• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Realistic trade

Greyfoot

Sailor
I find it way too easy to get money in COAS, even in 3.1.5. I`m playing on Commodore difficulty on level 7 and am a multi-millionaire without selling any cannons(apart from the ones I looted from trade ships cargohold).
While I welcome the idea to trade with more goods I still feel that the game is unbalanced. For example a 6th rate ship would cost you around 50k-depending on your trade skill-however a single merchant in town would have no problem paying you literally millions for gold, slaves etc in cash on the spot.
IMAO there are two things missing from the game: tax and duty
Back in the era these two things that made colonies to prosper or struggle. Tax and duty were more or less the same within colonies under a country`s flag but corrupt governors weren`t uncommon at all.
If there is any way to implement a tax rate(slightly different from colony to colony)and duty on imported goods(making officials-similar to a soldier or something)the game would be much more enjoyable and I stress it this is my opinion only.
Also setting a maximum limit of cash for traders and giving them the option to pay the character later or giving him/her drafts would make the game more realistic.
Just imagine, bribing custom officers instead paying duty, haggling with merchants, evading taxes etc argghhhhh, I got a loads of ideas lads if any of the mods interested-and more importantly if these changes could be integrated- please let me know.

Ahh that was hard on the eyes to read. Space it out abit pal :)
Those are some interesting ideas but i don't find the game to be as easy as you state but it could be a good improvement to the game.

I agree that was hard on the eye's.

Anyway, those are interesting idea's and to reduce the amount of money you make ingame (at least for now) would be to set some house rules for yourself. Mine are not to sell ships or there guns, i loot the ships and sink them inless the surrender then i release them after taking what i want. I never purchase cannons i only take what i take the guns from captured ships. I alway's release any captains, i never sell them to the govenors, i don't sail around with maximum companions, 1 or 2 is my limit in less i'm playing as a pirate and finally i don't purchase ships, my flag ship is either my starting ship or one i capture.

Work on adding more balance to the trade side of the game is ongoing and we have managed to change a lot but its not fully fixed yet, we hope to have this balanced out more ready for the release of CMV3.2.

Cannons and ships are definitely the main culprits. Is there a way to change the percentage of a ships value that it sells for? Say 5% at 1 Trade skill up to 50% at 100 skill. Of course ship and cannon values are all out of whack anyway.

I use the expanded trade goods mod so this might be more of an issue with it, but trade goods weight/value ratios are all off IMO. I used to be happy when I found a treasure fleet, now I just think great a bunch of worthless ballast.

Ship prices have been drastically reduced and based around stock values, cannons have also had there values reduced and goods now weigh less with there weightsa based around stock values aswell.

There is some where a way to reduce the amount you make from selling ships and cannons we just can't find it at the moment, but when we do then we will make it so you can't make a furtune selling ships and cannons. ;)

Happy trading day gone bad

I had a 5 ship fleet over 1500 sailors when a storm blew up. Managed to raze all the sails then watched in horror as a water spout hit my big battle ship rendering it almost helpless. Right after that I was intercepted by 2 pirates, lost a nice cargo ship and gained a damaged flute. Imeadtaely I was then attacked by the Spanish fleet of 3 highly armed battle ships, losing another 2 ships in the process.

Over 800 men lost and a couple million in lost ships and cargo. I had to limp to Nevis in shambles. I had made some repairs and was in complete shock at what my happy little trading voyage had turned into. I spent all my money and sold all my stash of treasures and had to start over almost broke. A 3 man row boat could have captured my remaining fleet it was so badly damaged.

The thing I would like to see is a way to organize the shop item lists, move one port city next to the one you want to trade with for easier comparisons, just a thought.

Anyway Love this game and the v3.1.5... Keep up the good work Mod Team... 

I want that Black Pearl Pirate ship for my own. Oh! those black sails, it was a sight to behold, she approached then fired her cannons and sped away, I see that ship in my dreams.

Lord Fauntleroy.... 

I love your story Lord F! :gday

I wish more of our virtual captains would post narratives of their experiences in gameplay. Luke159 and I used to a long time ago, He and myself have been talking about just that subject and dabling with a little story writing based on stuff that happens during gameplay. I think we are going to start a topic soon.

All I can say mate is HIGH ADVENTURE!!!! LOL :woot

You have a good idea there. Shift towns up and down in any order you like in the Trade menu. I like that.

You'll get the Pearl one of these days. :dance

Those elusive desireable ships make the game all that much more sweet when you finally get one.

MK

Yeah... always strike the sails on your ships immediately when you enter a storm. The hull damage is easy to get by with, losing your sails isn't.

Yeah... always strike the sails on your ships immediately when you enter a storm. The hull damage is easy to get by with, losing your sails isn't.

I myself run at half sail in storms for realism sake. :keith

Nowadays as back then, a sailing craft was virtually helpless in a storm. We have storm anchors and storm sails now that keep the bow facing the storm and the ship in a line cutting the wind. Back then, the strategy was to run with the wind with at least a single fore sail set.....and hope they wouldn't run a foul of/or have a lee shore on their course. The reasoning for all of this is to prevent the ship from coming into a perpendicular position with the wind. If this happens the ship will capsize and if she don't come back up, you're most likely finished.

It would be neat if we could model capsizing. :sail

MK

Back