• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Real Time Battle Light Version 1.6

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Hi everyone, i haven't worked on COAS in a very long time and since RTBL is out dated i figured i would bring it up to date. It won't have all the neat features GOF has to offer but it will have some, RTBL is more about the naval side of things rather than the general game play which is why it won't have all those features GOF has to offer.

What you will find in this updated version of RTBL is all the ships from GOF and any new ones released (will also be released for GOF in a patch or extended add on if you like). All the calibure cannon and culverines from GOF, RTBL (obviously) and all the other realistic settings (mod option as in GOF is the same, so you can easily switch on and off what you do/don't want active). Changes to realistic pricing for all goods, the important ones for ship supplies have been increased while all the normal trade able stuff has been lowered to increase game difficulty and make trading more realistic.

All characters from GOF have also been included, so you don't have to just play with the default characters now. A lot of other things have either been added or edited in some way or other, so to make things easier here is a list of all current changes (please note some features was already in RTBL V1.5).

* New calibures for cannon and culverines, some was locked in the default coding which was weird.
* Improved weather, which allows you to sail around and not look overboard at smaller waves than the default huge waves that would leave you questioning how a wave that is as high as your ship is normal.
* RTBL settings that effect how much damage cannon and culverines dish out and how strong the ships hull is at with standing long drawn out battles.
* Realistic weights, this will force you into deciding whats more important the calibure of gun you have mounted or the extra space you gain by mounting a smaller calibure.
* Realistic costs, this will make things tougher at the start because money is harder to come by and expensses are alway's a nightmare to cover.
* Realistic ship purchase, this removes all man of war ships and other large ships from the shipyard because in truth they would have been specially built for the country and not your average trader/privateer.
* Realistic reloading, this is to give you a more realistic feel to naval battles. The guns will load but depending on some factors they will take longer these factors are. Your skill, the skills of your crew and gunnery officer and the calibure mounted aswell as the type of calibure ie cannon or culverine which
* Culverine changes to make them more realistic, gives them a edge over the cannons but at a cost of actual space used and the price they cost, but without making cannons useless.
* Realistic ship enccounters, this makes it more likely that you will not meet large ships to early in your career. But it doesn't mean that you will never see them. Just reduces the likely hood of meeting any to soon.
* Realistic weather, this changes the wind speed so that its more realistic. However its not for the faint hearted as it can make battles very slow due to no wind or very low wind speeds. This is best left off in less you really want to have a feel for what it was like out at sea in the age of sail.
* Fixed for the Edward Lowe quest where a select few ships are able to be used. Now with all the new ships added the quest allows for other ships to be used aswell as the stock ships.
* Trade able goods at each port changed so that it takes advantage of the new goods found in the game.
* New look to the card when playing a card game in the tavern.
* New compass texture added, a improvement on the default compass.
* Direct sail, sail from one island to another without ever having to go into world map. Only down side is you can't run into any other ships in less your on the world map.
* JsCombinedMods added, this fixes many bugs and was never included in the previous RTBL mods but was already compatable. I have included it to reduce confusion and make life easier for everyone.
* New crosshair, i don't like the default crosshair so here is the one from GOF.
* Weather textures, after playing GOF for so long its hard to go back to the old textures which look ugly so replacing them does the game alot of good.
* Mercghants on map.text changed to allow for more goods (from 12 to 20). Not sure what this does yet but its going to be interesting findout out.
* Sailors walking around on deck, well its boring when in 3rd person and not seeing a single person walking the deck.
* Mod options screen added in options, now you can switch the mods on and off as you please.
* Reinit function added in the mod options screen.
* Goods prices lowered for realistic costs, this is to make the game more fun and trade more realistic.
* Important goods like food, weapons, shot types have had there prices increased for realistic prices, this is to increase game difficulty and overall cost of running a ship or fleet.
* Crew sizes in boarding actions doubled (requires testing).
* Modification to whats rats can eat or damage.
* New moon texture added from POTC build mod.
* Further modifications made to realistic pricing of some goods, these changes are increases to what is important for supply of ships. Planks, sail cloth, food, rum, shot types, powder and medicin have all had there prices increased.
* Ship turn rates lowered to make naval battles more realistic.
* Stock MOW guns reduced to 45 on either side as it was 46 giving the ship a total of 104 guns when it should be 102.
With that out of the way i will post some imagies when i get chance, and yes to those who didn't like the sea been so calm in GOF will be happy to know that this has been changed and now you will see more waves and the ship moving around much more.

Best wishes
Luke.

Congratulations, mate!

One thing that does seem to be too bad is that there are appearing more and more mutually exclusive mods for CoAS.
I do wonder why that is. For PotC, we've always manage to cram everything together with only music packs being additional.

Thanks Pieter.:onya

I could easily apply all changes to GOF and release it all for GOF, but the problem is GOF is unstable and we need a coder or two to go through the files and see they can fix some of the issues like boarding problems and crashes in naval battles I tried the sea.DLL from POTC and it doesn't work in COAS, however the moon.tga is a must have because the stock moon is huge, now it looks more realistic. I will get some screenshots of the new weather and i will release the changes for GOF in the next patch which will be released in a week or two.

Did you get the moon.tga from the latest PotC Build Mod? It has been updated to look much better than before.

Do you remember what was the latest GoF modpack version that WAS stable? If so, is that still available anywhere?

