• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question about Ship chest

I noticed it just now, thats something to look forward to. Really nice, just as my imagination was hoping for. It has potential :)

I think the question about the ship chest has been answered. You may close the thread if you want to. (I actually recommend deleting unrelated posts)

Last edited:
Just about all modders started out being players like yourself. But players who took the "if you don't like it, change it" idea to heart.
That is how you make things better: By doing things the way you want to see them.
And in the case of PotC, you can then upload your work and if people like it, then it will be included in the main modpack for everyone to enjoy.

Sure we listen to input and suggestions from regular players as well. Especially if we agree and know how to change it. :yes

I've been following custom projects like the hearts of oak for many years in different genres when they attempt to copy a game. To not discourage or "criticise" the developers too much, I'll put in a few opinions in this thread (since it's been brought up already). Just a few opinions... (based on my experience of witnessing many such projects over time)

1. If something works well in the game you're trying to copy (don't attempt to fix it TOO much, if it's working, it's working, no change needed, just a facelift is needed)
2. Don't go wild on the details before first release (too many things put into the game pre-release can turn out to be a mistake)
3. If the game you're trying to copy is very simple in nature, try to make YOUR game simple in nature too on first release, then take it from there
4. If the game you're copying is fun because of simplicity, be careful to try to improve that part of the game by implementing more complexity
5. There is a reason you are programming a new game based on an old game, it's because you liked the old game (Try to consider that before changing every aspect of it)
6. Every change you make is an experiment, it may succeed and it may fail. Every change you copy from the old game is a success by default
7. Fun factor is more important than details. Fun factor is more important than details.Fun factor is more important than details.
8. Find the cruicial elements of the game, and spend an incredible amount of time making sure the basic elements are fun.
9a. Why did games like Open Transport Tycoon succeed? Because they copied every aspect of the original game in perfect state, and then changed the game from that point on. Might be worth considering.
9b. If you pretend to be copying the game but are really creating an entirely new game, it's a gamble. Don't forget it. (In this case with hearts of oak, I think that gamble may succeed, based on what i've seen)

10. Use other people to test if the game is fun. Developers who test their own project become delusional over time because when they perform thousands of tests themselves. (If you drive your car through a 100 mile long tunnel, you'll become blind of speed eventually, the same is true for testing fun factor, testing other elements of the game. USE other people to test if its fun, don't do it yourself, as a developer)

11: Exellent architecture and excellent graphics is not enough. Excellent architecture and excellent graphics is not enough. You need to adjust how the world is shown to create a vivid colorful but simple old fashional environment of the 3d representation. Look at the cozy environment of PotC you'll understand why its magical. Look at the incredible nice graphics in modern 3d shooters, you'll understand why its beautiful. But a pirate game needs a cozy environment before a nice graphically environment.

12. Overly complex GUI systems absolutely destroys the game. There are ways to implement advanced features of the game without implementing more advanced GUI's, it just takes an einstein to figure out how to do that.

13. In all games that have ever succeeded, there was one common elements in all of them. Simplicity on the surface, with potential complexity under the hood. Your job as a developer is to remove complexity from the eye, and keep the complexity available if the player digs deeper to find it.

14a. Avoid symmetry. (Huge shipyards with a hundred vessels at the port might be a tempting feature to implement into the game, but it's a mistake, don't do that, it adds absolutely nothing to the game, just take my words for this)

14b. The player wants to see his own ship at the port (with one or two minor cheaper vessels). He wants to go "Wow, look at my wonderful ship". He doesn't want to go mining for his ship in a swarm of other beautiful ships. Simplicity always works.

14c. You may be thinking to yourself "But i'm a developer, I WANT to create huge shipyards, it's so cool". Being an artist is about sacrifice, it takes a piece of your ego to NOT implement beautiful things.

15. Decide early on whether or not this game will be a personal game for your own taste or if its going to be for you and for other people as well. When you have made that decision, shape your game philosophy and stick to it, no "half assed" attempts.

