• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Runtime Error, Engine.exe

Also, I still don't know how else to handle it properly.
Directly using 7za.exe instead of the far-too-simplified "nsis7z.dll" file might help in the reliability.
But I think that won't give us nice progress updates during the installation process, so users won't know how much longer it will take.
When I last searched for answers on how to use a 7-Zip archive from an NSIS EXE, I never did find any truly good solutions. :(

Well I looked into the installer code last night.
Except for the game technical parts, I understood everything, and I think the code can be improved. Perhaps Pieter my have already tested my suggestions.
And because I'm new to this project , I don't know the technical things about the game. For example why many files are marked useless and get deleted or why
folder structures change and files get renamed. (there must be a good reason that I'm not aware of). So don't laugh at me for the first suggestion :oops:
Here's the points that I thought can be improved in the NSI file:

1. Version numbers edited to match the current release in lines 3 and 16:
Code:
Before:
Name "Build 14 Beta 3.2"
!define PRODUCT_VERSION "Build 14 Beta 3.2"

After:
Name "Build 14 Beta 3.4"
!define PRODUCT_VERSION "Build 14 Beta 3.4"

2. This really big part isn't needed because patch is being installed on the original game! Unless you have a good reason (for example if updating from 2.5 to 3.4 is possible) for that I'm not aware of. Otherwise it makes the install process heavy.
Line 2170 to 3210, around 1000 lines!!!

3. Why not directly extracting to the game folder?
Why setting SetOutPath to "$EXEDIR" instead of "$INSTDIR" ?
; ================================================
; Install Main Modpack Files
; ================================================

; Extract 7-Zip File

SetOutPath "$EXEDIR"
Nsis7z::moddingxtractWithDetails "b14_beta3_full.7z" "Extracting Main Modpack Files: %s..."

; Copy from EXE Folder to Installation Directory

!insertmacro MoveFolder "$EXEDIR\b14_beta3_full\" "$INSTDIR\" "*.*"

It can be like this:

Code:
   SetOverwrite on
   SetOutPath "$INSTDIR"
   Nsis7z::ExtractWithDetails "b14_beta3_full.7z" "Extracting Main Modpack Files: %s..."

And the Move macro can be omitted. Tell me why extracting 7z file manually doesn't work? Because below code exactly moves the extacted files to the install directory and replaces them, right?

@Kpax7 I don't know all details either.
I sugest you take your working install and take a stoc potc game.
Compare them and see what should change.
I also believe extracting to the main folder should be possible, but before that is done probably some files have to be moved and/or renamed because they have to stay.
If you can make an installer which takes a stoc potc installation and afterwards returns a new modded version, preferbly by using the existing zip file (and maybe a new one or an included one) that would be nice.

We dont want to the large zip file to often because from what I understood it's quite a pain to get it uploaded to moddb. So we are now working to get 3.5 released. THe update after that will be an RC version for build14 which will be up for public testing for a while. After that we will release Build 14 officially. This will be the point we would like to replace the existing zip file.

Using a different out path, eh? I didn't actually try that at the time. Worth a shot!

There are indeed a bunch of lines to make the installer work also on earlier modpack versions.
May not be needed anymore, but I'd rather be safe than sorry on those.
I figure that deleting files that aren't there shouldn't take up too much time anyway.

The version is already correct in the latest installers. The code I uploaded before is a bit old and I could post the true latest one on Friday if you're interested.

Still waiting for the latest code, and the results of changing the output out path ...
I also found some bugs in the game. Don't know it's a bug of the game itself or the patch
To be brief:
1. On smuggling missions sometimes if you miss the deadline after talking to the agent in the tavern, the quest still remains active. And if I go to that shore you find nobody and you can't smuggle anymore in any islands. they say you have unfinished business!

