• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Repairing Bad Ropes

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Fixing the ropes in POTC requires a ship to be sailed out into the open ocean on the world map and then dropped into direct sail and then save and exit. Then look at the system.log for bad ropes and then go into every GM in TOOL looking for said ropes and then deleting them. Since it is tedious and the bad ropes do not seem to hurt anything I have only done that for a very few ships. IRRC only the Constitution and Centurion are free of bad ropes. Even stock ships have bad ropes.

===========================================

To-Do List:

Bellona variations, WIP by @Hylie Pistof
SP_BattleGalleon
NL_Lineship
HMS_Victory

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just tested this and found that my ship the NL_pinnace had a lot of bad ropes. Had being the operative word. Here is the cleaned ship if anyone is interested.

On another note, there has been something calling for bortoutgaleon_l1 and it has been cluttering things up. That texture is for one of the fast galleons replaced by De ZeeRoovers versions and as they use different textures there should be no calls for it. But something is. I can not find what is calling for it but when I dropped it into the ships textures folder that call went away.

Attachments

• NL_Pinnace.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 484
I tried another ship, the Postillionen, and found that ropes that were called bad are actually good! So stopped and don't know if I will try again.

Further investigation shows that while those two ropes look perfect in TOOL they do not show up in game, so there is some sort of problem there. POTC is saying there is a problem, but it is not the kind we are looking for.

Further investigation shows that while those two ropes look perfect in TOOL they do not show up in game, so there is some sort of problem there. POTC is saying there is a problem, but it is not the kind we are looking for.

I'm only looking at the locator numbers for Postillonen because looking at the ropes means little to me, but I can see that mast2 model gm ropee323 is tagged as group mast3 - the only instance of mixed labelling I've seen and it appears from its coordinates it should be partnering ropee322 which has got mast2 - could this be overtasking the engine but not Tool? Didn't see anything else obvious - what rope numbers are throwing errors/not showing up?

Where do you see that? Ropee 322 and ropee 323 are both in mast2 while ropeb322 and ropeb323 are in mast3. That is what TOOL shows. OOOHHHH. :facepalm Now I see it. That is a typo that I just corrected. It still shows up in game fine. My eyesight is bad and getting worse. :pirate07:

The ropes that stopped me are ropee202-203 on mast2 which are paired with ropeb202-203 on rey_b2. Those ropes are not showing up in game and are showing up as bad ropes but I can not see the reason why.

I can't fix them :modding as easily or as well as @Hylie Pistof but I can probably find them. :keithPutting the ship type into console case 1 give ship to character allows me to jump to map and back to open sea with each ship in turn. So I'll work back down the alphabet and post here what I find. Here's an example.

Attachments

• WallerPinnace.txt
    252 bytes · Views: 357
Putting the ship type into console case 1 give ship to character allows me to jump to map and back to open sea with each ship in turn.
I think there is still the "automatic GiveShip loop" code in console.c somewhere.
Then you can press F12, reload to sea/map/sea, test ship, repeat until you get them all. Quite a lot of work and you really don't have to do it.
But I've got to admit: Less system.log entries about all sorts of stuff would not be such a bad thing....

I think there is still the "automatic GiveShip loop" code in console.c somewhere.
Then you can press F12, reload to sea/map/sea, test ship, repeat until you get them all. Quite a lot of work and you really don't have to do it.
But I've got to admit: Less system.log entries about all sorts of stuff would not be such a bad thing....
Finding and listing them won't take long judging by how long it takes to cycle through one - even allowing for double checking any bad ones - just in case a ship sneaked in somewhere unseen to cause the logs. Fixing them may be a much longer task - even if the models are readable in tool there are often a lot of elements for each ship

If they are fixable it will remove the logs and put the missed ropes back in the model for those that know about such things so better all round and I know you expressed a desire to be shot of them. In the meantime here's a couple more.

Attachments

• US_Volage.txt
    880 bytes · Views: 344
  • WickedWench.txt
    129 bytes · Views: 340
These US ships seem a ropy lot - :checklistso far overall checked 23 (about a tenth I think) and got 9 candidates - I'm hoping it's because the American stuff doesn't get much attention in general. I think I'll pause at this point and see if I can spot anything obvious in these rather than have a huge pile to be looked at later, I can always pick up the list again afterwards later.

Oh a couple more are just logged as missing fireplaces - I'll keep a separate list of those in case someone wants to add some sometime.

