• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic Cannon Fix mod

makes me feel safer when i run to the cabin in the heat of the battle xD:

@Nix & MK: There is a download link for the editable PSD file in my ftp folder

Thanks Superchango.

BTW fellas, I am really enjoying the gunrunning aspect in the new mods. I love that I'm capturing large ships with 4 and 8 pounders as part of the cargo. Have made some tidy profits. :keith

Wouldn't it be cool to make a questline mod for gunrunning. Maybe make it an additional governors quest. France relying totally on gun imports or England having a shortage might require capturing a convoy of large Dutch or Spanish ships carrying guns inbound from Amsterdam or Seville - destined for forts and/or for sales to captains out of Curacao or Portobello.

This seems like a good first attempt for us to integrate a quest mod into the game as it seems like it would not require a lot of heavy lifting - no new characters, etc. I think I've learned enough now that I'm going to attempt this. Appreciate some help.

MK

If i can help you out MK i will, its a quest that would help make the game more realistic in the aspect that allies would have helped be it with goods or weapons. What would be nice is like you said scripting which towns can stock large amounts of cannons, say large shipyards can produce cannons and the smaller shipyards reliy on deliveries of them? Medium shipyards could produce only the small calibure cannons while the large produce all sized calibures. Then if the quest could be scripted into a random quest for either the shipyard owner or the governer that would be really good.

Just camed to my mind... Luke, since you'v done the real battle mod... how about sieges ? and forts overall hp, honestly, if i'm not wrong there where rather long sieges before storming a fort... MK !! add a little will'ya ?! :rolleyes:

Just camed to my mind... Luke, since you'v done the real battle mod... how about sieges ? and forts overall hp, honestly, if i'm not wrong there where rather long sieges before storming a fort... MK !! add a little will'ya ?! :rolleyes:

The sieges will take much much longer now, but that can be reduced by lowering the forts hp value's so that it takes as close to possible the amount of time it would in the Vanilla version. Some forts should use the 92 pounders which would drastically improve the amount of damage you will recieve compared to the 48 pounders which you will see mostly. Come to think of it i'm yet to see a fort with 92 pounders. :shrug

Actually, i did'nt make it clear, i was hoping you could extend sieges... and i tought about months... ingame months anyway

OK, putting on my Mr. Woopee suit for those that remember the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show. You ask Superchango, and I shall spout out facts and opinions. LOL :cheeky

My opinion is that the seiges should be really difficult in most cases. Backwater colonies with poorly guarded forts and good intelligence could mean easy pickings, but not occupation. I guess we should talk about this from two views. The pirate view and the colonial competing factional government view. From a pirate viewpoint historically there are very few historical examples of seiges. Morgan had several successes against good sized Spanish forts/ports culminating in the famous sack of Cartegena. However, despite all the hype and popular media, Morgan really wasn't a pirate, but a very powerful well supplied and connected privateer. He had ships of proper size to conduct those type of operations.

Most pirates did not have vessels or crews sufficient to those tasks and were small timers. There are of course exceptions. Certainly Bartholomew Robert's ships the Great Ranger and Royal Fortune are described as good sized war ships. He would never risk those great ships against fortifications unless the reward were worth it. Roberts liked to raid convoys. Piracy was about profit, not seiges or taking real estate.

It's funny because the resurgence of piracy in the late 17th centurey was caused largely by government, when the two great naval competetors (England and Holland) were no longer at war and England's fleet was largely laid up putting tens of thousands of English seamen out of work. Ironically a Dutch King (William I) Prince Stadholder of Holland sat on the throne of England. What do you suppose all those out of work seamen decided to do? They were already pissed because many of them hadn't been paid for their service. In the Carribean, outposts like Bermuda that had had very loose government oversite to begin with, totally broke away and became rich pirate havens. I love how the shipright in Bermuda can do anything in COAS. Indeed that is very historically accurate. I have many anecdotal accounts of Bermuda being a great wrecking yard of abandoned ships at that time and the wrecks being constantly used to refit other ships for raiding, etc.

So eliminating the pirates motivations, Governments are another story. Indeed one of the reasons the large line of battle war ships were developed in the first place, was to defend far flung interests and often act as a kind of fortress themselves. India is a great example of this. With a couple of exceptions, the British were not allowed to fortify their trading stations in India. So, they built them in strategic places on deep rivers where large Men O War could park themselves around the trading posts and act as fortifications. The Carribean would have seen its fair share of large King's ships to defend the Kings interests there as well. It was only when you had ships of this size that you could actually take on a fortress. Being of Army background I must remind the reader that bombs never seize anything. When a seige did occur, it was planned and there was a significant reason behind taking that object of the nation's desires. The large ships that would take part in these actions were there to create breaches in walls, suppress enemy fire, and screen the flotillas of large rowboats full of thousands of soldiers/marines storming the beaches, assaulting the fortress, exploiting the breaches, and finally capturing the objective. There are many historical examples of these actions. But the one that stands out the best for me is the British action against Morro Castle defending Havana in 1762.

