• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question only game

Looking at this hurricane "Sandy" makes me dizzy. What a huge storm and with the cold front coming in and the two meeting it could be the "Perfect Storm". Will you be effected by her?

Yes. I'm pretty much in the crosshairs. I can't believe a hurricane is coming up there this late. It's almost Halloween. Will you be affected?

Yes. This storm is 500 miles in diameter and will definitely reach us. However, we will be on the backside of the storm so we will get a massive snow storm here in the mountains. They are "predicting" up to 10 feet of snow here when the cold front coming in from the West meets up with the Hurricanes leading edge. Hopefully, we are prepared. I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best. If its gets real bad, I will not be here for a few days. I will be busy clearing roads and helping out others. Are you prepared?

10 feet of snow????? That can't be right. They would never find you again. They say this damn thing is 1000 miles across from one tip to the other. And its slow moving. I'm already getting some wind gusts here and we just had high tide and the water pretty much flooded my street but it receded now but each high tide will be worse as the storm gets closer. My girlfriend found a generator at a Stop&Shop of all places and called to tell me so I told her to buy it quick and I'd race over and pick it up. We have been looking for a generator but they were all sold out days ago and when a new shipment comes in you have to stand in a line that stretches to Spain. Forget that.
The big thing though is the storm surge. I have to get my freezer and refrigerator in the garage up on cinder blocks that I bought at a local Home Depot. And I have to either wrap up the motors on the oil burner and hot water heater or take them off completely. After Irene I had to spend $2000 on a new motor for each one and buy another freezer for another grand. Somehow the old refrigerator survived the flood.
Tomorrow I expect conditions to go downhill all day as the wind picks up and the tide comes in. Amazing this thing will affect both of us in different ways.

I did not realize I said 10 feet, I meant 10 inches. Sorry. However, we really got hit bad here and got approximately 32 inches here. We are at 4232 feet above sea level and got pounded with the wind and snow. Smart women to pick up a generator. Here in the mountains everybody has a generator. We have a full house generator (as the wife likes her creature comforts) as the power generally goes out in really bad weather. This storm was the worst I have seen as it moved very slowly. It took us two days just to clear the roads of snow and fallen trees. I think I would rather have the snow (used to dealing with it) rather than the water. I hope you made it through ok. Did you have any water damage?

Worst hurricane to hit this area no doubt. Carved out new inlets and made one that was carved out during the 1938 hurricane even bigger. Whole south shore was pretty much decimated and most people lost their power for 10 days or more. I left my house when the water outside in the street was waist high and went to my brothers. My other brother stayed at the house and water got in about knee deep. Never had that happen before. Our breezeway and garage has been flooded out about three or four times but never the house itself. Been clearing out and throwing out garbage since the storm and should have FEMA by soon to inspect for flood damage. Had gas lines here that were hours long and only have eased up about three or four days ago. Their calling it a superstorm and that it was. How are you doing?

We are doing ok. Basically alot of snow and high winds. Trees and some powerlines went down but have been repaired. The trees have been cut up and will be used by some for firewood. Not me I do not burn wood (wife has allergy to wood burning) that is why I have a full house generator. Just as well as cutting up wood to burn is a huge pain. Sounds like the water did some real damage. Maybe you should move to the mountains, or at least some very high ground. You and yours take care.

Yeah, flooding was real bad this time around. Kind of hard to move though may have to be a consideration if storms like this become the norm.

Back