• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Queen Anne's Revenge

Bathtub-pirate

Sailor
Storm Modder
I was looking through the ships in the game and realized that you guys have the Queen Anne's Revenge implemented .... as a pirate galleon. But the Queen Anne's Revenge in reality was a fleuyt. And since fleuyts are in the game, I was wondering why you made it a galleon.

Another thing: xebecs. I love a xebec as much as the next corsair. However - how accurate is it that there were xebecs in the Caribbean? It is my understanding that xebecs were indeed fast and could sail very high upwind. But due to their light construction and the combination of a low freeboard and a shallow draft they were clearly built for Mediterranean waters, where they originated from. As one source has it, the xebec would "role heavily on anything more than moderate waves".

So I wonder how well repesented xebecs were in the Caribbean (if they were at all)?

The Queen Anne's Revenge we have is based on the fantasy version from the film PotC: On Stranger Tides.
It is not intended to represent the real ship in any way, and is included by popular demand from the film fans.

I believe we reduced the chances of encountering xebecs some time ago, due to the points you mentioned.
They are now supposed to be very rare vessels with unique characteristics.

The Queen Anne's Revenge we have is based on the fantasy version from the film PotC: On Stranger Tides.
It is not intended to represent the real ship in any way, and is included by popular demand from the film fans.

Okay, that explains it.

I believe we reduced the chances of encountering xebecs some time ago, due to the points you mentioned.
They are now supposed to be very rare vessels with unique characteristics.
Don't get me wrong. I am aware the chances being fairly low. I was just wondering if anybody ever had eyes on any account of a xebec being in the Caribbean.

I'm not sure about whether xebecs ever were seen in the Caribbean, but they are included for variety's sake anyway.
And in the case of the Arcadia Xebec, that one is too gorgeous to waste. :keith

The real historical Queen Anne's Revenge was not a fluyt. She was a Guineaman.

The Disney abortion should have its own classification: perhaps.... GalleoschowhulkKraakass :monkeydance

MK

Another thing: xebecs. I love a xebec as much as the next corsair. However - how accurate is it that there were xebecs in the Caribbean? It is my understanding that xebecs were indeed fast and could sail very high upwind. But due to their light construction and the combination of a low freeboard and a shallow draft they were clearly built for Mediterranean waters, where they originated from. As one source has it, the xebec would "role heavily on anything more than moderate waves".

So I wonder how well repesented xebecs were in the Caribbean (if they were at all)?

Xebecs could sail upwind well, but they sailed best on a beam reach, or just slightly closer.

They wouldn't have been seen in the Caribs at all, although rare exceptions were possible. However, not all xebecs were built for the Mediterranean, and some could handle the forces encountered at sea.
Some of these xebecs were designed with oceangoing in mind. I remember one set of plans in particular, a Spanish Xebec from the 1750's. The most noticable differences from the traditional xebec hull were, as one would expect, more draft and more deadrise.
The Baltic states also built and used xebecs for a period of time.

The xebecs we have are all Mediterranean xebecs, and are being used because... A. Because people were kind enough to make the models, which are extremely high quality (Arcadia), or B. they are there (all the other xebecs).

Remember, low freeboard doesn't always mean that a vessel isn't suited for the ocean. The barque Peking, for example, had a minimum freeboard of about 5.5 feet when loaded, despite her 377 foot rigged length. Regardless, she was all but unsinkable in any weather that can be found at sea. As long as the hatches were closed and secured properly in order to prevent downflooding, Peking, and vessels like her, could have their decks thirty feet under water and still recover. That's an extreme example, but it makes the intended point. Baltimore clippers were also extremely seaworthy, despite their extremely low freeboard.

The real historical Queen Anne's Revenge was not a fluyt. She was a Guineaman.
Guineaman isn't really a ship type of it's own. It basically just means "slave ship". So any ship used and possibly modified for slave trade could be considered a guineaman - regardless of it's type.
Oooh..that explains the many slaves of blackbeard in the film. Nice! Thanks for the info modernknight1 & Bathtub-pirate! :onya
Oh man..I really have to read more about ships, nautical stuffs and other stuffs concerning the sea life back in the day. :facepalm

Back