• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Profile Bug/Confusion

Guys please make seperate bug tracker topic for seperate problems else we can't keep track of it.

Just have a moment, but to clarify:

@Levis there are no seperate issues needing bugtracker entries now that don't already have them. See my earlier post summing things up for you guys to make everhing clear--I'll quote it here for convenience. There was some confusion about a couple of mechanics players weren't familiar with. Possible someone wants to do a brainstorming on arcade ship stats though.

@Pieter Boelen Many of the things people report as being caused by the new update have nothing to do with it at all (looks like 75% of the issues discussed here are either non-issues or were pre-existing). There is a tendency to notice random trends or stumble upon mechanics you haven't seen before and think these changed, and then they get blamed on the update even when nothing changed.

Here is the summation again, should remove any confusion:

Reported issues likely NOT a result of recent patches:

1) Arcade speed of ships under different wind conditions (it is instead just a reflection of the dramatic ship to ship differences in arcade mode, they have been there throughout)

(maybe Arcade mode ship stats should be made more consistent long-term, they are all over the map right now, redbeard's surprise is very natural)

2) Change in land profit (formula and internal settings inputs have not been changed in any recent months,)

Formula is correct and unchanged, problem lies elsewhere (reported as seperate bug)

3) Observed wind speeds (has not been changed in recent months, observations result of randomness and seasonal variation)

Nothing here, it is just random

REMAINING ISSUE specific to recent patch

Ansel's display of officer titles issue (reported as seperate bug)

Last edited:
I am not saying anything IS or ISN'T related to the new ZIPs.
What I am saying though is that we need to know very exactly which game version people are reporting bugs with.

Even if it seems like it cannot possibly be due to recent updates, it is difficult to know for sure until the "before" and "after" conditions are checked against each other.
It wouldn't be the first time stuff breaks somewhere due to something completely unrelated that gives every appearance of being OK, except that it totally isn't.
You wouldn't believe the kind of insanity I've run into over the years! :shock

For true mystery bugs, the way I do my bug-hunting is to first replicate the problem in the same game version it was reported with.
Then the next step is to go back to previous game versions until I find one where it wasn't wrong.
Next up: WinMerge between those two versions and start changing them to be closer together until I finally find the culprit.

But to do any of that, it is absolutely crucial for a bug report to mention the specific game version (so version number + date shown + what extra ZIPs/fixes were applied) that the bug was observed with.
This doesn't necessarily mean the problem is BECAUSE of that version. But it also doesn't mean that it isn't.
You really don't know until after a proper investigation and checking against those earlier versions.

@Levis there are no seperate issues needing bugtracker entries now that don't already have them. See my earlier post summing things up for you guys to make everhing clear--I'll quote it here for convenience. There was some confusion about a couple of mechanics players weren't familiar with. Possible someone wants to do a brainstorming on arcade ship stats though.
All three of the issues in your post deserve their own threads. One of those has a thread now, the other two don't.
Very likely there is a good explanation for those observations and they could very well be "Not a Bug".
But it is easier to discuss those in separate threads than to discuss them all in the same place at the same time.

Long story short: If a discussion does not related to the subject of the thread, find a thread that DOES match with the subject OR start a new one.
I don't mind people starting new threads. If threads should be merged, that is easily done. But splitting discussions is a pain indeed.

@Pieter Boelen agreed it is better for people to start a new post.

But here is my situation: I can't manage the forum or split off discussions. You and Levis are gone for the night, and I know Levis is going to have his hands full the next day with tons of critical bugs, so despite having tons to do myself I decide to do what I can to lighten his crazy next day bug load.

I know two of the reported issues are probably not issues at all. So I ask a couple of questions, and explain what is going on, and right there--confirmed no bug with arcade mode, no bug with wind, 2 eliminated.

Then I do what I can to look into the land issue, switching over my discussion to the new bug report thread as soon as it is opened, and presenting a full analysis and summary of past research there in condensed form, to collect everything in the new thread as soon as it is opened.

So 2/4 issues resolved, 1 of the remaining 2 mostly researched, and finished as soon as saved game posted.

Let me know if any step of that I would be more helpful by doing something else. The only thing I can think is that when someone reports an issue in an unrelated post, I make a new bug thread myself linking to that for them. I can do that, if that's what you would think best, I only didn't because it feels presumptuous for me to take it upon myself to make posts for others people's issues, but maybe I am overthinking that.

Just looking for how to be most helpful going forward. :)

@Tingyun: I certainly understand and there is nothing wrong with that and your efforts are certainly being a great help!

The main issue is that if multiple issues are discussed in the same thread at the same time, it becomes easy to lose track of which posts relate to which discussions.
So if you do get the chance, feel free to start a new thread and continue separate discussions there instead. Anyone should be able to do that.

Ideally people should remain on topic all the time anyway, but despite trying to encourage that, it is a difficult thing to enforce.
More often than not, people start a Bug Tracker thread and immediately put 5 unrelated bugs in there.
That seems to make sense to them. But for tracking purposes, it really doesn't.

We've had before that people report two bugs, one of them relating to the subject of the thread.
Subject of the thread gets fixed, issue gets archived, second bug gets forgotten about.
And ages later, the original reported starts wondering why that second bug was never fixed, despite him actually reporting it.
It happens. :facepalm

So in other words:
Let me know if any step of that I would be more helpful by doing something else. The only thing I can think is that when someone reports an issue in an unrelated post, I make a new bug thread myself linking to that for them. I can do that, if that's what you would think best, I only didn't because it feels presumptuous for me to take it upon myself to make posts for others people's issues, but maybe I am overthinking that.
I personally don't mind you doing that at all. Ideally those other people should do it, but if they don't, somebody else should.
Which means it is usually me (or nobody) and since it is a pain to split things after a lot of discussion has already happened (and I am busy with other things), it may not end up happening at all.
So better sooner than later! And who does it, makes absolutely no difference to me.

For reference, you can include in such a thread the name of the original reporter and a quote/link to relating to that original report.

Back