• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Profiles and the Stormy Start

Elsilhe

Powder Monkey
Storm Modder
Yar!

1. Profile and Quick Save
I don't know if I have messed something up here, but I'm unable to do the Quick Save (F5). It says something like "Quick Save FAILED [...] Profile not ACTIVE". I admit that I first started the game with the default profile name "Player", then adjusted some settings and then started a new game with a different profile name. Could this be the reason?
Also, I was unable to load manually saved files with this custom profile name. Could these be somehow connected?

2. Stormy Start
I don't know if it's extremely bad luck or what, but regardless what setup I choose (for example, which ship I would like to use from the start), the Stormy Start always gets me somewhere with almost wrecked Tartane Boat (which I don't even have access from the beach), with zero gold and no weapons whatsoever. How can one raise from this ditch?

Regards,
Heikki

1. Despite our best efforts, the Profile system still doesn't always work right. Try removing the "options" file from your main game folder, perhaps empty out the SAVE folder as well.
See if that makes the game behave itself. :facepalm

2. Do you use Iron Man Mode? That sounds like the EVIL Stormy Start option which is intended as an extra challenge in the early game.

1. Despite our best efforts, the Profile system still doesn't always work right. Try removing the "options" file from your main game folder, perhaps empty out the SAVE folder as well.
See if that makes the game behave itself. :facepalm

2. Do you use Iron Man Mode? That sounds like the EVIL Stormy Start option which is intended as an extra challenge in the early game.

Thanks!
1. Clearing the saves AND the "options" file DID work!

2. Hehe... yes, I am playing the Iron Man Mode! I thought that doing so I won't miss any of the DirectSail experience, and gain a larger Archipelago.
Already got to my Tartane around Bonaire, but what the **ll I should do there without money? All I got is 2 linen, which is contrabanded in Bonaire, and that doesn't sound worth a risk smuggling... This IS evil :D

Open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and find:
Code:
// ======================================
// REALISM OPTIONS:
// ======================================
// Included in Realistic Game Mode:
#define REALISTIC_SHIP_INERTIA       0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Ships require counter-rudder and don't sail as if on rails
#define SHORE_DANGER_ALARM         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Red flashing icon and danger music do not start until enemies draw their blade
#define DISCOVER_SAIL_TO         1     // BOOL - 0=OFF - Shores and ports must be discovered by sailing there manually before you can use Sail To
#define DISCOVER_FAST_TRAVEL       1     // BOOL - 0=OFF - Town locations must be discovered by finding them manually before you can use Fast Travel
#define NAVIGATION_EQUIPMENT       0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Items required for certain navigational information to become available
#define ENABLE_LIMITED_SHIPCLASS     0     // BOOL - 1=ON - When player takes command of ship of too high tier, Leadership and Sailing skills drops
#define CANNOT_RELOAD_WHILE_FIGHTING   0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Your gun won't reload while your sword is drawn
#define SAIL_OPERATE_DELAY         3     // INT - sailors will operate sails this amount of seconds after receiving command (set to 0 to restore stock PotC)
// Included in Iron Man Mode:
#define OPEN_SEA_MOD           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Worldmap enlarged for realistic DirectSail
#define WORLDMAP_DISABLED         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - DirectSail enforced
#define SAILTO_DISABLED           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Cannot Sail-To any ships at sea
#define ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Spyglass and compass additional information disabled, cannot move camera to non-player ships
#define REALISTIC_ABILITIES         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Rush, Immediate Reload and Instant Boarding disabled
#define ITEM_REALISM           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Items like rubies, diamonds and inca statuettes give no skill bonuses (books and items like compass etc. still do)
You can change the regular Realistic Game Mode there a bit to be closer to Iron Man Mode, without being 100% evil.

Back