• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic Smaller Caribbean and other Questions

Strannik

Sailor Apprentice
Programmer
Provisional
Hearts of Oak Donator
Hi! I just started to play new horizons and I'm amazed at how awesome it is! I have a couple of questions for which have not been able to find answers here in the forums. I apologize if this is not the place to ask them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. How do I increase my luck?

2. If I have a carpenter with a defense of 10, does this serve the same purpose as having a surgeon?

3. Do I have to keep books, microscopes, etc. in my inventory in order for the bonus to be added? or is it enough for me to read them and put them in the chest inside my ship?

4. Do all cities have tailors? How to find them?

5. If I have an awesome Master at Arms, is it the same as having multiple officers?

6. What is the difference between the Carronade and long gun?

I finally decided to go iron man and I absolute loved it. However, the caribbean is too big for the amount of time that I have available in my real life. I would like to be able to cross it at 20x in about 30-40 minutes.

Looking on the forum I found a thread with a file that may be related to what I want: PROGRAM\NK.c
(see http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/time-scalar-not-working.21389/).

I tried changing the WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_SCALE and TIMESCALAR_SEA variables, and it seems to do what I want, but the map is completely off. Does anyone know what else should I change?

Last edited:
:ahoy

This is the place and we will see about answers.

1. You increase your luck by talking to people. Lots and lots of people. This also increases your leadership.

2. Umm, maybe. Their skill sets are different so one may help a little more in other areas than the other.

3. I have been told that they work in your chest.

4. Not all cities have tailors. You will find them by exploring every corner of every city. You will find other things as well. Have you found the opium den yet?

5. It depends on how badly outnumbered you are and how good you are. Usually more is better.

6. The carronade fires a heavier ball that does more damage and the long gun fires a lighter ball farther. Damage VS range. If you have a fast ship that can get close fast then carronades can work well, but all too often your opponent will sit out of range and hammer you.

You can use the F2>Passengers interface to see the effective skills contributed by your officers.
You might need some fiddling around with changing roles to maximize their contributions.
None of the officer types contribute every skill at the same time.

1: I also found that looting chests helps raise luck. Actually, failing to loot a chest raised my luck - it seemed to have more effect if I set off a trap than if I opened the chest first time.

2: Carpenters fix ships, surgeons fix people. I believe a carpenter's "Repair" skill will boost the rate at which your ship repairs its hull and sails, provided you have spare planks and sailcloth.

3: They work in the chest as well. This is a good way to declutter your inventory!

4: Exploring, or sometimes asking a local person. (You can tell if someone's local if you're in the city for a second time and meet the same person. Also, locals don't tend to carry weapons.)

2. The surgeon's "Defence" skill is what decreases casualties during and especially after a sea battle.

Thank you so much for all your answers! Now I have a more fundamental question, but I will start another thread.

I finally decided to go iron man and I absolute loved it. However, the caribbean is too big for the amount of time that I have available in my real life. I would like to be able to cross it at 20x in about 30-40 minutes.

Looking on the forum I found a thread with a file that may be related to what I want: PROGRAM\NK.c
(see http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/time-scalar-not-working.21389/).

I tried changing the WDM_MAP_TO_SEA_SCALE and TIMESCALAR_SEA variables, and it seems to do what I want, but the map is completely off. Does anyone know what else should I change?

Thank you so much for all your answers! Now I have a more fundamental question, but I will start another thread.
Threads merged right back to prevent cluttering the forum with too many separate ones.
Title changed to be more general and appropriate. :doff

I'd recommend you start out with going back to Realistic Game Mode.
Then open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and tweak the following settings:
Code:
#define OPEN_SEA_MOD           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Worldmap enlarged for realistic DirectSail
#define WORLDMAP_DISABLED         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - DirectSail enforced
#define SAILTO_DISABLED           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Cannot Sail-To any ships at sea
#define ONSEA_DATA_DISABLED         0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Spyglass and compass additional information disabled, cannot move camera to non-player ships
#define REALISTIC_ABILITIES         1     // INT  - 1=DEFAULT: Controlled by Realism Mode - 0 or 2 override the Realism Mode setting
#define ITEM_REALISM           0     // BOOL - 1=ON - Items like rubies, diamonds and inca statuettes give no skill bonuses (books and items like compass etc. still do)
That basically allows you to make your own "custom" realism mode with only parts of Iron Man Mode, but not all.

You can either:
Leave WORLDMAP_DISABLED at 0 so you can always use it if you like.
or
Leave OPEN_SEA_MOD at 0 so that it is quicker to get from island to island.

Thank you very much for your help. I'll do what you suggest. I have another question though. Which value of TIMESCALAR_SEA should I use in PROGRAM\NK.c. 15 as in iron man, or 5 as in realistic?

If you use only the InternalSettings.h toggles, you don't need to edit NK.c .
15 is the more realistic number, but that works together with the other OPEN_SEA_MOD numbers so you shouldn't really change only that one.

Back