• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sails of Glory

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Back in 2013, Ares games ran a successful Kickstarter campaign for a Napoleonic era fighting sail tabletop game called Sails of Glory! At the time, I was AWOL from the forum for many reasons I won't get into here, and I missed this game completely. The past few weeks I have been looking up as much as I could find about the game. It is designed a bit differently than other games of this type that I have played in the past, and uses fully painted and detailed ship models on bases and movement cards.

The basic starter set comes with 4 ships, 2 French and 2 English ships. The French ships included in the basic game are the frigate Courageuse and Lineship Genereux. The British frigate Terpsichore, and lineship Defence are also included. Each also has an alternate identity and control cards for a sister ship of the same class. The alternates for the French are the frigate Unité and lineship Aquilon, for the British the frigate Meleager and lineship Vanguard.

There are also several individual ship packs that have been released over the past year or so with more on the way. Special ship packs of the iconic HMS Victory and USS Constitution will be available soon if they are not already. Also four new ship packs featuring new versions of the first wave of ships, also including the first two Spanish vessels in the game!

According to Ares web page :

The new section Sails of Glory Special Ship Packs presents the HMS Victory and USS Constitution. These packs include ability cards specific to famous captains of the ships - Richard Howe and Horatio Nelson for the Victory, William Bainbridge and Charles Stewart for the Constitution. They will be first sent to the Sails of Glory backers on Kickstarter, and following will be on distribution.

In the Ship Packs section, the 32-guns Concorde Class frigates, 74-guns Temeraire class ships-of-the-line, 32-guns Amazon Class frigates and 74-guns Bellona/Elisabeth Class ships-of-the-line pages now include also the third version of these ships.

The Spanish ships are the Concorde Class frigate "Sirena 1793", a former French Navy under the name Elene captured in May 1793 by Spanish Armada, which can also be used to represent the Spanish Frigate “Ifigenia 1795”, and the Temeraire class "Argonauta 1806", that had previously served in the French Navy under the name Argonaute and was transferred to the Spanish fleet in 1806 in exchange for the Vencedor. This ship pack can also be used to represent the Spanish Téméraire Class ship-of-the-line “Heroe 1808”.

Each ship pack comes with a fully painted and detailed ship, it's own set of specific movement cards, ship card and ships log. I have ordered the starter pack and an extra ship pack of the frigate Hermione! but I haven't had a chance to play the game just yet. Hopefully, I will get the chance to get together with a few friends soon and give it a good play testing!

You can find out much more about the game, and Ares other games, over on their web page HERE, you can also find the Sails of Glory entry on Board Game Geek HERE! Here are a few videos from their Kickstarter page explaining a bit about how the game works.

Sails of Glory Movement

Sails of Glory Firing and Combat

Sails of Glory Standard and Advanced Rules w/Prototype Components

Back