2. The most nasty bug! I got a damn Cross from a monk! It's perfect for the stats but I can't save anymore! It syas you must return it to the monk in Nevis!
Apart from the WRONG Archipelago Map included with the patch (which shows the location of Nevis port tooooo WRONG, I got a headache) Nevis has no roaming Monks to return the Cross! WTH!?
And if I go to the church in Nevis, there's nobody in there and you only hear somebody sneezing and farting in the church :confused:

I'm totally lost! guide me please :modding

Still waiting for the latest code, and the results of changing the output out path ...
For my current code, see attached.
I haven't even started on trying to change the output out path yet, because I've been well occupied with a complete rewrite of all sorts of nation relations related code.
If that indeed does turn out to work, I'll have to completely redo the 7-Zip archive because the current one is set up to deliberately extract to a subfolder which we no longer want.
So I'll have to wait with that until the proper Beta 3.5 release. But you're welcome to give it a shot in the meantime. :doff

2. The most nasty bug! I got a damn Cross from a monk! It's perfect for the stats but I can't save anymore! It syas you must return it to the monk in Nevis!
Apart from the WRONG Archipelago Map included with the patch (which shows the location of Nevis port tooooo WRONG, I got a headache) Nevis has no roaming Monks to return the Cross! WTH!?
And if I go to the church in Nevis, there's nobody in there and you only hear somebody sneezing and farting in the church :confused:
Pedrwyth made some fixes to that last week, but the update with those changes included hasn't been posted yet.
I'm intending to do that on Monday at the latest.

What is wrong with the Archipelago Map? Do you have a screenshot?

There is such a monk of Nevis though, though; he walks around the jungle location just outside the Pirate Settlement.

Probably nobody bothered adding a proper monk there because it wasn't ever needed.
Would be nicer if there WAS a generic one, though.

Attachments

• b14_beta3_installer.zip
    59.2 KB · Views: 155
I also found some bugs in the game. Don't know it's a bug of the game itself or the patch
To be brief:
1. On smuggling missions sometimes if you miss the deadline after talking to the agent in the tavern, the quest still remains active. And if I go to that shore you find nobody and you can't smuggle anymore in any islands. they say you have unfinished business!

I'm totally lost! guide me please :modding

There are two settlements on Nevis. Charleston on the North end and the Pirate settlement on the South end. There is a monk just outside the Pirate settlement and by going in the other direction you will find a surprise!

There is such a monk of Nevis though, though; he walks around the jungle location just outside the Pirate Settlement.

There are two settlements on Nevis. Charleston on the North end and the Pirate settlement on the South end. There is a monk just outside the Pirate settlement and by going in the other direction you will find a surprise!

Very true :cheeky but without the update/upload of fixes all that Monk is likely to do is give you another cross (and monk to return it to) but there will be no release from them damn Monks!!:dance:whipa

For my current code, see attached.
I haven't even started on trying to change the output out path yet, because I've been well occupied with a complete rewrite of all sorts of nation relations related code.
If that indeed does turn out to work, I'll have to completely redo the 7-Zip archive because the current one is set up to deliberately extract to a subfolder which we no longer want.
So I'll have to wait with that until the proper Beta 3.5 release. But you're welcome to give it a shot in the meantime. :doff
Ok, So we'll wait. Because the installer code points to the files that are located on your desktop and I don't have the source files. :shrug

Pedrwyth made some fixes to that last week, but the update with those changes included hasn't been posted yet.
I'm intending to do that on Monday at the latest.
So I have to start a new game and avoid the monk! dang :bonaparte

What is wrong with the Archipelago Map? Do you have a screenshot?
4612-Archipelago%20Map.png

Oh, Thanks, I didn't look into the other settlement!

Probably nobody bothered adding a proper monk there because it wasn't ever needed.
Would be nicer if there WAS a generic one, though.
I think there was a generic monk in the church, plus the fact that when entering the church in the loading screen shows the monk in the picture standing before the altar.