16. Avoid duplicating "things" in the game of equal value. Make sure that each item is useful to the player, to avoid confusion and avoid redundancy. The player wants to experience that each change has a meaning. If a new item or a new quest doesn't add or take away anything to that experience, it's redundant to have it in the game.

17a. When you walk into the tavern, is your only thought "I want to get to sea again as quickly as possible because I love it there" then you can be sure that you have succeeded implementing fun factor with sailing ships.

17b. When you walk into the store to buy a gun, is your only thought "I want to get into the jungle as quickly as possible to find someone to shoot" then you can be sure that you have succeeded implementing fun factor with guns in the game.

17c. Ditto with swords. (Try to make these 3 basic elements of the game FUN, almost desperate to get back to playing out these 3 elements)

18. To maximize the fantazy factor in the game I highly suggest sticking to the no-clear-voice characters as you find in PotC.

19. Music in the game should be the "optimistic" type of music, which brings your mood up to a joyful level, avoid the "sad" kind of music.

20. If the player chooses to be an evil pirate, it's important that the developers try to make the player still believe he is the good guy. It's quite twisted how this works, but the player does never want to be the bad guy and game designers know this. It takes quite alot of skill to implement that, but you should allow the player to be the bad guy without being the bad guy, as strange as that sounds. (Every "bad guy game" out there ultimately leads the player to believe he is actually good without even knowing it) if you can manage to do that properly, the player feel he has more options to "play out his dark side" without paying the consequences of that. There ought to be short term consequences, but not long term.

21. The longer it takes to open the hatches and prepare the guns for offensive, the more romantic and more special each battle will be. If the hatches and guns only takes a few seconds to open up, the less romantic each battle will be. That doesn't mean the player should "work hard" to get the guns prepared, no, he should be able to prepare the gun with the single click of a button, but it should take some time to get the guns ready. 10 seconds is probably a good number here (give or take) and the guns ought to move forward and backward asynchronously (so that each gun moves before or after the next, and a small amount of difference in the angle it moves (to prevent symmetry here)) perhaps with a bit rumbling sound on the wooden floor

22. The sails in PotC is "too loose". There ought to be more tension on the sails the stronger the wind is. Keep in mind that these canvas are carrying one thousand tons of weight, there should be more tension on the sails.

23. Ability to give permanent orders to your other ships, instead of having to give specific orders to those ships every time you go to sea. You can give each ship a "job" and it sticks to that job, and also form "formations". If there is anything that mattered back in those days, is ship formations.

24. Ability to toss planks between two ships while at sea, so you can walk over to the other ship in real time without overcomplicating the interface for achieving that (automated).

25. More rats on the ship. Have to keep in mind that, rats also travelled back in those days and they still do today, rats were common "passengers" on those ships and they travelled between continents just like humans did, by joining the ship.

"Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away" - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas there, mate! We're definitely aiming for most of those already, though it'll take a while to accomplish.

One major misunderstanding though: We are not copying any existing game.
While we do take inspiration from SMP, AoP, possibly even AC4 and especially PotC: New Horizons,
the intention is to create the game that those games are not. Basically we want to accomplish what the Storm Engine does not allow us to.
The final result should be a game that is fun and interesting to play for anyone with any interest in the Age of Sail.

Thanks Pieter, the things I say may look blatantly obvious, but it's important to reflect over these things. :) (There are two ways of knowing things, you know that pizza taste good and you know pizza should be part of life, but the pizza baker knows where to find the ingredients, reflecting over obvious things helps reduce the time it takes to fix mistakes. It is not just important to reflect over it, it's decisive [Many modders out there:)])

1. I would like to see "prisons" on the ship, the bigger the ship, the bigger the prison. Ability to put captured captains in it (perhaps feed him to the shark, invite him to the cabbin for a cup of tea or even put him ashore on a strange island. Perhaps the ability to extract info from him if you increase his food rations)

2. When guns fire, I would like to see a variation in the length the outburst of smoke travels. In PotC the smoke travel an equal amount of distance once it exits the cannon. (1. Varying length of smoke outburst and 2. Varying degree of colors, some cannons burst out more blackish smoke, other more whitish smoke) (Powder charges and the cannon interior vary, so the smoke that exits it also vary based on the physics and circumstances when cannon is fired)

