• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question

Keep playing the game. They are out there and as your rank rises you will see them more often. There is one off Martinique that the governor will ask you to get rid of, but only after you become friendly with him, and that can only happen after you steal the French frigate. :wp

I see...I'll check for her, thanks :keith

Assuming you've left BuildSettings.h and InternalSettings.h alone, the type of ships you encounter depend on your level. When you've gained enough experience you will meet more interesting warships, and you should also have the combat skills to take them.

In WW2, merchant ships often carried an old naval gun. Some were fitted with more, heavier guns and became auxiliary cruisers. PoTC went more or less the other way, replacing the heavier guns of the corvette with fewer, lighter guns to make the fast merchantman. It's basically a target.

If you can't find a corvette or frigate, a brig of some sort will do. My usual upgrade path is lugger -> sloop -> xebec or schooner -> brig or 6th rate frigate -> corvette or Aurora class frigate -> flushdeck frigate. Sometimes I get lucky and am able to skip a step, e.g. capturing a brig while sailing a sloop.

Incidentally, you can take Letters of Marque from more than one nation. It helps if they're allies. Sinking a French ship will make England, Portugal and Holland happy and help towards promotions from all three.

Oh well i didn't touch anything in the game settings, i'm really new to modding and things like these so if i don't know what i'm doing i don't do nothing...

About the ships, corvette to me is the bigger ship i could like, i'm in love with the Interceptor, but i agree that i need some more fire power to conquer a town or a fort or macth big warships...I would like to have a ship similar to the Surrise of Master and Commander, but most frigates here have not the same masts disposition of it, so the more similar is a corvette, and it's also more faster, and i like agile vessels :D

Usually me stopped myself to a brig with only the original PotC, but here there is a huge variant of ships for example i like quite much a naval cutter, that could be too weak to match a man'o war....:ship

A corvette isn't going to take a fort. A flushdeck frigate isn't going to take a fort, except possibly one of the smallest ones, and that's the most powerful ship I generally use until I finish the main story. In earlier versions of the game I could take a fort with a frigate, but when I tried that in Build 14, I lost too many of my guns before I could knock enough guns off the fort to keep pace. So I went looking for something bigger, captured it, attacked the fort again and was successful. A 3rd rate battleship or a Centurion, for example, will take down a fort. A man o' war will laugh at a fort, but you probably won't see one of those for quite some time...

Remember that you can berth ships at shipyards, so once you've captured something big enough to take a fort, you can leave it behind and only bring it out next time you want to hit a fort. Or keep it with you, put one of your officers in command of it, keep the corvette for yourself, then swap ships when you want to attack a fort.

A corvette isn't going to take a fort. A flushdeck frigate isn't going to take a fort, except possibly one of the smallest ones, and that's the most powerful ship I generally use until I finish the main story. In earlier versions of the game I could take a fort with a frigate, but when I tried that in Build 14, I lost too many of my guns before I could knock enough guns off the fort to keep pace. So I went looking for something bigger, captured it, attacked the fort again and was successful. A 3rd rate battleship or a Centurion, for example, will take down a fort. A man o' war will laugh at a fort, but you probably won't see one of those for quite some time...

Remember that you can berth ships at shipyards, so once you've captured something big enough to take a fort, you can leave it behind and only bring it out next time you want to hit a fort. Or keep it with you, put one of your officers in command of it, keep the corvette for yourself, then swap ships when you want to attack a fort.

I see...Well in the original game with a frigate i managed to take a fort, but it was a really hard battle, and i had a little fleet with me...(it was in the far 2005)...Where could i find (and capture) a flushdeck frigate? Good idea to berth ships before battles...

Could i ask if is possible to repaint my ship and how? i mean, i had the reve french naval sloop, wanted to repaint to the shipyard (i would to give to my ship the english design as i'm an english officer) buti can't, i had a sloop of war, wanted to repaint it too and i can't, as well as for the Interceptor...there are limitations on some ships that don't allow to fully customize them?
Another question about the clothes: could i sell them to the tailor's shop? It would be great if i could, or even if i could loot them from bodies of people i killed...

Some ships have alternative colour schemes and you can choose a new one in the "repaint" section of the shipyard, at no cost. (I wish I could get my house repainted by the same people. :D) And some ships do not have alternative colour schemes, in which case "repaint" will only show the original version.

Clothes can't be sold, but you can make a fortune selling captured weapons. You can't loot clothes from dead (or unconscious) people, partly because that would involve leaving lots of naked or near-naked people lying around, and partly because it would involve someone drawing up models and textures for those people. :shock Remember how many times you had to hit your enemy to kill him? Now imagine what condition his jacket is in, then imagine what the tailor would say if you handed it to him and asked him for money...

Some ships have alternative colour schemes and you can choose a new one in the "repaint" section of the shipyard, at no cost. (I wish I could get my house repainted by the same people. :D) And some ships do not have alternative colour schemes, in which case "repaint" will only show the original version.

Clothes can't be sold, but you can make a fortune selling captured weapons. You can't loot clothes from dead (or unconscious) people, partly because that would involve leaving lots of naked or near-naked people lying around, and partly because it would involve someone drawing up models and textures for those people. :shock Remember how many times you had to hit your enemy to kill him? Now imagine what condition his jacket is in, then imagine what the tailor would say if you handed it to him and asked him for money...