Very true :cheeky but without the update/upload of fixes all that Monk is likely to do is give you another cross (and monk to return it to) but there will be no release from them damn Monks!!:dance:whipa
Damn!!! So I'm cursed!! I should start a New game then! :thumbsdown2
Thanks for the info though

And a question!
I really have difficulty to moor in ports. takes days for me to successfully moor near islands. Is it right :
In the world map I go near a point that I think is the port and press space. Then it shows the sea view. I see the port but the "Port" or "Moor" buttons don't show up!
I return to world map and go forward and backward a couple of times for the Port button to show so that I could go to land. Is this normal?

Another question!
When engaging an enemy ship, I remember I could move the ship! And I see in the options that it has marked "A" and "D" buttons for turning the ships to Left and Right!
But none of them works! the ship stays fixed and enemy ships shoot their canons and I cant move!
I tried changing the keys in the options but they still don't work!
And also tried changing to 3rd person or 1st person view. still nothing! o_O
Help!

Update!
Went to the other monk. He wanted to give me another damn cross! I rejected his offer. But he said if I wanted to destroy the Cross I can dispose it in the fire of Mount Doom! Do you have any idea where that is? :unsure

I talked to him one more time and took the other Cross! while I kept the first one!
After that I talked to him again and he told me if I wanted to return the Cross, but the dialog seemed to be unfinished and I had to end the conversation and say goodbye!
Must be fixed.

Also The monk Offers 3 relics but only shows 2 Crosses to you, the one that increases your combat skill (Cooper) and the one that doubles the health (Silver). Where's the 3rd one? (I assume it is Gold)

Last edited:
Update!
Went to the other monk. He wanted to give me another damn cross! I rejected his offer. But he said if I wanted to destroy the Cross I can dispose it in the fire of Mount Doom! Do you have any idea where that is? :unsure
Are you playing the most recent version now?
Cause this is only just fixed in the version posted today....

So I have to start a new game and avoid the monk! dang :bonaparte
The corrected files were posted today. See the link in my signature.

Indeed that looks like the town names are swapped. That map isn't really all that good; we used to have a much better one, but it was for the old worldmap so it isn't correct anymore. :(

I think there was a generic monk in the church, plus the fact that when entering the church in the loading screen shows the monk in the picture standing before the altar.
The loading screen doesn't mean anything. The same location model is reused for different towns, most of which do have priests.
But at the moment Charlestown simply doesn't; I just checked in the code.

And a question!
I really have difficulty to moor in ports. takes days for me to successfully moor near islands. Is it right :
In the world map I go near a point that I think is the port and press space. Then it shows the sea view. I see the port but the "Port" or "Moor" buttons don't show up!
I return to world map and go forward and backward a couple of times for the Port button to show so that I could go to land. Is this normal?
Are you on Realistic Game Mode? If so, you have to discovered the anchorages before you can use Sail-To for them.
Buying a map of the island unlocks the reloads too.

When engaging an enemy ship, I remember I could move the ship! And I see in the options that it has marked "A" and "D" buttons for turning the ships to Left and Right!
But none of them works! the ship stays fixed and enemy ships shoot their canons and I cant move!
I tried changing the keys in the options but they still don't work!
And also tried changing to 3rd person or 1st person view. still nothing! o_O
Help!
How are you sailing around then? I've been using the WASD keys all day and haven't had any problems. :shock

Update!
I'm afraid you got fooled by one of the old modders' idea of a joke.
Mount Doom isn't in the game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Doom

I talked to him one more time and took the other Cross! while I kept the first one!
After that I talked to him again and he told me if I wanted to return the Cross, but the dialog seemed to be unfinished and I had to end the conversation and say goodbye!
Must be fixed.
Already done by @pedrwyth last week. :yes

Also The monk Offers 3 relics but only shows 2 Crosses to you, the one that increases your combat skill (Cooper) and the one that doubles the health (Silver). Where's the 3rd one? (I assume it is Gold)
That part wasn't finished until @pedrwyth fixed that mod and finally enabled the third cross also last week.

