• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Queen Anne's Revenge in 3-D!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
For years I have been searching for real blueprints for the English built Concord of 1710, she was captured by France and renamed “La Concorde de Nantes” in 1711. She was later used as a slaver until she was captured by pirate Captain Benjamin Hornigold in 1717. Hornigold turned her over to Edward Teach (better known as Blackbeard), and made him her captain. Blackbeard of course renamed the ship Queen Anne's Revenge, and the rest is history! We have the movie version of her in POTC, but we also need the real thing! It would be great to see her come to life in 3D!

It seems some enterprising students have managed to do just that working from real French frigate plans from the late 17'th century. Three years ago, a professor and his students from the Advanced Engineering Design & Technology program at New River Community College partnered with North Carolina Maritime Museum. After years of hard work, their project is now the centerpiece for the museum's Queen Anne’s Revenge display.They recently released a Youtube video of their creation :

I am certainly no expert, but I would think that if she was indeed built in England, wouldn't plans for an English frigate be where you would start? It is fascinating stuff just the same though. They plan on officially presenting their achievement to the public this Friday at 7 pm at the museum. You can read more about it HERE! We also also still need to find an accurate version of the Whydah!

Attachments

• 640px-Pirate_Flag_of_Blackbeard_(Edward_Teach).svg.png
    640px-Pirate_Flag_of_Blackbeard_(Edward_Teach).svg.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 52
It does look pretty good, so credit where it's due. It certainly has the right kind of hull shape, and the interior looks really well done.

However... :wp
  • I'm not a fan of their plain-wood textures on the hull; some paint would have been nice!
  • Deck planking going widthways? Not sure where they got that idea from.
  • Headrails could use some work, though admittedly that is a tricky part to model.
  • Lack of rigging is a bit jarring; they could at least have added shrouds and stays.
  • According to the flag, they're sailing straight into the wind.
Nonetheless, it's a good model and should serve its purpose well enough as a museum exhibit. :onya

Eeee their exterior decoration, textures, and rigging/masts are very sub-par, I wouldn't accept it for HoO. They reverse engineered the plans of another ship to fit the specifications of the queen Anne's revenge? Thats impressive at least. The Brits might have copied from the French every now and then during that period, but probably less so than the time period of HoO, where the surveyor of the navy Sir Thomas Slade turned adapting French hull forms to British requirements into an art.

Last edited:
Back