed its rather finicky, but now that I've got a handle on it, I think its useable at least.

You know what? I think I figured out the bugginess.

Recently I've been playing in something rather close to stock POTC settings. Arcade mode, no pickpockets, basically turning off most of the realism options. One setting I turned off was the survival chance. I was sick and tired of waiting for the nurse to leave, just to reload. Now, when I die, I'm dead. No being saved and losing stuff, etc.

Yet, the bug is gone. Before I needed to restart the game to reload a profile. I would wait until after the nurse left the room, go outside, and it would give me an UNABLE TO LOAD PLAYER PROFILE error. I would restart and the profile system would work fine.

Now that I have certain death turned on, when I die I get a cutscene and I am kicked back the main menu. However, I can now load my profiles without restarting.

I believe this is a bug.

I've got no clue why that would be related.
But if it works for you, then all the better! :onya

Ok, I figured this out. Here's an update.

I didn't solve the problem at all. The profile saving system works GREAT in Campaign mode. In my case I could reload a save within the Nathanial Hawk campaign. However, before I was having an issue with freeplay within the July 28th build.

After updating to the September build, I started a freeplay game again, and have noticed the bug again. I simply cannot load a save without restarting. Period. It also doesn't show previous saves while loading. I believe this feature is related to Freeplay mode somehow. I've deleted all saves related to previous versions. A fresh free play cannot load a save without restarting.

Two more things I've noticed with the Sept. 13th patch.

1. Arcade mode feels ALOT different. I'm not sure if changes where made, but sailing with the wind used to yield around 22.3 speed in a Sloop. Now it yields 4.1. Was arcade mode tampered with? Its the same ship, it just controls like its on realism mode, despite the other realism settings working like Arcade. (I.e. sail-to command, not having to find locations, etc.) Wind itself is ALOT slower.
*EDIT*

Upon further play, Arcade wind isn't working as intended. Sailing into the wind has a very dramatic effect on my ship, bringing her to a stop essentially. This wasn't the case with the July 28th exe, as on arcade the wind would cut my speed in half, but it wasnt as severe as realistic mode. Again, I know realism is off, because I can still fast travel everywhere.

2. Officers no longer show their titles, I.e. I hired an individual who is a navigator, but even after setting navigation, it doesnt show below the portrait.

Some pretty big changes from the July exe to the September exe.

Last edited:
Storylines and profiles are related; it is quite possible that the default storyline confuses the system less than the others.
You could try to remove the file named "options" from your main game folder, then set your preferred settings again.

Are you sure your game didn't accidentally switch to Realistic Game Mode?
Please double check your Options menu.

There is no September EXE yet. ;)
Just the ZIP update.

@Levis: Do you know anything about those other things mentioned?

@Redbeard: do you have more than one profile for the same storyline? For example, two campaigns of "Tales of a Sea Hawk", profile names "Player1" and "Player2"? Note that free-play is a storyline for this purpose so if you have a couple of free-play games saved with profiles matching the character name, e.g. profiles "Francis Drake" and "Blackbeard", that would be the same thing.

Savegames from different storylines go into different sub-folders of the "SAVE" folder - each storyline has its own. Each filename starts with the name of the profile, so that the default "Player" profile will produce files whose name starts with "-=Player=-", or a free-play game saved under profile "Francis Drake" will have filenames starting with "-=Francis Drake=-".

I've had exactly the problem you describe, in which I can't load a savegame except by exiting and restarting the game, and it's only if I have two profiles in the same storyline. It doesn't always happen even then, but I've never had the problem when there's only one profile per storyline.

@Redbeard says

2. Officers no longer show their titles, I.e. I hired an individual who is a navigator, but even after setting navigation, it doesnt show below the portrait.

That's Right! it is a little annoying. I forgot to report about it.

Edit: I think his right about the winds too.

Are you sure your game didn't accidentally switch to Realistic Game Mode?
Please double check your Options menu.
Positive. Checked multiple times, even changed them just to be sure, as it is right now, Arcade and Realistic are working in exactly the same fashion. With the exception that I can fast travel while in Arcade mode. Its not a big deal, as I suspect I'm one of a few people who play in arcade, but its noticeable enough to me. I've gone from the mid 20's down to around 14 and below at most times. I sail into the wind and I don't really move at all. :p

Now, this is with the 4.1 Beta WIP September 13th build. However, I did apply three fixes from the forums.
1. Boarding AI.
2. Your fix for the Sao Gorge trader, as posted by another user to his files.
3. The guard fix by levis.