Ok, So we'll wait. Because the installer code points to the files that are located on your desktop and I don't have the source files. :shrug
I forgot to mention... The required source files should have been in that old ZIP I posted last year.
All other files from my desktop are just the latest game code and resource files. But for testing the concept, you can just use placeholders for that.
Basically the only thing we need to know is if using that 7-Zip DLL with a different "out" folder actually works or still extracts to the folder with the Installer EXE in it.
If we know that, we know in concept it does work and we can skip a rather clumsy step in the process altogether.

Only issue will be redoing the 7-Zip archive to match, but that can be arranged.
Will be annoying for people who have to re-download it again though. That cannot be helped though. :facepalm

Are you playing the most recent version now?
Cause this is only just fixed in the version posted today....
The corrected files were posted today. See the link in my signature.
I guess I should download the most recent 3.5 because the initial beta 3.5 doesn't work for me (gives runtime error both to new installs and as an update to 3.4)
I'll download and install the new version in a few days.

Indeed that looks like the town names are swapped. That map isn't really all that good; we used to have a much better one, but it was for the old worldmap so it isn't correct anymore. :(
I think it must be fixed because makes a great confusion, and should be ready for the next full release.
You should have the map source file (photoshop layered) or something, right?

The loading screen doesn't mean anything. The same location model is reused for different towns, most of which do have priests.
But at the moment Charlestown simply doesn't; I just checked in the code.
So Can't be added to the code? for example by copy pasting the code from another church? Seems to me as a flaw anyway :)

Are you on Realistic Game Mode? If so, you have to discovered the anchorages before you can use Sail-To for them.
Buying a map of the island unlocks the reloads too.
As far as I checked I wasn't on realistic, and I had to discover the ports first. but I'll double check.

How are you sailing around then? I've been using the WASD keys all day and haven't had any problems. :shock
I can sail fine in the world map from islands to islands using WASD but during a battle nothing works, I can only fire my canons manually using first person and using W and S switches the sails position from "Strike all down" to "Battle mode" or "Full Sails up".
I'm afraid you got fooled by one of the old modders' idea of a joke.
Mount Doom isn't in the game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Doom
:boom:

That part wasn't finished until @pedrwyth fixed that mod and finally enabled the third cross also last week.
So Thanks to him! We could use em! Hooray! :onya

Only issue will be redoing the 7-Zip archive to match, but that can be arranged.
Will be annoying for people who have to re-download it again though. That cannot be helped though. :facepalm
Redoing the 7z file isn't that hard just extract it and change the folder structure and 7zip it again. :wp[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that in direct sail mode only the A and D keys do not work?

There used to be a random bug where the keys got scrambled so the spyglass wouldn't work and also time compression.

Yeah, all the keys work (like speeding up the time or sails and canons work. But I can't move the ship in order to engage or board another ship. I even tried to change A and D to other keys in the options menu but nothing happened!
Something tells me I should go back and play the original game, because the patch doesn't work for me :(

I think it must be fixed because makes a great confusion, and should be ready for the next full release.
You should have the map source file (photoshop layered) or something, right?
I wish. :facepalm

So Can't be added to the code? for example by copy pasting the code from another church? Seems to me as a flaw anyway :)
Sure it can be done. Shouldn't be too hard either. But even little jobs take time and there are a lot of them.
I've made a Feature Request for it already, so we'll remember to do it before the Build 14 final release:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/add-priest-to-charlestown-church.25634/

As far as I checked I wasn't on realistic, and I had to discover the ports first. but I'll double check.
If you had that behaviour, you must have been on Realistic Game Mode anyway.
That is the default setting for the mod.

I can sail fine in the world map from islands to islands using WASD but during a battle nothing works, I can only fire my canons manually using first person and using W and S switches the sails position from "Strike all down" to "Battle mode" or "Full Sails up".
Check your key assignments. Possibly reset controls to default or delete the file named "options" from your main game folder.

