• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Rotter Lowie galeon, 20 guns, 1597

Rider88

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
So, I've decided to rebuild a stock COAS galeon_l. It is one of my favorite stock models and it is very similar to a dutch-built 20 guns galeon Rotter Lowie. I've removed everything except the hull shape which was modified.
Roter-Lowe-02.jpg

Roter-Lowe-01.jpg

RL03.jpg

RL02.jpg

RL01.jpg

Hope she would be a nice addition to the game along with her larger sister-galeons :)

I LOVE the Roter Lowe!!!

Thank you for doing this ship. It highly deserves to live in our game world. Check out this old thread. Post number 8 has some links to a model someone actually built, but I was never able to find the modeler. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/15712-special-dutch-galleon/page__p__364382__hl__%2Broter+%2Blowe__fromsearch__1#entry364382

MK

An update:
RL04.jpg

RL05.jpg

2MK: Yes that model is good. But no problem, I'll make my own ;)

That's one good looking ship. :onya

Shouldn't the underwater hull (the part below the waterline) be white, though?

Armada,
a white paint of the hull is common in the 18th century.
True, but I've read that it was also common in the 17th century. Admittedly, I don't know if it was used earlier than that.

She looks great, but does she have a crew yet?

The Notorious, a replica of a caravel in Australia is coated in period materials and is all black.

@Armada
In the 17th century, smeared the fuselage with pitch.
Yes, that knows what they mean is not white. "Bleiweiß" it is called in German.
The engl. Name I do not know. It is white-gray. But was rarely.

Last edited:
"Notorious has a period finish known as black varnish, a mixture of Stockholm tar, linseed oil, pure turpentine and pitch."

Dunno if there were other coatings at the time.

Hehe, Jan, muss mal kurz klugscheissen hier. Der Name ist nicht "Bleimenge" sondern "Bleiweiß". Der englische Name ist "White Lead"
Ist ein basisches Bleicarbonat. Und wurde schon seit dem Altertum als Weißpigment verwendet. Es wurde nur sehr selten für Unterwasseranstriche verwendet, da es zum einen sehr giftig ist und zweitens sehr schwer herzustellen war und somit sehr teuer war. Und bei den wenigen Schiffen, wo Bleiweiß für den Unterwasseranstrich verwendet wurde, blieb dieser nicht weiß sondern wurde durch das Mischen mit Schwefel, Teer und Pech eher rötlich beige wie altes Pergament und dunkelte sehr stark nach wegen dem Blei.
Ich weiß, du kennst das Bild unten von den Farben, die auf der "Vasa" verwendet wurden. Das zweite von Links unten ist Bleiweiß.

Hehe, Jan, I must play the wise ass in here . The german name is not "Bleimenge" but "Bleiweiß". The english name is "White Lead".
Is a basic lead carbonate. And since ancient times it was used as a white pigment. It was very rarely used for underwater coatings cause it is very toxic and was very difficult to make and so it was very expensive. And in the few ships where "White Lead" was used for the underwater paint the color wasn't real white anymore. Prepared by mixing with sulfur, tar and pitch it went rather reddish beige like old paper and getting dark very quickly because of the lead.
I know that you know the image below of the color pigments that were used on the "Vasa". The second on bottom row is "White Lead".

Vasa_color_pigments.jpg

@Hylie
We have a topic in our forum ...
common color of ships in the 17th century ........ gebräuchliche Farbgebung von Schiffen im 17. Jh.
You can also find the manufacture of paints explained.

@ Jack Black
you can read it in the archive at shipbuilding old boy ...... steht doch im Archiv unter Schiffbau altes Haus ...... :rofl

Back