• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Promotion on Social Media

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
We've got a Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and IndieDB page. But they could sure do with a bit more exposure!
Everybody who can, please Like and Share the things we post there!
And if you have any suggestions on things we could also post, please do so!

Do you have a Facebook account yourself? Then why not join the PiratesAhoy! Group?
Imagine us commenting on all sorts of relevant posts, along with #hashtags promoting our game (#HeartsOfOakGame)!
The more we can make our presence felt around the Internet, the better it will be! :cheers

If you haven't yet you should create a Twitter account just for Hearts of Oak. It will help with promotion in the long run if all the social media associated with the game have the same name. Say you went to upload a video on YouTube you could have YouTube automatically post the video to twitter with a quick description.

We've got that almost with the PiratesAhoy! Twitter account. I recently started to use the #HeartsOfOakGame hashtag to group the HoO stuff together.

I was thinking maybe we could have a thread for promotional tools, images, logos and things like that.

Pieter - For the Twitter page, do you think it would be good to have the HoO, New Horizons and GOF logos featured on the left side?
Will look at it tomorrow. Perhaps I can add the PA! Logo somewhere on the page too.

Last edited:
I just edited it ever-so-slightly by making the "glow" around the logo a bit brighter.
Don't want to make it too bright though, because that starts looking stupid. :facepalm

Could I give a little sugestion. Don't post that much on facebook.
Like today there where 7 updates on the Pirates Ahoy page. When you post that much people tend to read it less. Just try to have a max of two posts a day. If you have other news just wait till the next day and post it then. This will keep people much more interested in stuff.

I usually don't post that much. But today I was bored. :wp

You're definitely right though.

Could I give a little sugestion. Don't post that much on facebook.
Like today there where 7 updates on the Pirates Ahoy page. When you post that much people tend to read it less. Just try to have a max of two posts a day. If you have other news just wait till the next day and post it then. This will keep people much more interested in stuff.
I agree that is a great strategy and should be used across all the social pages.

Just noticed our # for HoO is also the name of a football team. This might make promotion on Twitter a little tricky.

Well, I'm not a member of the team but let me make a little suggestion, why don't we add HOO to Steam Greenlight? Many good indie games became worldwide famous by being voted there.
It would greatly improve the distribution even if it was free to play game. We would also add language versions, achievements, updates and other media much easier. We would just need to have an active PR team for that. It was only my suggestion and by writing "we" I mean the PiratesAhoy of course.

I decided to try something a bit more tasteful for our Twitter account: https://twitter.com/PiratesAhoy_
No more screenshot on the header, as I didn't think that fit too well.
Instead, I used the outline of the screenshot and put it on a parchment background.
That being quite dull, I figured I'd add some text as well to explain what we are all about.

Note also that I redid some colours on the background of the Twitter account.
Seems a bit more legible now.

Edit: Did the same on our Facebook account now: https://www.facebook.com/PiratesAhoyCommunity

Last edited:
BTW: If you want, you would be very welcome to join the HoO Promotion Team. :woot
I would be most honored, Pieter but does it mean leaving all Storm Engine things apart? I barely have time to do my translation and I had plans concerning POTC in the future, on the other side, it would be great, but I can't do too many things at once (I'm not YOU;)). I have to think about it cause it's really generous offer from you.

Back