1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Progress Screenshots

Discussion in 'Development' started by Armada, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Martes

Martes Master Mariner Storm Modeller Storm Modder

It may look awkward on a very large ship, but it may be possible to represent single gun as one rectangle, dividing them by decks.

At least it will be informative :)

2. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    Most of this has been to get the same level of functionality, albeit probably a very different approach. I don't actually know how PotC selects targets when you press "fire", but that auto-targeting has always been a great feature.

It just picks the closest target on the assumption that it's easier to hit than one further away, especially if the closer ship is blocking your line of fire.

Those are the two options I had in mind, as they're probably the most natural evolution of the current HUD. I will have to experiment to see which one looks right.

Captain Armstrong likes this.
  3. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    A different approach which allows different calibre cannons on the same ship.
    In other words: You're outdoing PotC anyway. ;)

Agreed. It makes sense too; as a role player, you cannot be expected to fulfil the role of every crewmember on the ship at the same time anyway. :razz

Makes sense. :onya

4. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy Actually a Captain TOP CONTRIBUTOR Programmer News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

Software Developer
    Possibly like we do in Tides of War. Each box has a 'completion' ratio showing how many of the remaining guns are loaded. The color of the box also denotes the temp of the guns as a battery (guns can overheat and explode). The shot type of each battery is selectable by clicking the icon. Only batteries available to that ship will show on the UI.
    ss (2015-07-25 at 03.50.45).png ss (2015-07-25 at 03.52.19).png

Martes likes this.
  5. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Administrator Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Game Developer
    I've now made the Indefatigable the player ship, so you'll be able to walk around her deck before you go to sea.
    Most areas are accessible, but the character is too tall to walk below deck without crouching, so it's currently off limits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you set sail, you'll notice there are now two enemy ships posing as targets, so you can give your more powerful ship a proper test. :pirate41:

[​IMG]

Finally, I've added a time compression indicator so you know what speed you've selected, whether time has been sped up or slowed down (for capturing screenshots).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Three ships now, then? With at least two being usable for the player?
    Very nice!

7. Martes

Martes Master Mariner Storm Modeller Storm Modder

8. Armada

Game Developer
    You might have noticed in the previous screenshots that the time-of-day system is working, courtesy of the Tenkoku Dynamic Sky asset, which produces some amazing procedural skies in real time. As day transitions to night, the obvious question that I guarantee will come to most people's minds is... "Can we have lights on the ships?" :rolleyes:

Yes, you can.

[​IMG]

I've added some lights to the port scene as well, and all lights on land and sea will automatically turn on/off when appropriate.
    They all have a flame effect, which is only visible if the lantern model has a transparent glass material. I made the lanterns on land slightly transparent, but the Indy's lanterns use an opaque material shared with other parts, so I can't show the flames there (unless @Martes wants to change that :p ). They're visible on the Rossiya and Aurora, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I haven't enabled shadows for these lights yet, but that will have a performance impact, so we may need to make it a graphics option in the final game for those with less powerful hardware.

NOTE: If these night screenshots appear too dark on your screen, please let me know, as it varies with screen brightness/contrast. The ambient scene lighting might need tweaking a bit more before the next build, which I'd like to release very soon.

9. Pieter Boelen

That is really great stuff, @Armada! :bow

10. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy Actually a Captain TOP CONTRIBUTOR Programmer News Gatherer Hearts of Oak Donator

Software Developer
    Lighting is easily the most expensive thing to add to a game. By using full realtime lighting and multiple light sources, you can bring a smooth running game to its' knees pretty quickly.

11. Pieter Boelen

So... Any thoughts on how to reduce the impact of that?

12. Armada

Game Developer
    We can limit the number of real-time lights in a scene, or bake the lighting and switch the lightmaps between day and night.

The lanterns are currently real-time, and I've not noticed a major performance drop at night in testing, but I'll ask for some feedback from players once the new build is live so we can get an idea for the performance on a wide range of hardware.

