- ModDB profile

3. GOF: Eras

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - TheBlackKnight's Mods and Guides
    - ModDB Profile

4. Ahoy
    New to the forum?
    Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Rossiya 1728 (Upgrade)

Discussion in 'Ships' started by Armada, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Armada

Armada Sea Dog Staff Member Admin Project Manager 3D Artist Storm Modder

Ahoy mates,

Many of you are probably familiar with this ship from various promotional images for Hearts of Oak; an early eighteenth century Russian frigate carrying 36 guns, which I originally built for the PotC Build Mod (more details on the ship's construction here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/frigate-rossiya-1728.18305/).

I built her to a high standard as far as PotC is concerned, making her a good candidate for eye candy to promote Hearts of Oak, but this standard simply isn't as good as what we're aiming for with the project. So, as I briefly mentioned before, she's in need of an upgrade, which is exactly what I've started working on recently.

Below you can see a comparison between the existing model and a new basic hull profile, showing a smoother geometry flow and better overall build quality. The white lines represent the part of the existing model that will be replaced by the new part, highlighted green.

[​IMG]

Anyone wondering why the original geometry is so messy in comparison, remember that started out as a low-quality stock ship for PotC, and I simply tweaked it to get a better shape. The new hull, by contrast, was made from scratch, and was necessary to use tileable textures as shown below.

The following images show a texture comparison between the two; the original using a traditional non-tileable texture, and the new part using high-quality tileable textures provided by Wedori. I decided to go with a blue upper section instead of black to add a more colourful paint scheme to the hull.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: The geometry and UVs aren't fully 'polished' yet, and the textures might be changed or adjusted later on.

I'll keep posting updates as I make more progress. Let me know what you think so far. :dance
    JohnV and Wedori like this.
  2. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Admin Project Manager Storm Modder

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    I definitely like it! Indeed the shadows are much smoother on the new hull.
    And that new texturing looks much more "wooden", even if it is not yet final.

Just wondering here, but.... once you've got her done, will you try her out in PotC as well....? :wp
  3. Armada

Erm... possibly. Don't count on her being a permanent replacement for the PotC version, though. The final version will definitely be a lot more poly-intensive. :bonaparte
  4. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Admin Project Manager Storm Modder

Pah; who knows....? Perhaps even SUPER high-poly models will work in PotC? Or she could be a Vanderdecken ship so she won't randomly slow the game down.
    Anyway, that's not exactly for anyone to worry about just yet. We'll see what the future brings. For now, you're making a great ship even better. :cheers
  5. Killerjoy96

Killerjoy96 Freebooter

It looks great Armada.
    If those kind of ships were everywhere around in Hearts of Oak it will be for me so much more fun than PotC. (I'm crazy about graphics...)
  6. Pieter Boelen

That completed ship Armada shows there already IS around everywhere in PotC.
  7. Killerjoy96

Killerjoy96 Freebooter

I meant the new version. The old one I can see it's for PotC. But the new version look so much more beatiful.
  8. Pieter Boelen

It's a good hull for sure. But there's nothing more just yet.... :wp
  9. Armada

Quick update: not much in the way of new stuff just yet, but I've polished the hull UVs a bit more and started substituting new parts into the rest of the model itself.
    Several components are misaligned because of the old hull shape, but I've begun retexturing old parts just to get a feel for how the ship would look in the new paint scheme.
    The actual parts will be smoothed out and have more details added at a later date. Gunports will be cut into the new hull towards the end, and cannons have been removed for now.

Eye candy below:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    philipjn, Bava, Wedori and 1 other person like this.
  10. Pieter Boelen

Impressive. Interesting new colour too.
  11. Bava

Bava Wannabe Shipwright Coordinator QC Advisor 3D Artist Storm Modeller

The new hull looks great, keep up the good work, Armada! :)
  12. Post Captain

Post Captain Rigging Expert Coordinator QC Advisor Storm Modder

I don't know if anything has been done on this recently, but on the recent theme of publicity, I think that this would make a great news article on moddb and facebook.
    It would be pretty impressive that we are implying the following: "The extremely detailed frigate that we have been using in our promotional material was good, but we decided to remake it to an even higher standard."

We also have the images to make it interesting to the readers.
    Thoughts?
  13. Pieter Boelen

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I wonder..... Could we perhaps try to post some sort of article/video every week? With a picture every few days?
    If we could keep that up, we should definitely be staying ON the RADAR. Which I do believe would be a good thing.
  14. Post Captain

That might work. If we set up a game promotion group, they could have the goal/deadline to produce one video every two weeks, while we could do an article every week or so, or even more frequently depending on how much we have to say. Images can be posted once every two or three days or something like that.

I think the videos will be our most important advertising assets in that cycle, based on the last one's success. They will get more people to watch us, while the articles and pictures will help maintain their interest and show progress. (At least until the articles start making it to the moddb homepage.)
  15. Armada

No new progress yet, for really petty reasons. The new stern bothers me. I don't know if I've modelled it properly. :modding
    I used some slightly different plans for the new hull, and although it looks better overall, the stern looks considerably thinner.
    To clarify, I'm referring to the new geometry shown in post #1. The galleries and other details haven't been changed yet.

NEW
    [​IMG]

OLD
    [​IMG]

It would be impressive if I could actually live up to the insanely high standards being set by everyone else, though I admit I'm struggling with that at the moment.
  16. Post Captain

I'm sure you will, though. Besides, it still sounds impressive, at any rate. :razz
    And the more people we impress, the better. :onya
  17. Bava

Looks alright to me, if the two windows left and right are false lights and the hull doesn´t cut through them. The hull should meet the transom at the orange lines, windows with a yellow colour are most probably false lights. I don´t remember if the Rossiya has a tiller or a steering wheel, if the former is the case than the middle window also is a false light.

Rossiya_new3.jpg
  18. Armada

This image shows where the new hull meets the transom:
    [​IMG]
    Note that the transom hasn't been modified yet, but the old hull was actually wider at the stern.
    By "false lights", do you mean they would be opaque?

One other thing that has me confused is towards the bow. Is it normal for the bulwarks to curve outwards so steeply like this?
    [​IMG]
  19. Bava

False lights are windows without glass and planking/wood behind the frame. Sometimes the frame was just painted on the planking.
    And the new hull looks fine to me, I don´t think you have to worry about the narrower stern.

Had this kind of curvature on the Boston and Southampton and I wondered the same, if I remember correctly. Looks alright to me :)
  20. Post Captain

That was definitely normal to see in bulwarks on later ships. It's not a bad feature to have.

Once you get to the point of adding details to the bulwarks/decks, let me know. I have some very good material on sheer planks/how the deck should meet the bulwarks on both merchantmen and men of war.