• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Profile Bug/Confusion

@Pieter Boelen This is how the interface looks now, no titles seadogs2_0000.jpg

@Redbeard aside from my previous post on wind, on the more general issue you mention, one possiibility, the stat difference between Arcade and Realistic among ships aren't really consistent, and different ships can see dramatically different stat changes going between the modes. Sometimes game mode even determines which of two ships is the fastest.

I think that could be the explanation, if you used different ships before and after the update.

Well, as an example. I have just installed a seperate install of the July 28th version of the game. I decided to run a test.

New Game - Freeplay - Blackbeard - Class 7 Sloop. Quartermaster Background
Arcade - September 13th build. - Outside Speighttown.
Wind speed 14.6 - Ship speed 5.4

New Game - Freeplay - Blackbeard - Class 7 Sloop. Quartermaster Background
Arcade - July 28th build. - Outside Speighttown.
Wind speed 15.6 - Ship speed 15.4

SAME POINT OF SAIL. I made sure to have the ship facing to the left a bit of the wind in both cases. Neither has an officer yet, and both have the same start date of May 1680 Golden Age of Piracy.

You may however be correct, in that its something I'm not anticipating, but I really feel like the september version is ALOT slower in forward speed. However, perhaps it is a seasonal thing, is the wind randomized? Or is it based on seasonal changes?

I'm talking about stock potc winds, not your mod. :)

Also on this fresh install of July 28th mod, I'm not having any profile or save issues even on death. I can load the game after dying without restarting. This is baffling. However, I'm not going to fight it. :p

Basically, the september 13th zip isn't quite to my liking, so I'll be sticking with the 28th july for now. :) Once I have a better understanding of the game, I'll be sure to try other mods, but I'm having enough troubles with the basic POTC install :p

@Redbeard The wind speed is randomized, and hasn't changed, base mod or my experiment, I can tell you that for certain, but the arcade/realism difference is a separate matter. Effect of wind is just a different matter altogether.

Arcade mode I have no idea about, just threw out the ship differences as a possibility.

Can you check your ship stats for each and report what it lists as the speed stat? They vary between ships (national differences plus a random variation). Also, if the problem is ship stats being set incorrectly, we could then see that as an influence.

Great experiment btw. :)

Wait. I thought.... oh man. I thought starter ships where the same. That... changes things. I always choose the sloop for freeplay, and it didn't occur to me that their might be differences lol.

Ok just checked.

September 13th Save Sloop ->11.98/94.33
July 28th Save - Sloop -> 16.2/ 53.77 British Design.

GOOD LORD. That is quite a difference. :8q

Ahem. Nothing to see here folks. Move along. Confused newbie.:facepalm

@ANSEL I looked into the land profit formula to track down the issue you reported, where you are getting less gold:

Here is the formula, which hasn't changed (last change to that file dailycrewupdate was may 15th):
int land = GetCharacterLand(pchar);
int profit = makeint(LAND_PROFIT_SCALAR * pow(land/100,LAND_PROFIT_POW) * (0.25 + frand(0.5) + makefloat(PerkComm)/4.0) * (0.5 + makefloat(skillComm)/5.0 + makefloat(rand(roundup(makefloat(skillComm)/5.0)))/2.0) * (1.0 + 0.5 * makefloat(PerkBasicLand)));

#define LAND_PROFIT_SCALAR is 5, #define LAND_PROFIT_POW is 1.05, and that hasn't changed from what I can see.

Assuming you haven't changed in the perks and skills your quatermaster has, can you check if maybe your old internal settings had been changed to a higher amount on those settings? It could have been that the new defaults overwrote some of your configurations. There is also some randomness built in.

@Redbeard can you check your July 28th internal settings file and see if the above 2 defines are still 5 and 1.05?

I might be missing something, but searching I can't find any changes that would mess with this.

@Tingyun I dont think i have anything to do with your experiments, as I dont have
them installed, anyway I have the same feeling about the chances as Redbeard.
Something odd with levis September Zip maybe?

