• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Retriggering broken weapon enemies as hostile

Tingyun

Corsair
Storm Modder
When an opponent has their weapon break, and then gets triggered to be hostile again, the rep loss for striking them persists even as they attack the player.

Two example conditions:

1) Go into a mansion bedroom. Talk to the girl, make her afraid, she will call her guards. Kill 2 of the guards, leave 1 alive with a broken weapon. That guard will start running, but have nowhere to run to, so mostly cower in a corner. Then talk to the girl again. She will call guards a second time. 3 new guards spawn, and the disarmed guard ceases running and begins attacking again.

2) Go into the maltese crypt, dig at a treasure site. Dig up a skeleton, break his knife. He starts running. Now dig again until you dig up any hostile event (indian mummy, exorcists, grandmaster, another skeleton, anything works). The first skeleton will turn around and once again attack the player.

Basically, there are certain events that tell certain groups of people to be hostile to the player, and if you retrigger the event a second time while a disarmed person from the first triggering is still around, he once again gets set hostile to the player, but you still lose rep upon attacking him.

Also, officers won't stop attacking you if you accidentally attack them.

While boardings I usually get in the middle of the party and slash everything that is in front of me and sometimes they get in front of me and get slashed so maybe they shouldn't attack you if you just attack them once or twice.

Thanks for reporting.

Indeed any characters without a weapon should be excluded from this process.

Officers should never turn hostile to the player as you're in the same AI group.
Should be zero HP change for accidental hits too.

Does this happen also immediately on a brand new game?
I have a suspicion it might be because the AI group relations can and do get messed up at times.

@Tingyun,

Really? They always attack me.

@Pieter Boelen,

I thought it was normal for them to attack, like it's treason or something. It only happened while boarding or just on the ship while at sea.

I don't know about a brand new game, it was always on mid game.

@Tingyun: Thanks for confirming. That at least sounds normal! :onya

I thought it was normal for them to attack, like it's treason or something. It only happened while boarding or just on the ship while at sea.
Are those by any chance officers who got knocked out at some earlier point?
It's definitely not normal.

I just started a new game and tried it so they were brand new officers.

Attacking them on the ship does get them to attack me back.
Attacking them while on shore doesn't, as @Tingyun said, they don't mind.

Can confirm Eskhol's report: Just went to my ship deck (just walking around on deck, not a boarding) and attacked an officer, he fought back, and he could be killed, unlike on land. Checked this also from a brave black flag start, to ensure it is a bug for new games as well.

EDIT2: further detail: if you attack an officer on board ship, then all officers in the scene go hostile to the player (not just the one hit), and all sailors in the scene go hostile to the officers.

So the officers and sailors begin slaughtering each other.

Last edited:
I tested it on ship deck, but Eskhol reported it hapoening on boarding as well. He said: "I thought it was normal for them to attack, like it's treason or something. It only happened while boarding or just on the ship while at sea."

Tonight as long as I can find some time I will run some boarding tests and attack my officers so I can provide confirmation.

should we fix the officers or should we just fix the rep loss when an oponents weapon breaks? I thinkt he second one is more logical because if someone attacks you but his weapon breaks you should still be able to kill him :aar

I agree with that, not least because you can suffer a major reputation loss if you're hacking away at an opponent, his weapon breaks and he starts to run away, and you don't notice so you hit him again. He's the one who hit you first, and if he's stupid enough to do it with a weapon on the verge of breaking, that's his problem, not yours. xD

True, but that is technically a feature request and not a bug.
The officers continuing to attack IS still a bug though as they aren't meant to do that.
And neither is the player. Though penalizing the player if it happens by accident does seem unfair.

In addition, we have a completely seperate (and much more serious) bug report from Eskhol here regarding officers becoming hostile to the player when struck on ship.

Should we break that off as a seperate bug report? It is actually urgent to fix, unlike the rep loss.

Last edited:
Also, @Levis you merged this with the retriggering hostile enemies, which is now the first post in this thread.

I think it is actually a different bug, because the solution Pieter proposed was that enemies who had broken weapons previously should not be retriggered to be hostile.

In other words, the bug for that one isn't in the rep loss, it is in the retriggering, and so should probably be separate bug report.

Separate bugs should be separate reports as much as possible. :yes

So @Levis: Please separate it all again when you get the chance... :wp

Oh wait I read the post wrong.
The other thing wasn't really a bug, its more a feature request I think...

Levis, totally understandable, I phrased them too close to each other initially. I need to be more careful in what I report as a bug or feature request!

I have renamed this thread's title to match the new content. I'm also going to write a new bug report for Eskhol's bug.

Back