In the meantime, I've made the Indy's lanterns transparent and double-sided, along with the other lanterns, so they now have a nice effect with the light reflecting off the interior glass. I increased the night ambient lighting too, so the scene isn't quite as dark as before.

[​IMG]

Martes and Pieter Boelen like this.
  13. Homo eructus

Homo eructus Freebooter Storm Modder

Progress is looking positively great!

I know I'm getting overexcited again with wishful thinking but... it would be great if was possible down the line to use lighting as a game mechanic, like turning your lights off to throw a pursuing enemy off your track or approaching an enemy without being seen.

I know, I know, I'll stop.

14. Pieter Boelen

On short term, probably won't happen. But eventually, I don't see why not.
    PotC:NH also has a feature where ships are less visible at night and the Black Pearl is even more "stealth".

15. TommyM

TommyM Sovereign of Death Storm Modder

Lazer guided wea
    This truly makes me happy to see the hard work you guys put into this magnificent game.
    Great work and keep on at it!

Armada likes this.
  16. Armada

Game Developer
    Most materials are starting to look quite good in the game, but I couldn't help but notice the standard cannon texture looks particularly low-res, and a normal map makes this look even worse.
    So, I've made a new texture with accompanying metallic, normal and height maps to give these low-poly guns the illusion of being more detailed. The main improvement, apart from the resolution, is the removal of baked-in lighting from the old texture, which doesn't work well with Unity's physically-based rendering.

See below for a comparison and a highlight of the improvements:
    (Note the water is not being rendered in these screenshots because this shows "edit mode", not "play mode".)

Here's the yellow version of the original "inzanegun1" texture with a normal map and specularity applied. Note the colours on the gun barrel look a bit weird where the light catches it.
    [​IMG]

Here's the new texture with a similar yellow carriage. I took inspiration from HMS Victory's guns, which have unpainted wooden wheels.
    The colour texture itself doesn't have any detailing on the gun barrel: that's all done through the normal and height maps, which give it a 3D effect despite being a low-poly shape.
    The carriage and wheels are very clean right now, but some weathering or smaller details could be added to the texture later.
    [​IMG]

You can see the 3D effect quite well on the muzzle below, where the smaller ring appears slightly raised. The mesh is unchanged; you're just seeing an illusion.
    [​IMG]

I also made a red carriage version for the Indy, and checked that the texture fits the carronade model as well as a regular guns. The carronade's barrel is a mixture of actual mesh geometry and the height map illusion.
    [​IMG]
    This should give imported ships a small visual upgrade without needing to replace the gun models with higher-poly versions. :pirate41:

17. Pieter Boelen

18. Armada

Game Developer
    Returning to the dialogue system, I've now set up a camera angle for the NPC and added facial animations and a voice clip. Each line of dialogue can have its own camera angle and sequence of animations and/or audio, so this system is very flexible.

I chose an angle slightly off to one side, rather than having the NPC look straight at the camera, as you can see below. This is one of the default angles, but we can specify our own if necessary.

[​IMG]

I also redesigned the loading screen with the NHR logo and a rotating wheel in place of the PotC Aztec coin. The middle of the banner (which is semi-transparent) has plenty of space that could be used for gameplay tips, rather than covering the middle of the screen.

[​IMG]

The loading background is still randomised, but I've changed the text to say "Loading" instead of specifying the location name each time. The background itself might be a better way of representing the location being loaded in a later iteration.

I'm now very close to having a new release ready; I just need to integrate @RobinPC's enhancements for the town location. ;)

19. Pieter Boelen

Indeed having the location name on the loading screens was a complication in PotC:NH as well.
    We simplified things for ourselves by changing the specific names to generic ones.
    Simplifying even further sound very wise. :onya

As for the camera offset angle, the Build mod does have a feature for that but it is of by default.
    Only reason for that is that the offset can place the camera inside surrounding geometry.
    Is that the case for Unity as well? Or is some collision detection applied to the camera?

20. ☭Michael_Myers☭

☭Michael_Myers☭ Sailor Apprentice

Is the ships import from the original game or you made it from scratch,if you guys make those from scratch,that's impressive !