• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Raa frigate

I was just looking into porting this ship finally, but I was not at all impressed with her cooperation. :whipa

The problem is, the hull has the flagpole AND broken part of mast1 attached to it, which spells trouble for the 3rd person camera in-game.
It should have been a simple fix using TOOL, by separating the model into two parts, and adding the second part with a locator.
However, I had trouble separating the components, since the damn thing was corrupted every time I tried to save them.
What's worse is, seeing as separation is an issue, I can't export the ship successfully into Maya, seeing as she has over 50,000 polys.
Even then, what I tried to export ended up as one single component, as opposed to being lots of different components joined together, which is useless to me. :modding

So, to get the ship into PotC without camera issues, she needs to be re-exported in two parts from the original Maya file.
As far as I know, the only one who used that file was Jack Harrison when he converted the ship from PotBS.
I'll ask him about that, but in the meantime this ship is getting nowhere, I'm afraid. :(

We have had it in COAS for awhile now. It's the ship in my video. Can you just port our version?

MK

What I'm trying to port IS your version, but this camera problem will be a royal pain in the arse if we don't sort it out sooner rather than later. :facepalm
I have a feeling it's more visible in PotC than CoAS, but I can't be sure on that. Nevertheless, it can't be ignored.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, we don't have this ship in the PotC Build Mod yet. I found some converted file, courtesy of Noriruru, here:
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Noriruru/Raa%20Frigate%20Conversion%20for%20PotC/
I take it the camera problem mentioned above still isn't fixed then though, is it?

Nope, still not fixed I'm afraid. :facepalm
I might be able to do the same I did to the Surprise: split the model into all the separate components (something like 20 or so) using TOOL, and reassemble them in Maya.
That's very tedious and took me long enough for the Surprise, but hopefully it would work eventually.

Ya I made a rough PotC conversion at the request of another person here on PA. I haven't however tested it myself on B14 but I did have one of B14's ships init files and made a version based on one of the other frigates.

I have however been testing the raa out on the older B13 for a good bit and I don't notice any of the reported camera angle anomalies the camera angle looked like any other ship. Mind you I myself may not see the problem but she looks ok to me.

Considering we still have some ships with this problem, and only some people experience it, maybe it would be best to include this ship in the game anyway.
She can always be fixed at a later date. To what extent was she ported? Rope/fal and flag/penn locators? HEX editing? :hmm

Indeed I think we should include ALL ships models that work without crashing the game. Further fixing can be done later, but it's best to have them over not having them. :yes

Ayup. Just do it and they will get sorted out later. I never noticed the flagpole problem until I got this wide screen monitor. On the old 19" 4:3 they all looked ok.

The RAA frigate should be in my game. I have not seen her yet, but she should be there somewhere. :keith

I got the RAA and fixed the flags/pennants. She is on the FTP in the "after patch 7" folder. Since it is so close to Beta 2 release might it not be better to put her in a ship pack next year?

I don't have the Beta 2 final files ready yet at all; just doing some preliminary work. I can still include new stuff. In fact, I have to add Armada's latest work too at the very least.
And any storyline updates Jack Rackham might have.

I got the RAA and fixed the flags/pennants.
Really? I see rigging, but no ship. xD:

That's a really bad camera issue for sure, just as I expected. We'll need to try to fix it at some point soon after Beta 2.

Hylie, can you make a screenshot so Armada can put her in the Ship Screenshots file? I don't have her installed yet because I've been busy with Beta 2. Otherwise I should be able to make a screenshot tomorrow.

I did mention the Raa Frigate together with La Dilligent in the same post... :wp

What colour scheme does she have? Anything nation-specific or not?
Edit: Black-and-yellow, so she'll be British.

I included La Dilligente in my latest files, but this one didn't have a screenie to work from at the time, anyway. :razz

Does anyone have any historical details on the Raa frigate for the ship description?

Cheers. How's this?
Code:
RN_RaaFrigate_Descr{Based on the Danish Fifth Rate frigate
'Raae' (1709). Hull bears British Royal Navy colours.}

Back