• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Removing Bombs and Fast Travel?

Grumblepunk

Sailor
Storm Modder
I know that the removing of bombs has been discussed before, but the talk never got farther than "Why would ya wanna do that?", if I recall correctly. Well, I can't speak for the originator of that old thread, but for myself, the reason is simple. Fights are won and lost far too quickly with bombs. I wouldn't mind if fortresses had them, but it's unrealistic on ships and highly boring. At low levels, your ship gets blasted out of existance, or your crew does, before you fire your second volley. At higher levels...let's just say I have no fear.

I just got a Corvette, for instance. Now normally a Brig is as large a ship as I am willing to pilot. With my Corvette, there is not a lot that I cannot accomplish, using bombs. If the wind isn't completely against me, getting behind my opponent and bombing the holy hell out of him is simply no contest. If they domanage to turn fast enough for a broadside, simply sailing away in an 'S' pattern allows me to launch enough of my own broadsides while avoiding theirs, that bombs win the day, again. If my enemy was using balls, they would have no need to close range on me and my "S" for teh winwould be completely neutralized.

There's my justification. :blah: Does anyone know how to go about removing them from game?

Fast Travel would be easier, I think. Removing the players icon for it would suffice, I am sure. Is it as easy as it sounds?

Hey grumble PUNK!!! :cheers i dont like that the fast travel is removed :blah: ,well about the bombs :? the first i played the POTC i dont like the bombs because i think there were no bombs at that time. xD: Well its my suggestion, so long

I too would love to see the bombs removed from the game as well as the fast travel.
I would like to know as well if this is possible to do.

I'm not sure how to remove the bombs completely from the game but you can remove them from the store.

In the PROGRAMSTORE folder open up the initGoods.c file in Notepad and find the entry for bombs.
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].Name  = "Bombs";
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].Cost   = 50;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].Weight  = 3;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].Units   = 20;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].SpeedV0  = 0.8;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].DamageHull = 9.0;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].DamageRig = 12.0;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].DamageCrew = 3.0;
Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].skip = true;

Change the last line so it says Goods[GOOD_BOMBS].skip = false;
and it will remove bombs from the stores. Of course it doesn't remove them completely from the game as that would involve change a very large number of files. Ther are almost 40 files have references to bombs and changing them all would be a very large job and could cause the game to crash if not done correctly.

You will find that the ships that you capture have got bombs and as you won't be able to sell them then they'll either be in the inventory permanently or you'll have to see if you can dump them somehow.

You could also change the damge done by the bombs so that they are effectively useless.

I'm not sure how exactly to disable Fast Travel but a number of quests use the line DisableFastTravel(true); to do it.
I don't know where to add this so that it will permanently disable Fast Travel as a large number of quests would enable this feature at some point in the game so you will have to add it somewhere where it will be called up and run. Perhaps adding it into the Reinit.c file might work.

The easiest way is to just ignore Fast Travel and just don't use it as editing your game to disable it permanently could cause problems with a large number of quests.

I've not tried any of these in my game so thay could very well cause problems when you do the changes, I recommend taht you back up any fiels that you change just in case it causes the game to crash.

If I recall correctly, that's not the case. I belive that bombs do more initial hull damage, more crew damage and continue burning doing damage over time as fire. Balls excell in fortress attacks where they punch well through the stone where as bombs do very little against them.

Sirus - That would only prevent me from having them, not the enemy ships. More challenging yes, but not really what I am after. I would like to pull it off more comprehensively with a bit of realism as bombs were exceedingly rare in ship to ship combat.

OK try changing this as well.

In the PROGRAMSEA_AI folder open up AIFantom.c and find the following line:
Fantom_SetCharacterGoods(rFantom, GOOD_BOMBS, MakeInt(50 * fKBalls + rand(200 * fKBalls))); // was 100,200
You could try commenting it out and see if that works, or set it so that there are 0 bombs called up.

You might have to change the AIFort.c file so that it doesn't call up bombs as well. Possibly changing the SetCharacterGoods(rCharacter, GOOD_BOMBS, 34000); line so that it calls up BALLS could work.

If this doesn't work then you'll hae to ask NathanKell to help you when he can find the time.

I agree, the bombs seem to take away from the realistic action of the game, but if there is not a way to rid them from the entire game, I'm afraid I wan't stop using them! xD:

Any cahange yew make,fer sure will be wiped out when yew download de build 11.0, yew might wanna be keep 'at in mind mates xD:

Back