• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Remove Cursed Coins

Ron foster

Landlubber
Banned
Is anyone able to remove the "cursed coin" that shows up in the booty charms? This is the subroutine that turns everyone into skeletal zombies at night that attack all humans. It is a game ender and the only counter I have is to frequently save game anytime I open a chest. This is irritating and really slows the game for no good reason. Many of the people I have talked with tell me they gave up playing POTC because the game takes too long to play. After taking an hour just to get one scenario started without the irrational gimmicks that seem to popup during critical phases I can understand the frustration that leads to people just giving up, since no one seems interested in removing the childish gimmicks that are more Dungeons & Dragons than period situations. The game is plagued by gimmicks that need to be removed to make the play more reasonable and realistic, to the limit of current technology.

@Ron foster: Open PROGRAM\ITEMS\initItems.c and find:
Code:
n = InitItem(n,"cursedcoin", "",      4, 15, 0.10,   5,   1500, 0,   1, 1, 1,   0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  1);
Replace with:
Code:
n = InitItem(n,"cursedcoin", "",      4, 15, 0.00,  99,      0, 0,   0, 0, 0,   0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  0,  1);
Load your savegame (or start new game), press F11 and that's the end of that.

Easy peasy. There is really no need to waste any major complaints on this one. :rolleyes:

Here is what you need to do if you want to avoid the curse of the coins:

Nothing.

That's right. You don't need to do anything. By default, the game is set to "Realistic" mode, which disables the curse. You may still find the coins but they won't jump into your inventory, so you're free to leave them alone. (I'm assured that in "Realistic" mode, even if you choose to pick up the coin, you still won't be cursed. Personally I just leave it in the chest.)

The only way you can definitely be cursed is if you have switched the game to "Arcade" mode. And if you've switched from "Realistic" to "Arcade", you can hardly complain about the game being not very realistic. xD

What would one have to do to enable the curse in Realistic mode? Ctrl+Fing "curse" brings no results in InternalSettings.h, while searching the whole PROGRAM directory brings too many results to check.

It's deliberately disabled for realism reasons.
If I recall, the relevant code is one line in the Isla da Muerta location init file.

You can still get to the cursed chest even in Realistic Mode.
If you take even a single coin from the chest, that will immediately enable the curse regardless of realism mode.

Back