• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Runtime Error, Engine.exe

Heinz-Fiction

Powder Monkey
Ahoy Lads!

After some time i want to finally get back to the ocean, so i installed a clean version of potc and new horizon. The problem is, the game doesnt work. every time i hit the shortcut, a message appears istantly and says

Runtime Error

Program: E:\.......POTC\Engine.exe

abnormal program termination

what did i do wrong? I didnt find some solution in known game issues. I use Win 7 64bit

This is usually either a hardware problem or a bad install.

So, do you use intel graphics? That causes a black screen without the fix.

Where and how did you install POTC and the mod?

Ive installed POTC at my gaming hdd on E:/, run it vanilla for the first time, works fine. I downloaded installer and contents pack 1&2, installed the mod to E:\POTC, configure game options so i can use my optimal widescreen resolution with it. then i hit the shortcut and get that message. I dont use onboard intel graphics

This is what my POTC installer folder looks like. All I do is click on the exe and show it where the POTC install is, then pick the options I want. Are your files the same size as these?
Beta3.2 installer folder.jpg

Umm, is E:/ an external hard drive? Sometimes windoze security crashes POTC there as well as in program files.

Ok, go into your POTC folder and delete the options file. You will then have to reset your options but that sometimes helps.

Do you have FFdshow anywhere in your computer? That used to cause problems.

Definitely an installation error of some kind:
Code:
COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\sea.c; line: 146
function LanguageCloseFile(args:0) doesnt accept 1 arguments
Are you sure you followed the installation steps correctly? I think I've seen that one before, but can't remember when it happens.
It is either Windows Security Stupidity or a direct extracting of the 7-Zip archive instead of letting the Installer EXE take care of it.

Do you have a compile.log as well? That would tell us if the modpack version is being logged properly.

deleting options doesnt solve the problem and i dont have ffdshow. I also have no compile.log in my folder ... i try to reinstall everything

NO compile.log? That is really quite odd. That is usually one of the first things that gets written.

I too am having the same error every time and I've already reinstalled the whole thing twice. The unmodded game runs fine. I don't have intel graphics, ffdshow or even Windows Security. I installed the game in D:/Games and then installed the mod using the .exe. I don't know what could I be doing wrong.:(

error.log
COMPILE ERROR - file: sea_ai\sea.c; line: 146
function LanguageCloseFile(args:0) doesnt accept 1 arguments
system.log
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 526
fail to create program
I don't seem to have a compile.log either

I'd appreciate some help.

Which version of the modpack are you running.
Could you please describe how you installed it.

I'm running the last one on moddb, Build 14 Beta 3.4

I downloaded both the installer and the contents archive, created a new folder, put them both in it and executed the installer

I too am having the same error every time and I've already reinstalled the whole thing twice. The unmodded game runs fine. I don't have intel graphics, ffdshow or even Windows Security. I installed the game in D:/Games and then installed the mod using the .exe. I don't know what could I be doing wrong.:(
Wrong installation. We covered that one a few days ago here:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/just-another-engine-exe-crash.25288/#post-509599
Note especially post #6 there.

Any messages from the installer during the process?
Do you have a Build Info.txt file in your main game folder?
Does it indicate the correct date?

Outside Program Files, is it?

Back