• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Sailorspoints and Walk Files

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Ahoy mates, it's about time we made a few things clear about sailorspoints and walk files... especially how to make them! :checklist

First, here's a simple guide on how to use the Sailor Tool:

Initial setup
  • Download the tool from this link: http://piratesahoy.net/build/tools/ShipWalkFiles/AoP SailorTool.rar
  • Install to a suitable location
  • Place models you wish to work on in RESOURCE/MODELS/Ships
  • Place corresponding textures in RESOURCE/Textures
  • Place Sailorspoints files in RESOURCE/MODELS/Ships/SAILORSPOINTS (if applicable)
  • Set ship and matching sailorspoints file in SailorsEditor.ini, then start Sailor Tool.exe
User Interface
  • Rotate camera - mouse
  • Zoom in - Left mouse button
  • Zoom out - Right mouse button
  • Move camera horizontally - W,S,A,D keys
  • Load chosen sailorspoints file - F6
  • Save modified sailorspoints file - F5 (file appears in SAILORSPOINTS folder)
  • Switch between 'People count', 'Selected point' and 'Selected path' - up/down arrow keys; [Enter] to select/deselect
  • Exit program- [Esc] (WARNING: you will lose unsaved changes!)
'People count' mode
  • Increase/decrease number of sailors testing the path - left/right arrow keys
  • With sailors walking around, press F10 to test cannon reload animations (if applicable)
  • Also, press F4 to change between Sail, War and Storm modes (i.e. walking, running/reloading and running)
'Selected point' mode
  • Insert new point - [Insert]
  • Delete selected point - [Delete]
  • Select a point - [Space] to choose next number, [Shift] + [Space] to go back
  • Move point horizontally - arrow keys
  • Move point vertically - [Shift] + up/down arrow keys
  • Change point type - F9 (press firmly until type changes; see below for details)
'Selected path' mode
  • Insert/Delete a path - same as with points
  • Select a path - same as selecting a point
  • Change point 1 - F2 to choose next number, [Shift] + F2 to go back
  • Change point 2 - same as point 1, but use F3
Point types (toggled in this order)
  • NORMAL - points sailors walk between, and can stand still on
  • CANNON_L/R/F/B - cannon reloading points for left/right/front/back cannons respectively
  • MAST_1/2/3/4/5 - points telling sailors to climb rigging (MAST_2 is the only one needed, use for top of climbable rigging)
  • NOT_TARGETPOINT - points sailors can walk between, but cannot stand still on (use these for bottom of climbable rigging)

To convert a Sailorspoints file to a Walk file, you need to use the Walk File Converter
(available here: http://piratesahoy.net/build/tools/ShipWalkFiles/PotC-AoP Walk Files Conversion Tool.rar).
See Hylie Pistof's short tutorial for more information. Note that converting the other way round often has unreliable results.

It is also worth noting the links between Sailorspoints and Walk file points, which can be seen by using TOOL to view the latter by going to 'Walk Files -> Read Walk File'.
  • NORMAL = point 0
  • CANNON_L/R/F/B = points 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively
  • NOT_TARGETPOINT = point 5
  • MAST_2 = point 6
Using this information when making a Sailorspoints file, you can ensure that it will work properly when converted to a Walk file (i.e. no problems with crew climbing rigging, reloading cannons etc).

I've found that TOOL's 2D view is a good way of checking for problems with existing Walk files, because it colour-codes the points to make it easier to identify their types. It's good for making small changes too, but the Sailor Tool is better for making new ones. See the Help file provided with TOOL for more information.

I hope this is helpful to modders, especially modellers wanting to make walk/sailorspoints files for their new ships. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Now we just need to add the Conversion to PotC program in here too and ANYONE can do it! :woot

I think that's the one. Instant CoAS Sailorspoints > PotC Walk file conversion = excellent. :cheeky

Well, I tried to get the sailorpoints tool working and all I managed to do was make it crash. It can't read the ship GM but there is nothing wrong with the GM.

EDIT: Got it working.

Last edited:
Crashed it. Now it is totally unresponsive and I can't stay there long because I'm afraid I will burn up my video card. Setting the crew to 50 is the only way to bring the frame rate down under 300fps and now that does not work.

So you're saying your hardware is far too good to run this program? Wow. :facepalm

When playing modern games the video card temperatures are much higher at 240fps than at 60 fps, and if I can't get the crew going I see 1400-1900fps. Temperatures quickly go past the danger point when that happens, so ya, I'm stuck now.

If the program had an fps cap I would be ok.

Hmm. CoAS has this line in Engine.ini:
Code:
max_fps = 120
Maybe try copying that line into the SailorTool Engine.ini? Who knows...

Nope. That line is already in there and the engine1.ini did not have it, so I copied in there and..........no difference.

I actually was able to do some work and modify a walk file yesterday but when I tried to save it something went wrong and now it does not work at all. I can do nothing.

Back