• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Question

*shudder* now it could just be me but dear lord did i hate those dancing scenes in sid miers pirates it was just the same old thing over and over and over , happy for it to get put in trhough if somebody was bothered to so long as it was sompthing optional

*shudder* now it could just be me but dear lord did i hate those dancing scenes in sid miers pirates it was just the same old thing over and over and over , happy for it to get put in trhough if somebody was bothered to so long as it was sompthing optional

Well, it was just to add some spice in romancing with a governor's daughter, after all, at that times, parties at governr's residences were the most funny and important meetings for people that were part of the high society or wanted to becoming part of it...

Yeah i get what you are saying there and i would be happy to see immersive content like that again so long as its optional because like i said looking back at sid miers from a game play perspective , talk to the governer > daughter > invites me to dace > same dance same music, every island just diffrent colours > get reward ~reward rinse and repeat that just was not fun to me i was not involved i knew nobody else there at the dance there was no connection to anybody all you did it for was to advance the storyline it was basically a mini game grind i hated the daughters guts by the end of the game they were just blank card board cut out vending machines.

Just an opinion based on my personal experience that i am putting out there.

Yeah i get what you are saying there and i would be happy to see immersive content like that again so long as its optional because like i said looking back at sid miers from a game play perspective , talk to the governer > daughter > invites me to dace > same dance same music, every island just diffrent colours > get reward ~reward rinse and repeat that just was not fun to me i was not involved i knew nobody else there at the dance there was no connection to anybody all you did it for was to advance the storyline it was basically a mini game grind i hated the daughters guts by the end of the game they were just blank card board cut out vending machines.

Just an opinion based on my personal experience that i am putting out there.

Don't worry i understand what you mean, this, as well as Sid Meier's Pirates, can be compared to Skyrim concrning relationships of course, but i think that something to improve the player's and npcs life still could be done, of course i'm not an expert and i don't know which potentil has the engine to improve this...

But for example i'd like the fact that after dancing with the governor's daughter, you could talk with other npcs, talking about business or rumors, or how's going life in the colony...I'd like to have also duels with guns or sabers to defend a woman's honor, or to take the place of someone else in that colony...I think there could be lots of ideas to ad on this mod, for now i'm happy to play with it installed because it added really a quite huge and new life to this old game that i liked so much....

About storylines, i could think about some plot in order to add some more quests to the main stories...Think that i also thought if it were posible to add to the game the dances with the governor's daughters like in Sid Meier's Pirates!!!
For PotC modding, it is very simple: We do not need ideas, we already have a gazillion. We need people to actually make ideas happen for real.
And people to find bugs. And people to fix bugs. And people to finish unfinished content. We don't really want to add a lot more content, we want to finish what we've got.
Otherwise it becomes one hell of an insane mess with more and more half-finished stuff thrown all on top of each other, with the game becoming buggier as we go along.

If you want to stick to coming up with ideas only, you might want to think about joining the Quest Writing team on Hearts of Oak: that is where we can use ideas.

About the quest, i did it..I found Marc Blacque in the place of the Townhall....Pity that after finished the quest Rachel couldn't become my wife or come with me as my officer...
Recall that Rachel is already committed to looking after her father, so she is unlikely to be interested in leaving Martinique. But I do remember trying to find ways to get Sabine Matton (from the "Help the Boatswain" side quest) and Virginie d'Espivant (from the "Girl Won in a Card Game" side quest) to become officers, without success. (Perhaps if you choose to hold Virginie for ransom rather than help her find her fiance, she could appear in the cargo hold the same as any other prisoner, then you could have the option of asking her to become an officer...)

Correction: Sabine Matton is not from "Help the Boatswain", she's Arnaud Matton's daughter and you get to meet her after you've dealt with Baldewyn Coffier one way or another.

About storylines, i could think about some plot in order to add some more quests to the main stories...
As Pieter says, ideas are easy, getting someone to implement them is hard. Nobody is being paid for any of this work, so anybody who works on something is likely to work on what interests them (and hopefully the rest of us as well, but that's a happy coincidence). Personally, if I ever figure out how to add things to quests, I'll see about extending "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower". Don't hold your breath waiting for me to learn enough to do that any time soon, though...

Think that i also thought if it were posible to add to the game the dances with the governor's daughters like in Sid Meier's Pirates!!!
You can already... er... "interact" with governors' daughters once you've won them over with your charm. ;) The exact nature of the interaction is left to the imagination. It can be dancing if you like. xD

Last edited:
We always need bug-testing. And ideally someone to make a list of them so that whenever a coder has the time, we actually have a to-do list to work from.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/build-mod-bug-tracker.161 is supposed to be used for that purpose, but it doesn't really work well as an overview.

And, as said, we don't just need to KNOW the bugs; we need to get them FIXED. And who is going to do that?!?
Nope, can't do all the work by myself. Not unless somebody can give me 100-hour days. Or maybe 200-hour ones....

Recall that Rachel is already committed to looking after her father, so she is unlikely to be interested in leaving Martinique. But I do remember trying to find ways to get Sabine Matton (from the "Help the Boatswain" side quest) and Virginie d'Espivant (from the "Girl Won in a Card Game" side quest) to become officers, without success. (Perhaps if you choose to hold Virginie for ransom rather than help her find her fiance, she could appear in the cargo hold the same as any other prisoner, then you could have the option of asking her to become an officer...)

As Pieter says, ideas are easy, getting someone to implement them is hard. Nobody is being paid for any of this work, so anybody who works on something is likely to work on what interests them (and hopefully the rest of us as well, but that's a happy coincidence). Personally, if I ever figure out how to add things to quests, I'll see about extending "Chronicles of Horatio Hornblower". Don't hold your breath waiting for me to learn enough to do that any time soon, though...

You can already... er... "interact" with governors' daughters once you've won them over with your charm. ;) The exact nature of the interaction is left to the imagination. It can be dancing if you like. xD

Well about Rachel, i thought that as her father recovered from his madness now she was free to live her life from her own :D
I have to check for the other quests, as i'm following the riginal storyline so i randomly incapped in Rachel and her family :D

Oh well, i thought that you were all volunteers :) But sharing my ideas could me also a way to contribute to your work, for few that is...
I'll chec for your expansion of Hornblower adventures, after all he's one of my favourite historical persons :)

About interacting with the governor daughters, i saw that they appears once i've been promoted senior lieutennant, exception made for the one of the Cayman governor that i had to save from Davy Jones, even if i don't know why didn't apper her but another one at her place, after some times i visited the governor...Ahahah, ok so i'll use my imagination :D

We always need bug-testing. And ideally someone to make a list of them so that whenever a coder has the time, we actually have a to-do list to work from.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/forums/build-mod-bug-tracker.161 is supposed to be used for that purpose, but it doesn't really work well as an overview.

And, as said, we don't just need to KNOW the bugs; we need to get them FIXED. And who is going to do that?!?
Nope, can't do all the work by myself. Not unless somebody can give me 100-hour days. Or maybe 200-hour ones....

Well Pieter, if i find something that i think is not good in the game or in the quests, as i did before i'll ask here...
I understand you about your lack of time, now this week i'm at home because of a bad flu, but yet tomorrow i'l return t work, and as i work in another town, different from the one in which i live, i'll have short time too to do things, but if i could do something, i'll try...

Well, as I said, you're welcome to apply for the Hearts of Oak Quest Writing team. :doff

How can I make a war and turn on all islands the owner of Dutch or any relations? It seems too hard to destroy the fort of Gabernor's Harbour at Elauthera using Master & Commander mission. Maybe I need a company of ships that I need to attack the Elauthera ?

Back