• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Replica Privateer Prudence Update!

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Just a bit of an update for those of you who may be wondering, since I posted the story about the Prudence replica that is going to be built in Barnstaple, England, I have done a bit of research. I was not familiar with this ship at all, but I was able to find out a bit about her. She was a galleon built in the late 16'th century, probably very similar to the Golden Hind. The Prudence is described in an an old diary of Philip Wyot, a town clerk from 1586 to 1608, as “The Prudence, of Barnstaple, with 40 mariners and 70 soldiers, under the command of Captain Sir George Carew.”

I was able to find references to three people named George Carew during the 16'th century, the first was an admiral who died during the sinking of the Mary Rose in 1545. The second, was a priest; and the third, and obviously more likely candidate, was his son George Carew. He would later serve under Queen Elizabeth I during the Tudor conquest of Ireland.

I haven't been able to confirm this, but the replica of the Prudence will likely be built in Appledore, a small town just outside Barnstaple. The same town where the replica Golden Hind was built. The North Devon Council will hear the verdict on the funding bid in February 2015.

Attachments

• Galeona.jpg
    Galeona.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 29
That is some good research. The Golden Hind is a small galleon with a unique profile, so a galleon similar to that would make a great contrast to Le Hermione.

Thanks mate! Yes, she will make quite a contrast with L'Hermione, hopefully that is something we get to see in person some day!

I ran across another article or two that said she might resemble the Batavia, only smaller. Since she was built in England though, and about 50 years earlier, I think the Golden Hind would be closer. Although they do share a few similaritys. Unfortunately there are no existing plans for her, and very few of any ships dating back that far, so a lot is going to be guess work.

That is a problem we will have when we start doing ships for the earlier periods of Hearts Of Oak too. Hopefully we can find a couple of modellers willing to take on the challenge!

Just a bit of an update for those of you who may be wondering, since I posted the story about the Prudence replica that is going to be built in Barnstaple, England, I have done a bit of research. I was not familiar with this ship at all, but I was able to find out a bit about her. She was a galleon built in the late 16'th century, probably very similar to the Golden Hind. The Prudence is described in an an old diary of Philip Wyot, a town clerk from 1586 to 1608, as “The Prudence, of Barnstaple, with 40 mariners and 70 soldiers, under the command of Captain Sir George Carew.”

I was able to find references to three people named George Carew during the 16'th century, the first was an admiral who died during the sinking of the Mary Rose in 1545. The second, was a priest; and the third, and obviously more likely candidate, was his son George Carew. He would later serve under Queen Elizabeth I during the Tudor conquest of Ireland.

I haven't been able to confirm this, but the replica of the Prudence will likely be built in Appledore, a small town just outside Barnstaple. The same town where the replica Golden Hind was built. The North Devon Council will hear the verdict on the funding bid in February 2015.
Nice!!

I was lucky enough to stumble over the replica of the Golden Hind in Port at Jersey (the channel islands) (I am pretty sure it was in 1993) - and was allowed on board for a tour. As a 16 year old ship fanatic it was really one of the best summer memories I have from my childhood/teens :)

Looking forward to follow this build :)

I am a bit late on this, I looked for news last week and missed this entirely. The North Devon Councils bid for the grant has been turned down, you can read the full story HERE.

They will be trying other options for funding, and have set up a Facebook page to assist in getting the word out.

Back