• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic Cannon Fix mod

Strange, i will check it over. Have you edited any files yourself?

If you mean editing the ones you have provided, then yes but only cannons_init.c (cost, range, etc.). I've also tried running game without making any changes and there was no difference - crash on start.

Hi guys,
A while ago I ran across the massive combined mod for COAS, but for a number of reasons decided it was not the mod for me. However, I was still interested in slightly modding COAS to my liking, and certain mods were really calling out to me, like the jscombined 1.9 mod. Honestly speaking, my interest in modding COAS began when I noticed that sailors were no longer visible on deck in first person (unlike in CT). To cut to the chase and to make this relevant to the topic, I added a few mods with JSGME (including COAS_ships) and did my best to avoid conflicts, and everything was working ok... until I tried to install the realistic cannons mod... I only found 1.5, but since it's the most recent I wasn't particularly interested in trying the older ones. Anyways, reading over this topic a few times, and messing around in the cannon and store folders as well as in shiputils, eventually allowed me to fix the missing pictures, names, etc... basically everything that you guys already figured out. Finally I wanted to actually PLAY the game, so I started playing, but got stopped right away with another glitch :modding involving the cannon placement interface. Basically the 12 pound cannons weren't showing as cannons in the hold when I removed them... so I went to the shipyard and bought 8 pounders, and they showed in the hold correctly... and it was here that I realized that I couldn't actually put 8s in certain spots and 12s in others. After I "fixed" the glitch (by just starting yet another new game), I went back to see if I could choose where to put the 8s and 12s again, but of course the result was the same. So now after this unnecessary intro, I finally present my question:

Is there a mod that allows you to pack your ship with different sorts of cannons? Let's say I want standard 12 pound cannons lining the sides, but culverins for the bow and stern chasers - is there any way to do this? Thanks guys, any help is appreciated. I tried hard to avoid saying anything and work things out on my own... but now this is beyond what I am capable of doing myself.

Hey bud, shame CMV3.1.5 isn't for you but maybe one day you will be tempted to try it out, its good to hear you've been having a little play in the files and adding some mods you like. The realistic cannon mod edits many files and to make life easier to add more i would strongly recomend getting winmerge as that will drastically improve the time it takes to move things from one file to another without missing any important changes out from the mod(s).

Now to your question, we of course would all love to be able to mount different calibure guns. Sadly this is not possible and i don't believe its possible to make the changes in the files since i think all the ships models would require changes done to them (not sure there). I think this is only possible through the source code which only selected members can access. Maybe the source code modders will one day be able to make it so you can mount different calibure guns i'm not sure if it will add anything other than realism to the game since more people would mount as many of the largest calibures they could and that would be that. The only way of making that feature worth it would be to make stern and bow guns mount 2 calibures above that of the said max calibure and make it so top deck the calibure must be 2 calibures smaller. That i do believe would require work on all ship models aswell though. So a lot of work as you could imagine and for many it would take too much of there valuable time up and would means ships models from POTC and COAS would be different, so porting a new model from POTC wouldn't work in COAS because it would require the model to be updated to allow for different calibure guns to be mounted in different parts of the ship.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply,
I suppose it's not a huge issue if I can't mount different cannons, after all, I couldn't before anyways. So thanks for the assistance, and I think I'll be off to the Caribbean now!

Back