*Edit 2 * I removed these files and returned the originals for no change whatsoever. It seems the fixes had nothing to do with the problems. :)

Upon further inspection. I can further differentiate between arcade and realism by the way the ship turns. I started switching between realistic and arcade. I then tried turning the ship at different angles and recording speeds.

I had 14 wind power against my sails, and in realism it was harder to turn, and my sloop went 5.4

I then switched from realistic to arcade.

I had 14 wind power against my sails, and in arcade it was easier to turn and my sloop went 7.6

Im beginning to think that the July 28th arcade mode was more pronounced, or I simply did something differently. Maybe I had higher sailing skill and a better officer? Maybe campaign has different winds? Ill need to test various things.

@Grey Roger

Here's the thing. I don't HAVE any other saves or profiles. I deleted them all during the move to september 13th build. Just to be sure I double checked the SAVES folder in my POTC install. There is nothing in any of those folders but the Freeplay folder with my saves from yesterday. :)

Last edited:
Positive. Checked multiple times, even changed them just to be sure, as it is right now, Arcade and Realistic are working in exactly the same fashion. With the exception that I can fast travel while in Arcade mode. Its not a big deal, as I suspect I'm one of a few people who play in arcade, but its noticeable enough to me. I've gone from the mid 20's down to around 14 and below at most times. I sail into the wind and I don't really move at all. :p
For the Fast Travel, that is set when you start the game. So if you started on Arcade, then switched to Realistic, you can still fast travel ashore.
Maybe that is what happened for you?

@Pieter Boelen As I say in post 9 @Redbeard is absolute right in what his saying.
I am not doubting that; I just didn't comment on that at all, since it is @Levis who needs to be aware of that one.
To be sure though, perhaps it is best if you make another Bug Tracker entry to be sure we don't forget.

Ok. The missing titles under the portrait's is not a good thing.

I'd get a screenshot, but I don't know how with my current setup. :p This is a big deal because unlike say, AoP2 or Sea Dogs TEHO, there are no icons, so when you have officers, other than eyeballing their skills you have NO idea who is what. It was pretty jarring bug for something that was working only a few weeks ago.

@Pieter Boelen Perhaps, but again, it is still alot slower. I now get 14-15 being the highest, whereas in the july 28th build I got 20-26 winds. Same ships, same starting character etc. The forward speed seems alot slower no matter what port I dock at. Martinque to Nevis, etc. All have this low speed, where I have been used to much higher.

Again I literally tested to be sure right before I typed this. I wish I had kept my old saves instead of deleting them, as they could prove the speed issue.

As for the profiles. Im utterly at a loss, but I think it might be you need to have a standard campaign save? Without it freeplay saves seem borked or something? Again, Ill need to do more testing.

You're using @Tingyun's files, right? He's been experimenting with the winds in there.
I'm sure he'd appreciate your feedback.

PotC does have icons for different officer types. :shock

@Pieter Boelen And now we are talking about bugs and confusion: I have 7200 acr land
and only get 200-400 gold cons per time, I remember it was several 1000 before this update

@Pieter Boelen Actually no. I posted in that thread under a conceptual viewpoint. I find the idea interesting, but as I don't direct sail anywhere... so no. None of his files. :)

Woops haha, my mistake thought you meant me.

@Redbeard I think @Pieter Boelen was indeed asking you, you weren't mistaken I don't think. :)

For the record, I haven't messed with wind speed at all in my modifications. The angle and speed are separate in the game (it doesn't really make sense for them to be, but I'm not rewriting the whole code right now ;) )

As for the base mod, Redbeard, the truth is your experience is likely the combination of random chance and seasonal variation. The range of speeds in the current mod is 5-30. There is every chance you will get faster winds given right conditions. But randomness is funny that way--you could easily have a very long run of winds and never see the fast ones, especially as wind changes aren't that dramatic (ie wind speed is NOT rolled anew every hour, it changes based on the prior value, so there are easily trends). I am pretty sure nothing with wind speed has changed since July 28th, in either the normal mod or my experiments.

EDIT: but if going forward you do find wind speed too consistent, and want larger changes, Let me know. I may be looking at wind speed at some time in the future, and if I do I'll keep track of any suggestions people have made. But you might have had some bad luck with the random number generator, let's see how you experience it going forward. :)

Last edited:
Back