Attachments

• US_Schooner47.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 353
  • US_PrinceNeufchatel.txt
    708 bytes · Views: 348
  • US_Hannah.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 360
  • US_FirstRate.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 356
  • US_Enterprise.txt
    184 bytes · Views: 344
  • US_Bellona.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 348
Well the obvious thing I found is that I can't fix them.o_O Basically they are all missing ropes so that although I can (eventually) find the locator position in GM viewer and then look at the ship in the game I still wouldn't know where the rope is supposed to go. The one I did manage with the fal's only had 2 missing both starting from those obvious dangling pulleys, one with an obvious twin to show where it should go and the other with a visible turn of rope on the rail at the logical point.

EDIT - Well I suppose I could get rid of the error logs by deleting the end of the rope locator that does exist since the bad ropes don't show in game the models will be no worse. I could leave an OLD copy of the part(s) of the ship in the ships directory in case anyone wants to fix them properly by replacing the bad rope(s) where they/it should be. END OF EDIT

I shouldn't have been sniffy about the US ships because the SP and RN are no better. In fact RN_Poseidon takes the prize (so far) with 49 bad ropes! :g2Anyway worked down to Q (about 80 models) and have a list of 31 (although a couple are duplicates).:read Instead of posting all the bad ropes I have produced a list which shows the amount on each - I can post the files if wanted but starting work on a ship will require getting hold of it in game so it's as easy to get the list direct at that time I think

Attachments

• Bad Rope Ships.txt
    571 bytes · Views: 358
Last edited:
So based on the above here are three ships (WickedWench, WallerPinnace and UncursedPearl) with the badrope data in a GM removed but a badrope version of the offending GM retained for future use in replacing the rope, both to be placed in the appropriate ship directory.

Attachments

• UncursedPearl.7z
    1.7 KB · Views: 455
  • WallerPinnace.7z
    1.8 KB · Views: 460
  • WickedWench.7z
    1.7 KB · Views: 467
So based on the above here are three ships (WickedWench, WallerPinnace and UncursedPearl) with the badrope data in a GM removed but a badrope version of the offending GM retained for future use in replacing the rope, both to be placed in the appropriate ship directory.
You removed the bad ropes, so the game won't give errors, right? And they didn't show before anyway, since they were "bad"?
So the GMs with those removed should be better then since apparently nobody noticed them missing before.
Or are there situations where they DO obviously stand out as being "not there"?

You removed the bad ropes, so the game won't give errors, right? And they didn't show before anyway, since they were "bad"?
That's as I understood it based on @Hylie Pistof 's comments, I still fall foul of not knowing how they should be rigged.
So the GMs with those removed should be better then since apparently nobody noticed them missing before.
I'd say "as good" because no-one in game worries about the logs either.
Or are there situations where they DO obviously stand out as being "not there"?

Hmm you need an expert for that. I would guess the larger the number the more obvious the flaws but some smaller ships might only need a couple. I would think the Poseidon with 49 errors would look odd even to me!! I've just done one with 7 (US_Volage) so see what you think.

For now I'm not even looking at the ships just the error logs and after checking a couple definitely did not have the other rope end defined would now just remove the reported end in Tool and checking the log is now clear (probably won't even do that once I have the "routine" ingrained a bit more). However fixing them is a second stage - and would be assisted because at least I'm identifying in which GM element one end of the bad rope (was) is in the backup GM file. I think the text file listing the bad ropes would be useful in the ship's directory too because if we go with my halfway work you won't see the error logs when you pickup the ship in game without replacing the altered GM(s). Let me know if you don't think it is a good idea, because I don't need to waste my time this way

Attachments

• US_Volage.7z
    1.8 MB · Views: 486
As far as I'm concerned, I care about "parts of the rigging hanging in mid-air" and "all sorts of system.log entries".
Accuracy of the rigging is @Hylie Pistof's forte.

At the moment I'm not entirely sure what to do on this one; my brain isn't exactly cooperating after this day's hard work. :facepalm

Would it be possible for you two to work together and upload whatever improved models you create so I can throw them into the game?
I don't really have time for very in-depth looks at the various ships.... :(

OK well how about I continue as I have been, which identifies in which part of the various GMs the bad data is.

If @Hylie Pistof confirms that in general bad rope data means the ropes are already missing anyway my halfway work can go in game and reduce/remove the error logs, if not they stay here until fixed. With the large numbers of models involved fixing may be a long process.

@Hylie Pistof can then work on whichever ones take his fancy in any order that is convenient. With some of the larger numbers of bad ropes he will probably be starting from scratch and I doubt that me removing them aka identifying where the error rope starts (or ends) will be of much help - say above 10 bad ropes (5 out of 31 so far) so I'll leave them alone anyway.

Any he doesn't want to work on can wait here (or go in game if the ropes are missing already).

Back