• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

REAL TIME BATTLE

ive got a suggestion, why not make a standard reload time for all cannons? even the ship has 90 cannons, it will be joy :D , oh and yeah how many ships should i have to take down a fort?

its weird ive never encountered an enemy that surrendered?why is that? :shrug

You can take out a fort with 1 MOW and some good tactics but i would suggest taking at least 3 MOW's with maximum calibure mounted. If not MOW's then 3 class 1 ships.

Cannons having a standard reload time would be unrealistic, the bigger the calibure the longer it would have taken to reload. Imagine having 1 12Ibs cannon, reloading pulling it back into firing position and firing it it. Then dowing the same with a 22Ibs cannon, and while you was doing this you was been timed. Cannons took less time to reload than culverines because they was smaller, to remain releasic it would be best to keep with the way we have it now, we can reduce reload times between calibures that would be fine by me. But we can't have all calibures or even any calibures share the same reload times.

The debate of cannon loading times has been going on for quite a while. I think the only way that it can be truly settled is if a formula was develop based on actual loading time of a real cannon, and then apply it to our ships.

For instance, if I could find a video of professionals loading a cannon. Then take into consideration the weight of the shot, divide that by the amount of time it took them to do it, we may have the basis of the time it take to load 1 of any cannon. by rights, if we have a full crew, then it should take the same amount of time to load the one cannon as it does the entire arsenal.

However where things get sticky is what if you do not have full crew. Lets say your max crew is 100 and you have 80, then the loading time would be increased by 20%?

We would very quickly see loading times get reduced for a professional bunch of cannoneers, but also should go up drastically for a bunch of rookies...

Interesting idea FB, i don't know how that would pan out but putting in place would be interesting and i think we would have more people complaining because the reload times would be even higher. But as you said for those who have a good officer in the gunnery role and a max crew who are perfect at loading those guns and your character has most or all of the cannon perks the times could be lowered quiet a lot.

I would say it would take about 20 seconds to load a 4Ibs cannon and about 25 to 30 seconds to load a 4Ibs culverine.

http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip/2632377641_023.do

Unfortunatly there is no description, but it takes the sailor 10 seconds to load this cannon. It looks to be a very light load, and the cannon looks small as well, judging how it was just sorta swung back into place after loading. I think we could call this our 4 pounder.

So, just judging by this clip. It would take 13 seconds for a professional cannonneer to load a 4 pound cannon. I've added 3 seconds to account for moving the cannon into position to be loaded. That equals 3.25 seconds per pound, which means that a 36 pound cannon would take 117 seconds. This takes into account the amount of extra time needed to push the load (gunpowder) to the end of the barrel on a bigger weapon.

Upon further examination of this clip, I don't think it would take that much extra time to load a culverine Just that extra time to shove the load to the end of the barrel.

I figure with the proper evidence, and the proper formula we can have these settings dialed in just perfect. If players don't like the settings, then at least we can show them the proof and the formula used for the loading times.

Thats interesting, almost 2 minutes to load a 36Ibs cannon is a long time, but as you said its more realistic and thats what we are trying to achive in COAS.

Ok i have looked at the cannon reload times and each value is 3 seconds, so 1 = 3 seconds, 2 = 6 seconds etc.

I have got it to be 3 seconds between each calaibure. 4Ibs cannons load at 12 seconds, 6Ibs is 15 seconds etc.

I think for culverines the gap between the cannon v culverine reload times should be 3 seconds. So in short 4Ibs culverines will take 15 seconds compared to the 4Ibs cannons.

Oh wait, i have got the 4Ibs cannons to 13 seconds by adding a .5 on to the reload time, from 4 to 4.5.

That is quite a long time. I wish I could find a video of a heavier cannon being loaded, however, I have yet to find one that loads the shot. Aside from the above clip, they are all loading and firing the charge.

Before the abvoe formula is set, I would like to find more examples of cannons being loaded, but they have to include the shot as well.

