• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released Remus77 Postillionen

There are some updates:
- Guns locators are done
- Crew walk file is done
- All the rigging except the mizzen mast is done.

There's not much left to do... But I can't finish her quickly now. There are some changes in my life and I have to pass an IELTS exam in April/may with marks no less than 7777. As far as I know it's pretty hard so all my free time is spending on studying English and preparing to an exam. In case of that I have to take a break in modeling for a few months. As for Postillionen, I'll try to finish her as soon as I can, because she is almost finished. My other projects are currently frozen.

I'll return as soon as I pass the IELTS.

Greatest regards to community,
Rider88

It's good for one to have their priorities straight there mate. :yes

I'd put exams before gaming stuff too.

I don't know what an IELTS exam is but I hope you ace it.

If you do get the ship done soon, great, if you don't, you don't, simple as that.

Again may the wind be at your back with that exam. :doff

Yes, yes, what is the latest on the beautiful Postillionen?
william.gif

Anything new on this ship at all?

She's finished already but has two problems:
- There is no lower spritsail, thought locators are on their places. No problems with ropes but the sail just don't wan to appear. Tried various ways of solution, such as renaming the sail locators, renaming the yard, renaming the bowsprit, redoing locators, reexporting the model of the yard, copying fore topgallant yard, which works fine on her place... Nothing helps :(
- Lateen sail doesn't want to interact with the wind, so I'm experimenting with invisible boom. Btw, I have an idea of attaching a block to the lower edge of the sail instead of adding book. I suppose it will look more realistic.

Something is tickling my alleged memory about the Black Pearl or QAR having that problem. It was something about that spar being moved from another location on the ship, or maybe it was the wrong sail type. :shrug

EDIT: Here is a link to the QAR thread where this problem appeared. Maybe it will help you with your problem. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/17923-black-pearl-and-qar-progress/page__view__findpost__p__408419

- Lateen sail doesn't want to interact with the wind, so I'm experimenting with invisible boom. Btw, I have an idea of attaching a block to the lower edge of the sail instead of adding book. I suppose it will look more realistic.

I hope it'll work. That would fix the sheet problem and allow the sail to move properly in relation to the wind, and could be used in future lateen rigged vessels. I like the block, and in case you decide to add it, it should be not right on the sail, but on the sail's sheet between the sail and the deck.

So here are the news.
A spritsail problem is solved at last. I don't exactly know how... I've reexported the yard from 3d max, then from Maya, then redone all the locators and finally made the sail work.
Although the lateen sail is fixed. It interacts with the wind pretty well, I think. The Idea with a block failed. It looks beautiful, when sail is hoisted and absolutely awful when it is not, because block remains its position and does not move with the sail :(

So generally the there are only a few things left to do on the ship- some minor fixes with roping and path file + two alternative textures. I'll finish her as soon as I can.

She is a clean looking ship. :onya I'm hip deep in other ships at the moment. If no one else ports her to POTC before I get caught up I will gladly port her.

I've forgotten to add a crew walk file and ships_init adjustments. So the 1.01 version is now available with crew walk file and ship adjustments included into archive.

As far as I know no one has ported this ship to POTC yet, so I will start on her soon.

I'm ready to start on this ship but have a question. There are some textures that have the same name anad look the same as existing ones, but are far larger. For instance, the two zipped textures here look the same but one is 342kb and the other is 1,366kb. Is it preferable to use the larger textures? :unsure:

I guess if there's a noticeable drop in quality from using the smaller texture, then use the larger one.
If there's almost no difference between them, then the smaller one is preferable for obvious reasons.
I suspect this is a result of Pieter's mass texture optimisation for Beta 2, which made the majority of them 16 bit files instead of 32 bit.

Great. I did notice a drop in quality in beta 2. This means that in the future POTC will have to be split into two parts. So be it. :ixi

Well I got the Postillion into POTC. It's ...different. :blink: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76702168/POTC%20screenies/Postillionen-1.jpg

It looks like it's in a tall ships parade becalmed with all its sails set and running on its auxiliary engine.

I don't see what's so unusual about that.

I replied to this earlier today on the old forum, but then realised we'd moved... (and I hate these new smilies- far too exaggerated!)

Anyway, what's up with those sails? I've never seen any sails that flat with any locator configurations in PotC!
Are they in the wrong locator group, or are the locators the wrong way around (i.e. sails face backwards)?
Or is it something completely new and unheard of...?

Back