There used to be a random bug where the keys got scrambled so the spyglass wouldn't work and also time compression.
The only crazy control bug I know of is the one where the W and S keys stop working to raise/lower your sails.
But this sounds like the exact opposite. o_O

Redoing the 7z file isn't that hard just extract it and change the folder structure and 7zip it again. :wp
I'm currently working on just that, but it isn't as easy as I had hoped.
The major issue I anticipated is uploading the whole 2+GB file again (and forcing everybody to download it again).
But right now I haven't been able to make it work yet at all. Still making some progress though:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/improve-installer.21327/page-3#post-514787

Yeah, all the keys work (like speeding up the time or sails and canons work. But I can't move the ship in order to engage or board another ship. I even tried to change A and D to other keys in the options menu but nothing happened!
Something tells me I should go back and play the original game, because the patch doesn't work for me :(
You can try again when I've figured out the new installer progress based on your suggestions.
Maybe that'll work better? Once I actually succeed in making it work at all, that is.... :wp

Uhoh!!
So who made that map!?
Don't you even have the raw picture? Or is it just the screen shot of the in game map?
If you provide me with the raw image and font details I can make a new one for you.

Sure it can be done. Shouldn't be too hard either. But even little jobs take time and there are a lot of them.
I've made a Feature Request for it already, so we'll remember to do it before the Build 14 final release:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/add-priest-to-charlestown-church.25634/
That's great. Thanks

Check your key assignments. Possibly reset controls to default or delete the file named "options" from your main game folder.
If I remove it, does the game remake it? So no penalties other than setting the preferred options once again. right?

I'm currently working on just that, but it isn't as easy as I had hoped.
The major issue I anticipated is uploading the whole 2+GB file again (and forcing everybody to download it again).
But right now I haven't been able to make it work yet at all. Still making some progress though:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/improve-installer.21327/page-3#post-514787
Posted some solutions and suggestions in that thread. I hope it helps.

You can try again when I've figured out the new installer progress based on your suggestions.
Maybe that'll work better? Once I actually succeed in making it work at all, that is.... :wp
I look forward to it! Thanks for making it happen! Cheers!

Attached is the NICE map we once had before. But as you see, it is VERY wrong.
The current one is based on RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\Maps\map.tga.tx .
Personally I never really look at the one in the Documentation folder because we've got the in-game ones too.
Also, I sailed around the real Caribbean for a few years so I've got a bit of an unfair advantage of knowing where everything is supposed to be. :oops:

If I remove it, does the game remake it? So no penalties other than setting the preferred options once again. right?
Correct. :yes

Posted some solutions and suggestions in that thread. I hope it helps.

I look forward to it! Thanks for making it happen! Cheers!
Cheers! I have always been annoyed with the stupid process that we had until now,
so I'm quite happy that we're finally on the right track to get rid of that.
I did need to make one further adjustment to your suggestion by using the full path to the archive, but that is now actually doing things. :cheeky

Attachments

• Archipelago Map.png
    Archipelago Map.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 187
Attached is the NICE map we once had before. But as you see, it is VERY wrong.
The current one is based on RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\Maps\map.tga.tx
That could help! But I tried to open these tga.tx files and I couldn't. Is there a special software for that?

Personally I never really look at the one in the Documentation folder because we've got the in-game ones too.
Also, I sailed around the real Caribbean for a few years so I've got a bit of an unfair advantage of knowing where everything is supposed to be. :oops:
Haha, that's really unfair because I'm back from playing the game around 7-8 years ago! I needed help from the map :) So others may also need it. If it isn't useful so why you put it there? lolz

Thanks!

Cheers! I have always been annoyed with the stupid process that we had until now,
so I'm quite happy that we're finally on the right track to get rid of that.
I did need to make one further adjustment to your suggestion by using the full path to the archive, but that is now actually doing things. :cheeky
:pirates Ride On! :drunk

Back