• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New Fetch Quest for 3.3 Needs Testing

Possibly the fetch quests get more rare as you increase skill levels. I wasn't looking for them early in the game - will try an early save game and see.

Pieter,
Tried my earliest save game and got a fetch quest at the Tavern in Sao Jorge :dance .

Went to the shipyard at Governors Harbour and spoke to Phillipe - I didn't have enough room in my hold - 950 cwt was not enough - so at the start of the game when you only have a smaller ship you still can't get the quest?:modding

The space required for the fetch quest depends on your player character level.
In the early game, you require a small hold and later on you need more space.

There is no level influence on the chance on fetch quests.
However, the intended-to-be-slower economy with Open Sea Mod ON could make them less common.

My player level when I requested the quest in the early game was 4 - Just left Speightstown to go to Sao Jorge.

Levis did say on one of his early posts that you must be able to carry 500 cwt of sandal to do the quests. He also noted that this could be changed on quests_common.c - but the line he mentioned (354 from memory) did not have this as a variable in the current version and I gather he must have changed the code for the B3.2 release.

Indeed when he tied the Fetch Quests into the Economy system, he rewrote things quite extensively again.

I don't understand his code with all the options etc. Levis may have to advise. Do you (Pieter) know if there any way to use the console to generate an event to trigger the quest? I would like to try them?

Looks relatively complicated to me. I sent a message to Levis to ask if he knows a quick way of triggering one through console.

@Pieter Boelen , i think Levis is having too much pression on his shoulders. Methinks he's now having difficulties with exams and other stuff (Like me, now until July i won't be connected here again). So for now... let's leave him a breath and take him a break. Levis deserve it, because he has done a lot of awesome work! :aar

Fair call HellSailor. We can wait a while until Levis has caught up with his real life obligations and you are quite correct in saying he has done a lot of fantastic work over and above the call of duty.

Another factor may be that there can only be one fetch quest open. A very early entry in my log was about a port on Eleuthera expanding the war fleet. This was not convenient as early missions in the "Assassin" storyline have very tight time limits so I couldn't detour to there, and later missions didn't put me anywhere near there. Only after I'd finished the "Worm in the Apple" part did I get a real chance to go there, where the shipyard offered an additional dialogue option about having a large order. Since this was a long time after the initial entry, the quest was well overdue, so the shipyard owner replied that he wished he had a large order. When I talked to him again, that dialogue option no longer appeared. A little while later, another entry has appeared in the log about the other port on Eleuthera expanding the war fleet...

Indeed I do believe only one can be active at the same time.
So you are saying you have to basically investigate even an ancient Fetch Quest option that has long-since expired before the next one shows up?
That might indeed be the case. In which case, all we need to do is to "cancel" that active quest automatically after a while.

Would you be willing to test out that theory?

Yes, if there's a patch to test it which does not involve starting a new game. I'm well into the "Assassin" storyline and would rather not have to start over again... But there's that second expanding war fleet on Eleuthera waiting to be closed down somehow. :)

Just checked Eleuthera in my current game and yes the extra dialogue was there at the shipyard. Hoping now that another one will come up in due course. If the quests are locked out until you close the active one, then all will be good. If this is the case, then it is not a bug but only an issue of the Ships log not retaining all entries to the start of the game. We all know to look at it now, but any new players may not and may have the same issue.

:facepalm If a fetch quest appears you have to do it before another one will appear?

I saw those entries early on but did not know they meant anything. I am almost 7 years into the game and my log book only goes back 2 years, so I have no idea where to look now.

Also, if it is in an English colony I will never find it because I have no reason to visit an English colony, except Barbados to get rid of the occasional dead bird.

The original message I had about the war fleet was at Eleuthera. salonikasurf reports the same. Perhaps that's a coincidence or perhaps the initial quest is always at Eleuthera, not randomly placed. Try starting your search there. Either hoist a British flag before approaching the island or find a beach to land on.

Otherwise you'll just have to search all islands. Which, since I'm at that point in the "Assassin" storyline where I have to find a certain pirate without any clue as to his whereabouts, is what I have to do as well.
I may start my search for the pirate at Eleuthera and clear the shipyard quest at the same time. :keith

Well, I had a treasure quest in the Speightstown dungeon that became quite profitable. I got lots of loot from all the fighting, there was a good treasure, I visited the fort and extorted a load of bombs, then visited the tailor and found he used to have a fetch quest. Now maybe I will get a new one. :pirates

Last edited:
I received a new fetch quest - this time in Charlstown. It was with the shipyard but I am told I do not have enough space in the hold. I am now on level 37 but have a heavy pinnace of war with 4500cwt free. I also have all ship slots occupied with a total free hold space of over 7000cwt. Maybe the code does not take into account the other ships in your fleet and the higher level now puts the quest beyond me. I will try with an empty class 1 warship (biggest I can find).

I saw that Philipsburg is increasing their warfleet so racxed over there. They have no tailor shop so I visited the shipyard and he had something. He told me my ship is too small. My ship had over 5000 tons free and the other two had around 4700-4800 tons free each. Level 28.

The ships with the largest holds are the Manila Galleons if I remember correctly. They hold well over 9000 tons.

Back