• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Runtime Error!

gianflores13

Sailor Apprentice
@Pieter Boelen Now, I have a new problem, installed the latest beta, the June 18. And now I encounter this.

Untitled.jpg

Currently trying to reinstall....

Log files please?

Also, I detect something "Program Files" there, which is BAAAAAD!
Move your game somewhere else, such as C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean .

I'm reinstalling now.. I'll see if anything changes, and I'll move it to a different folder later..

Here are the Log files, thank you.

side note, why is it bad?

Attachments

• error.log
    600 bytes · Views: 128
  • system.log
    239 bytes · Views: 117
Here are the Log files, thank you.
Thanks. That pretty much confirms the installation went wrong.

side note, why is it bad?
I always call it "Windows Security Stupidity" or WSS for short. It is evil and must be avoided.
This is why the Installer EXE specifically tells people to not install to Program Files in its "license agreement".
That isn't actually a license agreement at all; instead, it is stuff that is actually important. :cheeky

When the game starts, it is not centered on the screen. And I couldn't drag it.
I have that problem as well. Managed to solve it by setting the ENGINE.exe to "Compatibility Mode, Windows Vista SP 2" or something like that.
Right-Click on the shortcut or the ENGINE.exe and you should see something like that under the "Properties>Compatibility Options".

Thanks. That pretty much confirms the installation went wrong.

I always call it "Windows Security Stupidity" or WSS for short. It is evil and must be avoided.
This is why the Installer EXE specifically tells people to not install to Program Files in its "license agreement".
That isn't actually a license agreement at all; instead, it is stuff that is actually important. :cheeky
Unfortunately, the installer then uses "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\" as its default installation folder. :facepalm

Unfortunately, the installer then uses "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\" as its default installation folder. :facepalm
I know. That is technically deliberate, because it IS the default game installation folder and I can't change the stock game installer.
Maybe I could read the actual installation directory from the registry instead, which should be possible.
But that gives two problems:
- If the actual installation folder is equal to game default installation, which must be the case for the people who run into this problem, the problem remains; which means that changing this wouldn't solve it
- What if you don't have the installation folder in your registry at all? I know I don't, because I never use the stock game installer anymore (I use my own self-extracting EXE instead, which is much smaller and much faster).

So I'm not sure of the best way to prevent that problem.
I tried to inform players about this issue with the huge "READ ON" text that they have to agree to before proceeding.
But people WILL - NOT - READ - WHAT - FOLLOWS. I wished I could force them to do so, but I don't think I can.

Alternatively, check the chosen install directory and if it is equal to the default, throw an error in the installer.

This was me. :rofl:rofl:rofl
I wished I understood the logic of not noticing that text. It's BIG.
And then it says "We're pirates.... would we lie to you?" right below. :wp

Maybe an advisory before the download button could prevent this.
On ModDB, it says "Click 'READ MORE +' for further information."
Which of course people don't do anyway. But if people would do that, they'd find the same information there.

Putting information where people can find it relatively easy simply isn't enough. Even when you put big arrows pointing towards it.
The only way I know is to actively prevent people from making the common mistakes. There is a lot of code in the Installer EXE already for that reason.
Still not completely failsafe. And when the Installer gives an error explaining exactly why it errored and how to prevent it... PEOPLE GET CONFUSED!
It may sound crazy, but it's true. o_O

And when the Installer gives an error explaining exactly why it errored and how to prevent it... PEOPLE GET CONFUSED!

Well take it from me. I am not that technological savvy. When there is an error, I panic. Then I read. I do some minor fooling around and when nothing happens, I google. :rofl:rofl

I only make progress when I understand something.

For example, if the instructions are almost spoon-fed, like absolutely clear.
if I understand what I'm seeing. e.g. the codes in initItems and ship_init

Mostly when I fix something I don't understand, it is through trial and error, and I can't simply replicate what I've done.

The problem with people like me is we have a very short attention span, if we have to read more than 4 sentences. it becomes tl;dr

:wp:wp

It was ignored because mostly people mistook it for license agreement which people don't bother to read anymore.
I was afraid so. But then.... it says "READ ON" and deliberately puts something not-too-serious down there to suggest to people that maybe, perhaps it isn't actually a normal license agreement.

Maybe I should change it to "If you don't, we WILL kill you"... :whipa

The problem with people like me is we have a very short attention span, if we have to read more than 4 sentences. it becomes tl;dr
Figured as much. That becomes a bit of an issue when things are actually relevant.
This is an issue I've been trying to address for years now. It's all Murphy's Law: "If something can be done wrong, it WILL be done wrong".

I wished I understood the logic of not noticing that text. It's BIG.
And then it says "We're pirates.... would we lie to you?" right below. :wp
Which is not that far off "We're politicians, would we lie to you?" xD (Never believe someone who says he never lies. He's probably lying. :D)

Besides, if they're trusting you to be honest there then they're probably also trusting you to make sensible decisions for them when it comes to default installation folders...

A lot of people don't read licence agreements before clicking on "Agree" and then accepting all the defaults. A lot of less honest software companies rely on this to sneak unwanted extras along with the program you're trying to install. Read the licence, then choose the options carefully - we ought to put that in large letters somewhere. Because anyone who learns that lesson is going to save themselves a lot more trouble than a game failing to run properly...

About the default installation folder. Is it possible to leave that empty, then people must choose it for themselves? That way they can't just click and accept a wrong default, and you don't need to worry about where they installed the original game. (Though, if they clicked the defaults, they probably put that in the wrong place to start with. In that case there's no way to help them short of sending someone round to explain with polite language and a baseball bat. xD)

Though, if they clicked the defaults, they probably put that in the wrong place to start with.
And that is the real problem.
The Installer already refuses to install to a folder that doesn't already have the game in it.

OK, I think I have a solution. The installer should offer no default. The user must therefore supply the installation folder.

If the original game isn't in that folder, give the normal error message.

If the folder includes "C:\Program Files" then give a different error message telling the user to go back and read the licence agreement in which he agreed to put the game somewhere other than "C:\Program Files". Possibly with something rude in the error message. xD

If the folder includes "C:\Program Files" then give a different error message telling the user to go back and read the licence agreement in which he agreed to put the game somewhere other than "C:\Program Files". Possibly with something rude in the error message. xD
Indeed that is the main thing I should probably add.
Not sure how to make that work though... But there is probably a way.

Hi, I've got this error now also, but not whilst starting up only when I come out of the Labyrinth at Cozumel, after the cut scene before I fight this BP. If i re-installed it, would it keep my save games?

Back