• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Santo Domingo's owners

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
From the Wikipedia article on Santo Domingo:
From 1795 to 1822 the city changed hands several times along with the colony it headed. The city was ceded to France in 1795 after years of struggles, it was briefly captured by Haitian rebels in 1801, recovered by France in 1802, and was once again reclaimed by Spain in 1809.
Translation: Santo Domingo should only be French Saint Domingues during the "Revolutions" period. Any objection to me editing "periods.c" accordingly?

If you like, go right ahead. Shouldn't make much of a difference to anything.
Other than making Revolutions more similar to the periods that came before. But since that one adds the USA, it is probably different enough as it is.

Quite the reverse. "Revolutions" is the only period in which Santo Domingo is taken by the French, which makes it unique. ;) Then, according to that article, it reverts to Spanish during "Napoleonic", which gives us a bit of difference between the two late periods. The main difference is that it is still Spanish in "Colonial Powers", which may have significance to any of Nathaniel Hawk's quests or general side quests that expect it to be Spanish. It also makes "Colonial Powers" a bit more like "Golden Age", but if the only difference between those is the ownership of one town then they may as well be identical anyway - for practical purposes changing the ownership makes no difference unless you actually go there. :) (The only reason I know about Santo Domingo is that I found out about it when I was doing historical research for the background to "Hornblower", and its ownership became significant because the "Vogelstruijs" side quest assumes it's Spanish, which it is for most of the time.)

Nathaniel Hawk's main quest doesn't make use of Santo Domingo, of course.
And the sidequests are available in ALL storylines now anyway.

Update: I didn't read the dates in "periods.c" closely enough. "Napoleonic" starts a lot earlier than I thought, which means Santo Domingo is only French in "Napoleonic". I've also changed the names of its governors - I had to find Spanish names for those periods where I've changed it from French to Spanish, and I found that even the names for periods which I'm not changing its ownership are incorrect - one of them, for example, did exist at the right time but not in the right place, he was on Cuba, not Hispaniola. :)

Reference: List of colonial governors of Santo Domingo.

Updated file:

Attachments

• Periods.c
    39.5 KB · Views: 188
Cheers! I'm quite willing to believe there are more historical inaccuracies, so if you run into any, feel free to correct them. :doff

Back