• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

"Sail To" vs. Realistic Sailing

"Sail To" or Realistic Sailing?

• Sail To...

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Realistic Sailing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mad_Jack

Patron of the Tarts
Storm Modder
I know aspects of this subject have been done to death, but I wanted to add me `rum-soaked` two bits to the discussion.

I've tried the "Sail To" option on a number of occasions when I wanted to speed up the start of an encounter.

What I've found is that "Sail To" plops my flagship right beside me quarry with full sails deployed, and I've taken a full broadside of cannon before I can determine the capability, number, and condition of me foe.

I much prefer sailing into battle in real time. That gives me the opportunity to assess the threats and winds, make battle assignments to me fleet captains, and let the other bugger sweat for a change. Simply put, I want to meet me foe on MY terms, whereas "Sail To" gives an initial advantage to me opponent.

Does it take longer? Yes. Sea battles are a game of chess and chance. Firepower may tip the scales, but it's no guarantee. Skill and patience ultimately determines victory, and minimizes harm to the victorious ship and her crew.

Have I ever had an opposing captain turn tail and run? Of course! And it never bothered me when it took over 3 hours to chase down a `yellow-bellied` opponent and send him to a watery grave. I may be ruthless, but patience is the one virtue I have left.

Some might argue that "Sail To" would have had me on top of him at the outset, unable to run. But it never would have really happened that way, would it? Ol' Mad Jack likes a victory as much as the next pyrate, but easy ones lack the full flavor and satisfaction (hmmm... I'm craving a Lucky Strike suddenly) of a hard fought win.

aye, mate...as ol' will turner says, "you didnt fight fair.." Jack says "im a pirate!"

well i heed on these words, buut at the same time, even ol' jack knows that when even NOT fighting fair, you should still be realistic. i dont understand the use of "quick sailing". i ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE use 3x speed, ONLY to get to a dock faster. but NEVER use quick sail, docking OR fighting. its pointless, and no fun at all. obviously, me and you have same tasts, as for although you be me evil twin mate, arrgh, we know how to fight fair eh? lets hope ol jack sparrow jr likes the same tactics too eh? harhar! :cheers: :D

But I would agree with the sail to and realistic sailing. Although I really don't get into battles anymore, I prefer to realisticly sail to my enemy.....The reason I try to avoid them, is they get kind of repetitive all the time. The AI never seems to change its tactics or anything.... :cheers

Yup sail to in battles sucks. I found the exact same thing you did, it sticks me right in the middle of the enemies with full cannons blazing. However at islands I like it for going to smuggle spots and back to ports or to shores near ports I'm KOS in. Sailing around islands looking for a place to park is a major waste of time for me.

In realistic you can comand the ship in any places :woot while sail to xD: it really sucks cause when you do that in battle sometimes you find yourself in the middle of the enemy :shock:

and when your in the middle :shock: the enemy firs their cannons :d: KABOOM KABOOM :d: and your ship sunk :p:: ................. :woot xD:

Sail to is not for me either mates!, The fun in this game comes from the time it takes, and the skill it takes to make all the necessary preperations for battle. I try to make the game as realistic for me as possible! :cheers

I tend to use "sail to" only if the quarry is outrunning me. I hate to let them go, especially if they've left me with a beeeeeeg hole in me hull! :dio

It does come in handy tew position yer self behind yer enemy so dey can't get a broadside shot at ya :onya

I agree with you Admiral,i suggest that you would put a poll so that we can vote Sail to or realistic sailing :onya

'ow about we 'ave a poll to have no more polls,ye can't be 'av'n a poll fer everything :shock: :cheeky :| 8)

<!--`QuoteBegin-skull`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skull)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->'ow about we 'ave a poll to have no more polls,ye can't be 'av'n a poll fer everything :cheeky  8)  :no  :|[/quote]

I wouldn't touch taht comment wit a ten foot poll! :shock:

Back