• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Runtime Error ENGINE.exe

Captnine: It looks like a lot of textures are not there. I was hoping someone with more knowledge would look at this. I have gotten bad downloads in the past. Maybe that is your problem.

Nolzi: You do not want to install either Swiftshader or ENB when you first install PotC. If you want or need them, install them after it is up and running.

Everyone: This is a good site to get your downloads from. I get them from here and it installs and runs fine every time. I have three separate installs working on this computer right now.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/15382-build-14-beta-1/

Captnine, that looks pretty similar to common errors I get in my game. Things work fine though. :shrug

Nolzi: You do not want to install either Swiftshader or ENB when you first install PotC. If you want or need them, install them after it is up and running.
So you mean that SS/ENB messes up the language ini thing? Kinda weird, but if you say so.
But I dont wanna download it again uselessly, could you give us a CRC/MD5 hash of your perfect installers?

I don't know if ENB/Swiftshader cause language problems or not, but they do cause problems with the install. I tried them a few months ago and got a dead install. Now I don't use either one. Installing them after the game is up and running works better.

Uh oh. What is a CRC/MD5 hash? :shrug There is a torrent available here. http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16647-one-small-step-for-the-build/ There have been no customers there, so I can't say how good it works, but those are the same installers I use which I dl'ed from the link above.

:facepalm
Ok, I made the problem. I left the original XINTERFACE.dll named as XINTERFACE.dll_ in the MODULES, but look like the engine did not skipped it despite its extension.
Well, at least we learned something today too.

The engine seems to like loading all DLL files in the game folder, even renamed ones. :shrug

i have no idea what is wrong. i think it might have been that the original game was installed to program file's (86x), since i have a 64-bit windows 7 laptop, but i had moved it to a games folder in the C: drive. when i click on config, it says that the engine.ini or other files were missed, and i always get a run-time error. this is what it looks like

Storm Engine 2

Scanning current directoryLoading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing core
no 'modules path' key in engine.ini
scanning current directory
creating atoms space:128 done
initializing complete

Runtime Error!

Program C:/Games/Pirates of the Caribbean/ENGINE.exe

abnormal program termination

im downloading a new copy of build 14 beta 1 full, so ill see if something was missed, but help would be nice.

:gday

If you moved the whole folder, then everything in it would be moved also. It sounds like some files are missing so a re install is a good idea. Just follow the directions carefully and it should work fine.

The engine.ini is where you set your screen resolution. You should not go to config.exe.

i have no idea what is wrong. i think it might have been that the original game was installed to program file's (86x), since i have a 64-bit windows 7 laptop, but i had moved it to a games folder in the C: drive.

That sounds like the root of your problem. Do a complete unistall of PotC, make sure to go into the old folders where the game was also to clean out/delete anything left over. Then reinstall completely from scratch, and follow the instructions for installing the Build Mod and it's patches carefully, that info should be around these forums at the top somewhere. It's best to install it all in the right(best) place from the start imho.

I game on XP and use Program Files(but on an F: partition) for PotC+Build Mod, but if your using windows 7 you will have to create a folder outside of Program Files first to install to(if i understand the windows vista/7 instructions). Once you got your good installation directory, install it all there, and once your done, don't forget to run the 'rename.bat' file that should be in the main PotC directory - all that info is in the topped threads i mentioned :)

Goodluck and let us know how you get on :sail

Back