• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build Realistic Game Mode: Modify NPC Tacking Behaviour at Sea

Sounds about right to me then.
So I imagine it is OK in this current state? If so, I'll gladly keep it like this and leave any further tweaks to some later time.

Are you referring to that Martinique sidequest ship?
I already increased the reward for that at Jason's request.
Plus you now get a nice and almost unique sword too hopefully still make it worthwhile despite the difficulty.
If it is still not enough, it is easy enough to increase further.

Yes it is fine as is.

That Kreyser class frigate is a bit much for 3 Postillionens, I found out. At least one larger ship would have been a big help as their hulls are just not strong enough.

Sometimes an NPC ship will sail round in tight circles. Mostly I've been seeing it with the CastelF which you board and capture during the "Ardent" storyline - see attached savegame, in which your ship still has a false Spanish flag up so neither the enemy ship or nearby fort will attack you yet. But that's because pretty much all my gameplay time these days is testing said storyline so that's the only NPC ship in which I take much of an interest. Occasionally I branch off to do a bit of free-lance pirating and have seen similar behaviour in other NPC ships.

Attachments

• -=Player2=- Open Sea August 22nd, 1691.zip
    683.4 KB · Views: 170
The most recent official update is the 18th February zip update. Either your new "AIShip.c" isn't in there or it didn't work because I have that zip installed.

The most recent official update is the 18th February zip update. Either your new "AIShip.c" isn't in there or it didn't work because I have that zip installed.
That's what I'm saying: It probably isn't in there; can't remember for sure. But it IS in that 7-Zip Archive I linked to.

I have to make another proper update again soon. Haven't gotten round to doing that yet.

That's what I'm saying: It probably isn't in there; can't remember for sure.
I was just confirming that it definitely isn't in there. ;)

I'll need to try out the 7-zip archive and see if that makes any difference next time I get to the payroll ship bit, or do any freelance pirating on the way to the next bit...

There was a time when NPC ships would just sail in circles when we first started working on the tacking. They work pretty well now with the last update.

To confirm, indeed the last update is NOT available from my latest "official ZIP".
I'll make a new update soon with it included. In the meantime, it is in that 7-Zip archive I posted on Saturday.

I've still to check. Recent work on "Ardent" has been on the next stage in the hope of getting an update posted some time soon. And then I've been a bit distracted by work on trade relations and reputation boosts from walkers. ;)

I've still to check. Recent work on "Ardent" has been on the next stage in the hope of getting an update posted some time soon. And then I've been a bit distracted by work on trade relations and reputation boosts from walkers. ;)
Fair enough. I'll remain in anticipation then. :doff

I finally got to try this. The payroll ship in "Ardent" still tries to go round in circles, possibly because it's in a little bay (at Playa de Sierra Maestra), but doesn't turn insanely tightly as it used to. A random group out on the open sea behaved themselves properly and zigzagged. So the update appears to work. :onya

The payroll ship in "Ardent" still tries to go round in circles, possibly because it's in a little bay (at Playa de Sierra Maestra), but doesn't turn insanely tightly as it used to.
Indeed I could imagine that NPC ships stuck in a tight spot could get into trouble.
At the moment what can happen is that a ship tacks, then turns right back into the wind and tacks again.

I finally got to try this. [...] A random group out on the open sea behaved themselves properly and zigzagged. So the update appears to work. :onya
Thanks for confirming! I know it isn't 100% perfect yet, but that is extremely hard to accomplish.
I'll consider this "fixed" for now then. :cheers

Extract attached to PROGRAM\SEA_AI to get rid of the now-superfluous on-screen log messages that I had left enabled by accident for this. :oops:

Attachments

• AIShip.zip
    55.3 KB · Views: 171
Back