Thanks for the tips friend, for your home you could always ask to them :D
So some ships are unique design only, and can't be changed...
About the clothes, i think you're right about not being able to looe them form dead enemies, but it could be good for player's economy to sell them other than buy them at the tailor's shop, i'm already making a fortune with the weapons :D
And, talking about weapons, i've found a trick to get a powerful weapon, dunno if you already know it, but i'll tell it for you and for everyone's interested: when you go to the governor of Cayman, do the missed daughter quest, that involves Davy Jones, once you have her on your ship, go to Cayman's port land go to the governor, and instead of go out of the palace facing Davy Jones men, go on your shipdeck, you'll find Davy Jones sitted on your deck, hit him with the sword till he dies and loot his body, you'll get his powerful sword, and i did it twice in the same game, i mean after he died once return to lend, return to your shipdeck and you'll find him again sitted hit him again with your sword and bring again his sword from the body....He doesn't react everytime you hit him so it is an easy way to get that powerful sword, and i didn't have all the fence skills when i get it :)

@ Pieter: Just 2 ideas for the next update: have your team ever considered the chance of placing some shipwreck under the surface in the port waters? I like to see it when i leave the port with my ship, and i think also that the effect would be great, and also realistic, as i experience that storms hit my ship also when i'm in port waters and not only in open sea....The other idea is simply for realism: as i land with a shallop, what about adding a shallop on the deck of the ships that don't have it yet? There are many ships that don't have it, like the sloop of war, the interceptor, the sloop, the cutter...While other vessel, more little than thme like the lugger for example, have one parked on their deck...As the space on the deck of these ships without shallop seems to be, why don't you simply add one shallop on these ships?
Other question about the mod: i'm now senior lieutennant, but in all the 3 lieutennant ranks i always had the same uniform, i thought that being a senoir lieutennant i should have received a uniform, same as the junior lieutennant one but with gold details instead of white....is this normal?

Last edited:
Just to make one thing very clear: At the moment whatever "team" we have consists of a few modders doing whatever they personally feel like.
There is also one main modpack compiler (me) who easily needs 100 hours a day to get everything done.
So as nice as new ideas and feature requests might be, we simply do not have the people nor the time to make it happen.

In fact, there are a whole bunch of things already on my to-do list that I haven't found the opportunity for.
Most notably including all the latest modding work in the Beta 3.3 WIP files! But I haven't the foggiest when I might be able to do something with that.

For ship repaints and uniforms, the answer is the same: There is what there is.
Not all ships have repaint options and not every rank has an officer uniform. Simply because those haven't been made.
And, again, for them to be made, that requires someone to actually do the work. Unfortunately the work doesn't do itself. o_O

Just to make one thing very clear: At the moment whatever "team" we have consists of a few modders doing whatever they personally feel like.
There is also one main modpack compiler (me) who easily needs 100 hours a day to get everything done.
So as nice as new ideas and feature requests might be, we simply do not have the people nor the time to make it happen.

In fact, there are a whole bunch of things already on my to-do list that I haven't found the opportunity for.
Most notably including all the latest modding work in the Beta 3.3 WIP files! But I haven't the foggiest when I might be able to do something with that.

For ship repaints and uniforms, the answer is the same: There is what there is.
Not all ships have repaint options and not every rank has an officer uniform. Simply because those haven't been made.
And, again, for them to be made, that requires someone to actually do the work. Unfortunately the work doesn't do itself. o_O

Sorry Pieter, i didn't mean to offend, I was only asking for the uniform because being the first time i play with this mod, i ask what it seems strange or missing to me in order to know if is normal or maybe if something didn't work on my pc...
As for my ideas, well i simply told them to you in order to be considered, i don't have idea about how big is your team; believe me, if i could have the right knowledge to mod here, i would help you really happily, after all a further pair of hands is always an help and maybe appreciated...

If you want to help, we can point you in the right direction.

As far as the size of the team goes, basically what you see on the forum is what there is.
Only exception are two other members specifically working on storyline and location work.

If you want to help, we can point you in the right direction.

As far as the size of the team goes, basically what you see on the forum is what there is.
Only exception are two other members specifically working on storyline and location work.

It would be nice if i could help you but i really don't know where to start...I downloaded the Inez Diaz Tool, but nothing more...What else do i need specifically to realize for example my ideas in order to could give them to you to be added to the mod? For storyline you mean writing the plot of the storie or writing the dialogue lines to add to the game?

Question about a mission that i'm doing: in Blacque family' quest, once i've helped Rache, where should i start to investigate from the ship Cleopatre, in order to find her brother? when starting the quest i knew that the ship was headed to Port Royal, so i went there but i found nothing that could help me....

Last edited:
It would be nice if i could help you but i really don't know where to start...I downloaded the Inez Diaz Tool, but nothing more...What else do i need specifically to realize for example my ideas in order to could give them to you to be added to the mod? For storyline you mean writing the plot of the storie or writing the dialogue lines to add to the game?
Can you make a list of the things you'd like to do? Then we can see which ones might be easy to start with.

Question about a mission that i'm doing: in Blacque family' quest, once i've helped Rache, where should i start to investigate from the ship Cleopatre, in order to find her brother? when starting the quest i knew that the ship was headed to Port Royal, so i went there but i found nothing that could help me....
Port Royal is the place. Yes

Can you make a list of the things you'd like to do? Then we can see which ones might be easy to start with.

Port Royal is the place. Yes

About the quest, i did it..I found Marc Blacque in the place of the Townhall....Pity that after finished the quest Rachel couldn't become my wife or come with me as my officer...About what i would to do, i would to add the shallops to the ships that actually don't have it on their deck, and maybe chasing and back cannons too...
About storylines, i could think about some plot in order to add some more quests to the main stories...Think that i also thought if it were posible to add to the game the dances with the governor's daughters like in Sid Meier's Pirates!!!

Back