• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Feature Request Removing easily repeatable max hp bonuses

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
Just remembered I had a list of issues to report before taking off--forgot to do so until now. :)

First is management of repeatable max HP bonuses.

The standard that any such permanent HP boosts should be balanced against is the Apothecary, where the player must collect many rare items and pay a huge sum of gold for +10 max hp, which is a balanced and thematic way to increase max HP.

To this end, the vapour +max HP in the crypt has already been removed (and will be replaced with a temporary buff to something else later). That solves the worst of the exploits.

The only truly odd leftover easily repeatable HP boost is sleeping in a bed of a town resident, which allows the player to get +1 max HP, permanently, per time sleeping in the bed. Obviously, being well-rested could explain a temporary 24 hour boost to something, but one should not be able to get some kind of permanent stacking bonus to max hp by sleeping in a soft bed over and over.

If staying in the resent's house, there is a 35-luck skill chance of being infected, and needing to cure yourself from poison.

There is a 65 + luck skill chance of healing up from resting, getting +1 max hp, and learning about wound treatement (ie getting defense skill):
if(AUTO_SKILL_SYSTEM) { AddPartyExpChar(pchar, "Defence", 50+(sti(PChar.skill.Defence)*10)+Rand(50) + grgbonus ); }
else { AddPartyExp(pchar, 50+(sti(PChar.skill.Defence)*10)+Rand(50) + grgbonus ); }

So the player already gets defense skill as a reward, and gets a place to stay the night without paying the tavern rate. I'd say remove the max HP bonus--as a permanent effect it makes no sense, and as a temporary effect it is too small to be noticable, and not worth doing.

File attached which does just that, commenting out the hp bonus part. If this makes sense to people, someone please post it to new content for me, I won't be around to do so probably.

EDIT reattaching with comments to end of thread

Last edited:
Any objection to implementing this file?

In other words, removing the ability to get +30 permanent HP by sleeping in a feather bed for a month? Of course leaving in place the defense skill boost.

I suppose from a balancing point of view, that does make sense.
Nobody really ever thoroughly thought through the effect of these additions on the balancing of the game.
It was more a "Hey, we can give HP bonuses now, let's do that!" sort of situation. :rofl

Yep, the apothecary one with the recent changes we implemented is a wonderful standard to measure hp changes against--quest for rare items, pay tens of thousands of gold, find an expert to do the treaetement, and you get +10 max hp.

So even aside from balancing/removing obvious exploits, from a thematic/immersion point of view, being able to spend a few minutes and a few poison cure potions to get the same amount or more HP cheapens that wonderful apothecary mechanic.

Ok, reattaching with comments added and posting to new content.

This is probably my last fix for a long time, but I'm glad now to have the HP issues with crypt and this resolved before I go. Really gives the apothecary collection mechanic a proper chance to shine.

Have a wonderful week everyone! :)

Attachments

• Enc_resident_dialog.c
    18.3 KB · Views: 167
@Tingyun you could also have used:

AddBuffToCharacter(ref rChar, string description, string type, string arg1, string arg2, int arg3, int arg4, float arg5, float arg6, string expire, string exp_arg1, int exp_arg2)

And fill in the right stuff to give it a HP buff for say 1 day or so :).

@Levis sure, but a one-day HP boost is unlikely to be noticed. And there seems little reason why sleeping in a random guy's bed should be treated different than sleeping in your own room in a tavern, especialy since there is no general rest system in e game, Basically, the HP bonus never really made sense in the broader context of how rest and sleeping works in the game.

On the other hand, the defense skill boost from learning wound treatement does make sense, because the dialog treats the resident as skilled at wound treatment.

Temporary buffs will be very interesting to create elsewhere though. :)

@Levis sure, but a one-day HP boost is unlikely to be noticed. And there seems little reason why sleeping in a random guy's bed should be treated different than sleeping in your own room in a tavern, especialy since there is no general rest system in e game, Basically, the HP bonus never really made sense in the broader context of how rest and sleeping works in the game.

On the other hand, the defense skill boost from learning wound treatement does make sense, because the dialog treats the resident as skilled at wound treatment.

Temporary buffs will be very interesting to create elsewhere though. :)
What about:

Sleeping in a tavern gives you a little HP boost for 3 days
Sleeping in someone else's bed gives you a defense boost for 2 days

The numbers could vary.

Back