Well i have changed the reload times to 4 seconds between each calibure with culverines been 4 seconds longer than there equvilant counter part cannon. So it stands as this now.

Cannons
4Ibs = 13
6Ibs = 17
8Ibs = 21
10Ibs = 25
12Ibs = 29
14Ibs = 33
16Ibs = 37
18Ibs = 41
20Ibs = 45
22Ibs = 49
24Ibs = 53
26Ibs = 57
32Ibs = 61
34Ibs = 65
36Ibs = 69
42Ibs = 73
48Ibs = 77
92Ibs = 81

Culverines
4Ibs = 17
6Ibs = 21
8Ibs = 25
10Ibs = 29
12Ibs = 33
14Ibs = 37
16Ibs = 41
18Ibs = 45
20Ibs = 49
22Ibs = 53
24Ibs = 57
26Ibs = 61
32Ibs = 65

that looks pretty good. Are these the fastest possible values, with them getting longer with inexpierenced crew?

I have yet to test that part out, thats basically the loading times you see at the shipyard. I believe there is some code that effects inexperienced crew and experienced crew, that is something that needs finding so it can be fully fixed.

anyone, why is that im still under fire by spain even i chose to play under that flag???O_O

If you enter a battle with a Spnish ship and some enemy of Spain's or pirates and you hit the Spanish ship they will attack you. If you haven't done any of this and you enter a Spanish port only to be under fire by the fort then check what flag your flying. It could be your flying the wrong flag.

about this cannons, mostly some of the player want faster reloads because they just want to fire it badly, and it is frustrating because you just have to reload all cannons before you can fire, so is that realistic? i mean maybe the cannon reload is still slow for me - even it is on the real time reload - because this simultaneous firing

We can alway's make a switch, so those who want the realistic reload times can while those who do not can simply turn off realistic reload in the _Mods_On_Off file, which you will also see in the next patch that you can switch between realistic ship perchase (only small ships will be available to purchase) realistic spyglass (removes all the stats so you can't see any info the enemy ships) and RTBL (more realistic battles which means they last longer or the old vanilla way of quick and easy)

Whilest on the subject of the cannons, you will be pleased to know that 4Ibs cannons will now have almost double there orginal range and culverines which use to only have a 50 yard difference from the same calibure cannon now has 100 yards distance. All this in the next patch.

Good work Luke! I won't feel so defenceless with a new ship.

If memory serves, i think the first AOP allowed players to fire cannons before they were all loaded.

hmmm...well it must have been some other pirate game that allowed players to fire cannons before they were all loaded...

Maybe Sea Dog's not sure. Anyway i'm going to hopefully implement the switch today so you can use either realistic cannon reloading or quick reloading.

Update:
Switch added, will test this out later to m,ake sure it all works as intended.

Update 2:
Tested and the switch for the realistic reload times work, the stock value's have been lowered to be more of a fictional reloading times with 1 second gap between each calibure. Some small tweaks are needed to get everything in place but it all works as intended.

How about adding a little option on the sail ho screen, that lets you choose what type of ammo you want to go into battle with.

Well thats something i don't know how to do. It would require scripting, but back in those day's ships didn't keep there guns loaded, pirates did as evidance has proven but trade and military ship as a rule never kept there guns loaded. We do have our guns loaded with what ever shot type we has selected before going to the world map. As a rule i alway's set which shot type i will most likely use before leaving port, and most of the time its round shot in less i'm in the frame of mind of aviod fighting and just get the hell out of there. Then i'll load the chain shots and hope if i find myself been chased by a quicker ship i can damage there sails and escape.

Update for this is now all shot types have stock value's, RTBL which is activated via a toggle switch has lower value's for each shot type but thats still been tested so that the battles take longer but not too long. This should be finished by this weekend (i hope). All cannon reload times have been tested with the realistic reload times active and then with faster reload times active and both work as intended.

Back