@Redbeard don't worry about it!

It is always good to report EVERYTHING. A problem here is too few people bother to create accounts and report things, and then bugs go unnoticed.

And yes, if I hadn't spent time peeking in those ships files, it would shock me as well how different certain ships are, especially on Arcade mode. Even the same ship on realistic, designed by the same nation, can have pretty big stat differences just from pure randomization actually。

So please, Redbeard, continue to report everything just as you are doing, so that we can discover and fix things. :)

@ANSEL I haven't been talking about my experiments at all. There are absolutely no differences there.

I've been talking about the base mod throughout. :)

Internal Settings.h? within the PROGRAM folder?

I'm not really a code guy, but using Notebook ++ I can see that #define LAND_PROFIT_SCALAR is set to 5, and #define LAND_PROFIT_POW is set to 1.05.

In the 28th July fresh install.

Thanks @Redbeard , exactly what I needed. That confirms they haven't changed since the July 28th version.

@ANSEL , see my post above about the land profit formula, it doesn't seem any of the input variables or the equation has changed. It could be the difference you notice is the result of the random or skill factors, see the formula above.

@Pieter Boelen @Levis

This has been going through several steps, let me sumarize where we are in the possible bugs of this thread:

Reported issues likely NOT a result of recent patches:

1) Arcade speed of ships under different wind conditions (it is instead just a reflection of the dramatic ship to ship differences in arcade mode, they have been there throughout)

(maybe Arcade mode ship stats should be made more consistent long-term, they are all over the map right now, @Redbeard 's surprise is very natural)

2) Change in land profit (formula and internal settings inputs have not been changed in any recent months,)

Formula is correct, running down why Ansel is not getting the money he should in other thread

3) Observed wind speeds (has not been changed in recent months, observations result of randomness and seasonal variation)

Nothing here, it is just random

REMAINING ISSUE specific to recent patch

@ANSEL 's display of officer titles issue at top of page 2 of this thread Solved - Profile Bug/Confusion | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

Someone let me know if I missed something.

Last edited:
@Tingyun My Quartermaster's skill in commerce is 10. I never play with auto skill on
this have never gives me any problems, and surely not with land profit.

@Tingyun ]@ANSEL[/USER] 's display of officer titles issue at top of page 2 of this thread Solved - Profile Bug/Confusion | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

What do you mean solved? I have posted 2 new post on the Bugtracker.
I think the confusion is growing to big for me to handle tonighto_O
edit Well now I understand. Confusion yes!
but I still wont someone else than you to look at the profit, I cant recognize it
as I remember before.

Last edited:
@ANSEL Don't worry, I believe you and take the issue very seriously--I would not spend 15 minutes searching for every mention of the relevant function and all the component variables and checking their last modification date for the file if I weren't. :)

I can say neither the formula nor the default settings have changed for land profit. The next thing to check is if you yourself have modified either the july 28th or the current internal settings, to change those two defines @Redbeard helped me confirm were the same default before as now.

If you have never changed default settings, then we can try out your values. You said you have 7200 acres and get 200-400 gold coins? Let me check the math real quick..

Edit completed analyzing the math in dedicated bug report thread

Last edited:
@ANSEL i never said your issue was solved, I marked it REMAINING ISSUE in all caps! :p

You are reading the link title to the post here. :) That is not part of the sentence, it is underlined, it is a link.

@ANSEL see my math in your dedicated post. You should indeed be getting more money, but the problem does not appear to result from the recent update, as nothing has changed in the relevant files.

Please upload your saved game there, and I'll figure out what is going on for you. :)

Things get especially confusing when multiple issues are discussed in the same thread.
Please make new threads for separate issues whenever possible.

It is also more crucial than ever to mention the exact game version and if it is with or without @Levis' and @Tingyun's additional files.

I'm very surprised that stuff that should have remained unchanged now seem to be different.
Makes me wonder if those recent updates have affected more than they're supposed to.

But I wouldn't know because I still haven't touched any of those files at all.
Just can't find a lot of time these days.

Back