• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Reduced Storm Chance

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
@Dextr suggested adding an item in the game that would reduce the chance of storms.
I did so as per the last modpack update, but I have NO clue if it works as intended.
The item is "Clock1" (=Simple clock).

So I need to know a few things:
1. Do we even WANT this feature?
2. Does it actually do what it is intended to in its current form?
3. If we want to keep it, what item SHOULD we apply this to? Because obviously Clock1 isn't the right one for the job. ;)
4. How should this be balanced? Right now it is intended as a 50% reduction, which might be a bit much.

as far as want goes , i am all for less storms so long as we can have more storms and maybe even storm waves during normal weather if it works , beyond that i will try track that clock down and see if it works.

1. Yes, sounds good.
3. A Barometer, if those were invented?
If not it sounds more like a perk to me, experienced navigator, special know how etc

This only effects storms on the WorldMap. Having it item-related means that if you sell the item again, things are back to normal.
An ability would be irreversible. And I understand some people actually WANT storms on purpose.

Huh? Wot? The simple clock reduces storms? I never noticed any difference, but with the simple clock I am usually in the starter ship and avoiding storms anyway.

Hmm, I might want to rethink that because with a class 8 ship there is no chance of capsizing.......

Huh? Wot? The simple clock reduces storms? I never noticed any difference, but with the simple clock I am usually in the starter ship and avoiding storms anyway.
For simple testing purposes, yes it does. And no, it shouldn't stay that way. Also: I have NO clue if it REALLY does.
Didn't know what item to connect it to and I want @Dextr to actually condemn or finish that feature properly. :wp

well i haven't been caught in a storm yet on the world map i am hardly seeing them

You DO have a clock then, do you? If you keep hardly seeing them, get rid of your clock and see if they start occurring more often.

unless i have the wrong clock , is it the simple clock that you can get by starting off as a "naval officer" ?

aye , well considdering this is kind of a hard thing to test what i will do is go to world map and time 10 mins sailing around 3 seprate times with the clock counting the storms , and then 3 times again without the clock and then compare the amounts of storms i saw and see if there is much of a difference

Thanks, a good feedback would be very much needed to find out whether people would really want this or not.

Absolutely. A log of an early Caribbean explorer, a gifted scientist who wanted to learn the true nature of tornados and tsunamis, thus following them deliberately and meeting his demise in a most violent storm, is found by the player. Upon finding the log, the player is doomed to repeat its owner's destiny, jumping into storms daily. :D

Er, what kind of storms? I can handle normal storms ok, but keep losing ships in the twister storms.

2 Hylie: why, twisters of course:D Those regular ones are just sooo boring:D

2 Pieter: for my part at least, this doesn't seem to work. I tried using the clock, then modified the relevant variable to both extremities, but end up with same mild weather as usual, with just occasional storms. The code itself also seems to be functionless in determining the frequency... Used a new game each time in all cases. Am I that stupid?:D How's Red Back Dude doing? Any luck?

Did you check on the world map, Dextr?
It is quite possible that it really doesn't work.
I didn't test nor check anything.

Back