3. Accurate star constellations during night time, it is useful in navigation

4. Real live compass that "works" on the ship deck and ability to use real map tools to set up a "real" navigation route

5. Ability to "hit" the windows to the cabbin and a small probability to "kill the captain" in a cannon ball fight. (Small text that appears on top of screen "Captain of enemy ship killed") assuming the captain is in the cabbin, the game can perhaps generate a likelyhood of that being the case where the captain actually is in his cabbin during a fight. Chances are he is on deck too, but it can be random. This should not be very likely or it can become a boring "repetitive" action throughout the game. It should be rare (or based on the cannoneer skill points)

6. The speed factor of which animation happen in a game can sometimes determine how fun the game is. If you have been playing games where the speed at which something happens, you'd notice that speed matter a heck of a lot in games. I think the speed at which people fall after being shot is important, the same with how fast you walk, run. Try to get this right, if things happens "too fast" it may impact how fun the game is. (Again, blatantly obvious, but i'm bringing it to your attention) it's deadly important. In PotC when you're walking, shooting someone and the guy is falling straight down, the speed at which this happens has a magical effect on fun factor, it seems like an irrelevant thing, but it's not. Take good care of what speed you choose in game. Even a hundred milliseconds reduction in speed, could possibly double fun factor. I'm obsessed with details like these, WHY things turn out to be fun and why it doesn't. And it's often the details that people don't usually pay much attention to. I'm a huge fan of "slower" things, it seems like (in many games) if you turn down speed, you increase the duration (or in other magical ways) increase fun factor. Sometimes it can be opposite when speed increase fun, but in more cases I've found that slower is better. It just has to be tested in all ways possible and find the ultimate speed to use here. In a pirate game, where your ammo is limited and you have to travel a long way to get new ammo; I think the right thing would be to let the player shoot at normal speed, and the animation of the character being hit fall slowly, to increase the fun and maximize every bullet. (expensive bullets) (I think the player want to be able to react fast, but want to see the effect at a slower rate, to maximize the experience of each bullet [victim falls very slowly, straight down])

7. No sound when victims fall after being shot. Sadists want to hear screams, normal players like you and me want to "see" the effect of a bullet, it's less violent. And I think players of pirate games really are not fans of violence, but the sight of violence. Pure violence (as in screaming) is probably not a wanted thing in a pirate game. IF you put sounds to the victims, make sure it's a harmless "hum" or "buuhh" but no screams. Preferably no sound at all. (But like I proposed, if there is sound, the kind of sound he gives off should be the kind of sound that is 30% humorous, and 70% just funny and a tad violent)

8. Avoid over designing characters to make people look "tough" or "modern". It's okay with a little bit of style, but it shouldn't be put on all characters, be sure to keep those humble looking sailors, those dirty cheap drunkards are part of what makes the game fun. I know there are many designers/modders out there who like to create stylish characters, but this is really an old fashional game, please take that into account.

9. Avoid dialogs with words over a specific amount of words. (Set a maximum allowed amount of words in line of each dialog, and make sure ALL dialogs throughout the entire game, never exceeds that amount of words)

10. Vocabulary optimization (word reduction and word replacement to reduce 100 words to 50 [too long conversations]) If the modders divide the job of creating dialogs into two streams. One is a designer of a dialog, and then that person deliver the dialog to a guy who optimizes the dialog. Sort of like a word-factory, where several modders improve the text after one another.

11. Simplification of permanent features in the game. (Things that you are forced to see over and over, should be simple and exciting). For example, you will always need to go to the tavern and recruit sailors, so you're forced to read the dialog about recruiting crew, make sure that dialog is simplified and joyful to read because you're going to have to deal with that dialog over and over). So "simplification of permanent features that you have to deal with over and over".

Last edited:
We'll definitely keep it in mind. :yes

For stuff like your #11, we have the idea that you can delegate all sorts of tasks to your officers.
So stuff like "hiring crew" could be something the player doesn't even need to deal with in the later game.

Back