Thus endeth the history lesson. :mm This is a game fellas, and a damn fun one. I love taking the Forts. We should just make certain it isn't an easy thing to do. And when we do we should mod the game to ensure that a large force will be on their way to reclaim it inside of a month or two.

MK

Well corretly it should take much more time to capture the forts, more men can be stationed within the forts to make land battles longer too meaning you would need far more troops than before. The fort battles is one side that i never did test but iot does need testing, i'm only going by how long it takes to sink a ship now, depending on the two ships yours and there's it can take a while. So with the cannons now doing less damage you should take a long time to damage creal most of the cannons, the 48 and 92 pounder cannons can take quite alot of damage. I will test the forts tonight and see, if things are too easy i will up the forts hp and the 48/92 pounder cannon hp's so that they are not so easily taken out. And since you will land with far more troops now i will increase the amount of troops in the fort if its still too easy. :onya

Great history leason MK, i have a dvd that goes into some lengths to tell the stories of some pirates, its called the real pirates of the caribbean and both Morgan and Bartholomew Robert's are in it as is obviously Black Beard and a few other's. ;)

While i was searching for way's to increase the forts fire range, i came across this line of code. I've only seen the mortar's in two files, the cannon_init and this file that shows that mortars was originally going to be used as fort guns and 48Ibs was going to be the max a ship could upgrade too.

Code:
}

/*rCharacter.Fort.Cannons.Type.1 = -1;
rCharacter.Fort.Cannons.Type.2 = -1;
rCharacter.Fort.Cannons.Type.3 = CANNON_TYPE_MORTAR; */
rCharacter.Ship.Cannons.Charge.Type = GOOD_BOMBS;  // âñåãäà áîìáû   boal
}

void Fort_LoadDamagedCannon()

This line of code can be found in AIFort located in Age of Pirates 2\Program\SEA_AI. :onya

Always a pleasure reading your posts MK...

Luke, iv'e started a new game, so... no chance to try a siege for a long time from now...

Always a pleasure reading your posts MK...

Luke, iv'e started a new game, so... no chance to try a siege for a long time from now...

Thats ok bud, i've noticed a problem that the fort and will work to fix this so when the update is released this part of RTBL is also ready, when you are under attack from the fort it can be deverstating as i found out, when the fixes have been made how deverstating it really is will be found out but right now its deffinatly harder than in vanilla.

Ahoy!

I'm trying to put these mods in my vanilla game and I'm sure everything is placed correctly. Unfortunately when lunching the game I'm getting runtime error - start.exe... Tried with both mods - nixarass and Luke159 (with some changes because its designed for using with another mods). Any idea why is that happening? I've noticed that when I'm replacing modified ShipsUtilites.c with original one or change first part of iCaliber values up to maximum value of 4 game lunches properly. Thanks in advance.

Well sounds like your not moving the edited parts over or your missing a file out. Your best bet will be to download a program called winmerg and use that, its far easier than trying to do it all manually.

Which file did you downloadd of mine?

Well sounds like your not moving the edited parts over or your missing a file out. Your best bet will be to download a program called winmerg and use that, its far easier than trying to do it all manually.

Hello!

Five days, no internet :/ Anyway I've managed to lunch the game but now all goods from shops and shipyards are missing (tried both saved and new game). Also when buying a ship, there is no cannon/culverin discernment (hope its a right word) only caliber and what is more when clicking it guess what happens... ERROR and game crashes to desktop... :modding

Now I'll be off home for about a week but when I'm back I'll try to fix this :dance

Which file did you downloadd of mine?

RTBL Cannon Mod Version 1.2

are you just trying to add the cannon's for the vanilla game?

Update 1:
It should have dawned on me, you say RTBL cannon mod 1.2. Well there will be some lines in some files that will conflict with your game because the mod is part of a bigger mod called RTBL. If you want i will make the changes so they will work with the vanilla game for you.

Update 2:
Ok i have just finished the vanilla cannon mod which you can download from HERE

This should work fine, i have included the backup files for you just in case of a problem, if you have made changes already to any of these files overwrite the backups with your own files before installing the file or files for the cannons, then add what you have changed to those files.

One last thing apart from it will require a new game, have fun. :onya

are you just trying to add the cannon's for the vanilla game?

Update 1:
It should have dawned on me, you say RTBL cannon mod 1.2. Well there will be some lines in some files that will conflict with your game because the mod is part of a bigger mod called RTBL. If you want i will make the changes so they will work with the vanilla game for you.

Update 2:
Ok i have just finished the vanilla cannon mod which you can download from HERE

This should work fine, i have included the backup files for you just in case of a problem, if you have made changes already to any of these files overwrite the backups with your own files before installing the file or files for the cannons, then add what you have changed to those files.

One last thing apart from it will require a new game, have fun. :onya

Just got back from my voyage and such a pleasant news waiting for me. Unfortunately something is still wrong and game crashes on start. I will not give up trying. Thanks a lot :gday

Back