• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic sea fights

Comisar

Landlubber
I like sea fight just like any guy here but when an idiot comes padeling on a canoe rushing to attack you on a full upgraded MOW is just down right annoying...
What idiot would attack a warship in a bathtub in real life?
Is not just a waste of time (like when you rush to complete a mission) but a waste of ammo to (you get so annoyed and you try to kill it but she is faster and gets away sometimes).

ME

Small ships rule - OK :rofl

I like sneaking up behind a big slow MOW - putting a broadside through the captain's cabin windows - then boarding. :yes

Yes, - I usually loose half my crew in the boarding fight but :shrug

Small ships are fast, manoeuverable, and can go through shallow waters - load them with as much crew & the heaviest guns they can carry & you can take on anything.

:cheers

ME

Small ships rule - OK :rofl

I like sneaking up behind a big slow MOW - putting a broadside through the captain's cabin windows - then boarding. :yes

Yes, - I usually loose half my crew in the boarding fight but :shrug

Small ships are fast, manoeuverable, and can go through shallow waters - load them with as much crew & the heaviest guns they can carry & you can take on anything.

:cheers

Really?
You mean to tell me that you would attack and try to board a MOW with a crew of 1500 using a small ship with a crew around 200?
What are the chances of that ever sucessing?
I kill around 240 crew members with my pre-fight muskets shots....

Well, joking aside you are a human player and can/will do unpredictable things...
A small a.i will never try to board you and will immediately run after your first shot...even if you don't hit it....
As for boarding.....you will get a very instant and very discret surrender......
So you see?
It is a waste of time.....

Yes i also use small ships and have attacked many larger ships including MOW's. With the new system ready i don't think you'll want to be doing it too often though because just like Lucky Jack from the movie M&C your luck will run out. The new system has been designed around what a MOW would do to a small ship (higher skills more damage etc) so that means with low skills you might not sink the small Sloop for example but with all your gun perks, supurb crew and officer's you would sink a Sloop within 2 to 3 broadsides a Gunboat would take 1 to 2, the smaller the ship the less it will take etc. In truth a Sloop at close range would be sunk with a single broadside from a MOW, with a MOW with 102, 48Ibs cannons mounted it would be overkill. But to keep it fair the idea was to allow for someone who finds them selves in such a position to at least have some hopes of escape since its game over if you sink (at the moment).

My normal ship would be the Barque, Barkentien, Brigintine something like that where i can freely move around on deck without things blobking me. The Barque is my favourite for this since i can move from front to rear, side to side without any problems day or night. Ships like that are my normal flag ships, things like the Galleon, Fluet etc are companions in less i'm playing as a merchant then i will use a trade ship like that too.

Yes i also use small ships and have attacked many larger ships including MOW's. With the new system ready i don't think you'll want to be doing it too often though because just like Lucky Jack from the movie M&C your luck will run out. The new system has been designed around what a MOW would do to a small ship (higher skills more damage etc) so that means with low skills you might not sink the small Sloop for example but with all your gun perks, supurb crew and officer's you would sink a Sloop within 2 to 3 broadsides a Gunboat would take 1 to 2, the smaller the ship the less it will take etc. In truth a Sloop at close range would be sunk with a single broadside from a MOW, with a MOW with 102, 48Ibs cannons mounted it would be overkill. But to keep it fair the idea was to allow for someone who finds them selves in such a position to at least have some hopes of escape since its game over if you sink (at the moment).

My normal ship would be the Barque, Barkentien, Brigintine something like that where i can freely move around on deck without things blobking me. The Barque is my favourite for this since i can move from front to rear, side to side without any problems day or night. Ships like that are my normal flag ships, things like the Galleon, Fluet etc are companions in less i'm playing as a merchant then i will use a trade ship like that too.

You're missing the point.....
I am not talking about a situation where you are in a small ship and the a.i is in a MOW.
Allthow i am all for equal chances in a fight (even if is not very realistic)
Man-O-War/Ship-of-The-Line:These ships were the "heavy-guns" of the fleet. They resembled galleons in design, but sported heavy fire-power with an average of 65 guns. It was not uncommon to have over 100 guns. They were around 1,000 tons and had 3 masts, which were square-rigged, except for a lateen sail on her aft-mast. Only the three major sea-powers of the time (Spain, England, and France) had an extensive use of these ships.
The Man-O-War is a naval ship that was designed for combat and not for merchant service. It was typically heavily armed and often avoided by the pirates
there is no fight when it comes to a fight between a MOW and a small a.i ship the smaller ship simply flees before the fight even begun...
So their only purpose is to stop you.....
Even the encounter itself seems forced and unrealistic....
Is like forcing a caniche dog to fight a lion, comical...
Of corce the dog will run first opportunity he gets (unless he's brain dead).
The point is that this fight should never had happened in the first place, if you don't want to fight don't attack me...
The game was created so that every enemy should throw everything he's got on you.
I mean if man could walk on water i could just see a pirate or whatever attacking your MOW with a stick and rocks just because he has that option...
The smaller ship pressues you relentless for an hour and when you go in battle mode she flees..
Is like the captain of that ship says to himself "I've got to attack that big ship, I've got to attack that big ship, I've got to attack that big ship (and when it has the chance to attack) IT'S A BIG SHIP LET'S RUUUUUN"
Stupid.....

Back