• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Remus77 Christianus/Trinity

Using the original Beta 2.3 texture files, indeed that Spanish version has a green stern, so I'm changing her to Dutch.

Armada, do you need another screenshot with Dutch flag? I think you can hardly tell by the time it is resized down. Right?
Or would you prefer to have all new screenshots once I updated all their rigging?

It would be nice to have all versions use the same rigging, for consistency's sake. :wp

Alright then. Just wondered if you could see the difference on a downsized interface screenshot.
But I'll do 'em. :doff

The sails are often more noticeable than the hull itself when shrunk to 256 x 256. :razz

I suppose that's true. I just don't have the eye for all those sail... rigging... things. :wp

LOL! My knowledge of rigging is limited to first-hand knowledge on small fore-and-aft rigged boaties and whatever logic and the Hornblower series tells me about larger vessels.
Obviously that's not much to go on. :facepalm

The latter three versions seem to be older than the current one; the rigging looks unfinished, lacking a few ropes. Could you redo the last three with the current (Beta 2.3) version of the ship?

Yes the repaints DO use older versions due to Issues I encountered with the newer rigging model with using the build mod. While the updated rigging model worked well in Build 13 (where I first tested the ship), the model caused an abnormal termination error when I transfered over to build 14 and it was suggested that I replace some of the mast models with the older ones and I've been using them ever since. So only the masts are older I believe the hull (which I repainted) Will work with your newer masts and rigging If you managed to fix the build 14 crash bug with the rigging.

Looks good! for the Portuguese version, would it be possible to restrict the white to the same part that is blue on the French version? and have the rest the same color as the Spanish version? just might be more realistic for the era. and is that green on the Spanish version? wouldn't that be best for a dutch version? I personally think red or black would look best for that particular section of the Spanish version, but that's just a guess

The Portuguese version is my TrinityDM version which is a direct recreation of the Trinity I presonally sailed in Pirates of the Burning Sea. The TrinityDM is solid color for accuracy due to the Trinity model in Pirates of the Burning Sea not actually having that blue top highlight you're talking about. That top highlight was a rather nice touch added to our version by Armada.

Eh? Crash bug? I sail every ship I work on for testing purposes and never had a crash with the Trinity. I have also encountered her in game and the only issue was surviving the encounter.

If the original updated Trinity works, I'm sure I can fix up your repaints to work with the new rigging too. Will see about doing that later today.

Just finished updating the repaints to the newest version of the Trinity. How does this look?

Dutch:
NL_Trinity.jpg

Portuguese:
PO_Trinity.jpg

British Royal Navy:
RN_Trinity.jpg

The French one remains the same, of course.

They look fine to me. Isn't the RN version sitting a bit high in the water, though?

[nitpicking]
Also, I don't think a copper-like red/brown underwater hull is suitable for the RN version. This ship was launched in 1733, before the time of copper sheathing.
According to the book Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War, 1600-1815, ships in the 1730s would have been "payed" with a protective layer of either "white stuff" or "black stuff".
Apparently the latter was generally more common for being cheaper, but the former was preferred for use on vessels stationed further afield (Caribbean and Med) for its supposedly longer-lasting protection against woodworm.
An alternative called "brown stuff" became common in the 1740s, but it didn't fully replace white stuff.
Long story short, it's probably best to use a white texture instead.
[/nitpicking]

This doesn't necessarily apply to other nations, though. MK would probably know more on that.

Good catch on that waterline! Indeed for some reason, it was set to -0.8 instead of -0.4 like the others. o_O

As for the colour schemes, I merely used Noriruru's versions. :shrug

Repainting the underwater hull shouldn't detract from the rest of the paint scheme. I suspect Noriruru used a Napoleonic vessel for reference, so using a white texture will make it more period-accurate.
I would say the black/yellow paint scheme looks out of place as well, but the Rossiya uses a similar one, so I'm not complaining. :wp

So what texture should I change into what other texture to accomplish that? And should it be done on ALL Trinity versions or just the RN one?

Same as the default Trinity, which uses Poseidon11.tga.

As I said, I can't say for sure how the other nations would have protected their hulls.
Chances are they would also have used white stuff or black stuff (or similar substances) at this time, but definitely not copper sheathing.

Thanks! I wouldn't have asked if the waterline was correct; unfortunately it made the red/brown paint more obvious. Doesn't matter now, I won't ask for anything else. :doff

And as for noticing these details once resized... my signature is 200 pixels in height, which is smaller than the interface pics, yet you can clearly make out the colour of the hull.

Back