If this is the correct or then i installed B14.1 and patch 14.2 light, it was from there i got the moon.tga.

Sadly i think the most stable is CMV3.2, i have updated GOF with all the latest things and have uploaded the patch (only available to the mod team at the moment) but i'm hopping that as i play and test GOF the fixes been made work in fixing the stablility issues or that they have been fixed already. In the past the problems i had was boarding ships when playing as the English. But the weird thing is after i went to the nearest port after running from the battle (without been attcked by anyone else or attacking anyone else) i was given the boarding screen for the ship i had tried to board earlier and i had gone to the world map and sailed to the nearest port. So some how the boarding had been delayed and needed the game to load a new screen before been able to read the ship boarding.

The stability issues are with ships masts been destroyed, MK said he hasn't had a single crash in his game using the era mod. That is the only stability problem, we could disable the ships causing issues till a later date or remove them indefently after all we do have over 150 ships in the game now, so its not like we need to worry about not having enough ships.

For RTBL i was actually thinking of halving the amount of ships so that we have the best of the ships, i think you did this already for POTC a while back. I think its something that is needed for GOF aswell because over 150 ships is a lot of ships, then we could offer the ships we have removed as an optional addon for those who want to have all the ships they can have. Its also reduced the likely hood of ship issues because its easier to test all the ships and fix or replace any with issues.

Yep, that would be the correct moon.tga; just wanted to make sure. :yes

Indeed we DID remove a whole bunch of ships we considered sub-standard from the PotC Build Mod.

It seems progress is fairly slow on the PotC Build Mod front these days.
Perhaps when I get back home, I can focus some serious time and efforts in doing some WinMerging on the various modpacks there are.
For example, I want to see what we can do with the German Edition modpack files. As per your post, I will probably start off with CMV3.2.

That would be awesome to finally implement some of the German mod pack features, how long are you away? because i am still testing GOF 1.3 out and so far i haven't had any issues. However that doesn't mean there won't be some at some point as its already obvious in the forums that there are issues with GOF 1.2. But CMV3.2 was the most stable of them all, a shame that so little is happening now for either POTC or COAS. COAS was alway's limited due to the lack of coders as we alway's pointed them towards POTC in the hope to finish the build mod so that everyone who was available would be able to focus on COAS and start porting the features over.

We had some coders help out with GOF and we are very greatfull for that, however all good things must come to a end at some point and that seems to be whats happened (at least for the time been) with both POTC and COAS.

Looking at the ships there are at least 10 ships i have seen so far that could easily be removed and put in as an addon ship pack should anyone want them, however i would rather not have any kind of addon ship pack because its another means to possible problems at some point and not all the mod team would be testing the ship addon pack out as they would be more focused on working on the curren build version. It could also lead to problems with those who are using the ship addon pack to upload a s file or files that have code relating to those ships from the ship pack which could cause problems if not detected as all work is been combined.

As i say though so far i haven't ran into any problems, the game crashed on me but that has been after some 4 hours of solid gameplay and it wasn't due to a ship been demasted or anything. Which is when the game is most likely to crash (dependent on the ship thats been demasted), i will test some more tomorrow night as i don't have anything coming up till Tuesday night. So i'm free to test till then, i am at rank 6 or 7 now so its very early day's and i think the ship issues start with the larger class 3 ships, so i have some way to go before i see them in battles.

For the record i do have every mod switch active, this includes the surrender feature which has been reported as been problematic, so far no problems with that and i have had 2 ships offer me money to leave them alone whcih in both situations i refussed to see how the game would be after i refussed. Because there is only me working on GOF 1.3 at the moment i might release the patch as beta testing in the hope to generate some more interest into GOF and perhaps bring some modders and maybe coders into the mix.

I'll probably be properly available again some time... end October/begin November?
I'll be having a two-week holiday in Florida first though, so I'll probably end up just having about a month to work on much of anything.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, we never got many coders heading toward PotC either. :facepalm

Thats cool, the main thing is we can get something started, i'm trying to geta stable base to work from. I don't care if thats from vanilla COAS or from one of the CM packs as long as its stable.

I don't know how many we spoke with, but there was over 3 coders that we pointed towards POTC. A shame that modding for these games has come to a end, i can understand that RL plays a huge part in everyones avilability and with many people now sufferent finacial issues they might have had to give the internet up to allow for more money to be used on more important things. Hopefully though some coders and modders read these posts and (if time allows them) find interest in what we want to do and join the team.

Nice work Luke. Your speed always amazes me. I was hoping you'd found some new ships. I had already ported those into the Era's mod. Looking forward to the Centurion.

Thanks MK, i get 3 to 4 hours of free time after the kids have gone to bed that i use to full effect (will be a few more hours when the kids go back to school). I have looked at the ships but its only been a flick through to be honest. There cold be one or two that wasn't added. I need to get a stable version to work from though before i can look into new ships, and if all goes bad then i might have managed to get the mast hack up to date with GOF 1.2. If i have then that can be released in a updated version of the beta patch with notes on how to activate/de-actives the hack.

Good to hear from you again bud.:onya

Work on this has been posponed whilest i'm working on CMV3.2 or GOF 1.2 (depending on which proves to be the more stable version).

Hi bud.

RTBL is included in many files and can mostly be found in files like cannons.init, ships_init.c, but there are other files that also use the switch which effects the way RTBL has been coded. But thosde two files above are the main files, hope this helps.:onya

Back