• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Reputation system

Teefy

Powder Monkey
become an assassin they said, it will be cool they said !

so i obliged this santos fellow and murdered them all.

as expected, my reputation took a hit when i started on my killing spree. who would have thunk :O

i am now 'Vixen' as i chose bonnie. i know how to restore it. throw alot of cash at the church, save the whales etc.

does it matter if you give the church a low amount alot of times, or does giving a single large amount do the same?
what is the list of reputations? im stuck at vixen right now and that hasnt moved even when i paid off 360.000 gold to the church. in vanilla you had bloke up to bloody terror. i can only assume it has been renamed for the lady.

also, im having trouble finding out these things myself. i know how to google but its such a chore. information about this mod is so scattered. everywhere..

kind regards,

The reputation names themselves are in "RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\common.ini". The numeric values corresponding to each reputation can be found in "PROGRAM\Characters\characters.h". Female reputations do indeed have different names and "Vixen" is middle bad, the equivalent to "Swindler".

I've never tried gaining reputation by donating to the church, but looking at the code, it appears that unused donations are stored so that giving a small amount lots of times will eventually work. But the total to gain a reputation level is pretty big, and depends on your character level and existing reputation. Another good way to raise your reputation is to talk to a friendly governor and accept a ship-hunting mission. Succeeding in one of those gets you +5 reputation, and as each assassination gets you a -10, you need to do two of them to get back where you were. It also has the advantage that it earns you money, as opposed to costing you lots of money to the church!

Assassinations cost you reputation when you talk to the target. Most times that is unavoidable, but there are two exceptions. One is Ambroz Bricenos, the man who hired you in the first place and who is your first target for Santos. Go to the beach, walk up to him and hit him without talking first. The other is Pepin Bertillon, the target at Pirate Settlement, Nevis. Again, you don't need to talk to him - you'll find out who he is just by walking up to him and looking at his face icon, then you can kill him.

thanks, that clears up alot. it seems all that i thought i knew is wrong or at least incomplete :p

@Teefy, the fastest way to increase your reputation is talking with street walkers:
- do not steal their purces, if game will propose you a choice (+1, fastest way)
- if you catch a thief, try choose replic without "throat cutting" or "guards calling"(+2)
- at least you can give 20g to someone who needs
If you are the "Neutral", you can protect citizens homes without getting a reward (The hero way).
Or taking down cats from a trees (I'm joking).

Last edited:
Talk to random strangers. Sometimes you'll get a message "This meeting has really enlightened you...", in which case you've just gained a few XP. Sometimes you'll get a message "This meeting has really lightened you..." - note the difference! Your pocket has just been picked. Talk to that person again. Sometimes you'll get the option to say "Careful! You are in mortal danger! My purse is a Thiefbuster TM thievetrap with a poisoned lancet inside!" or "Be a sensible fellow, let's strike a deal: you can keep my money, I don't care much for gold. But give me the diamondring back, it's a present from my wife." Sometimes this will lead to the option "Well, keep some Gold to get your enterprise started. It's okay, no need to thank me. Farewell." That one will cost you a bit of money and earn you +2 reputation. (And sometimes the thief will just laugh at you, in which case you're down a lot of money and probably an item unless you attack the thief to get them back - a sandbag or cobblestone can be your friends here.)

Offering to be a bodyguard in someone's home can help you earn more reputation, but only if it's already positive. You will not get this option if you are "Vixen".

If someone stealing from you, the game sending you a message "This meeting has really lightened you...". It means that part of your gold is now in pockets of citizen, whom you spoke. Speak with this bad guy (girl) again then! ;)

@Grey Roger: Simultaneously! :woot

Last edited:
Back