• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Save often! The game is buggy as hell

omeskeren

Powder Monkey
Personally, SD:TEHO is the buggiest game i've played. Even with the Steam patches. My advice is to save often and with different timelines and different slots. I know this is often mentioned, but in this particular game, it's really vital.

I think everyone who play this game know this. And all of them have been experiencing a lot of crash which cause them to lose their love for the game. Maybe we should share our painful experience about those bugs.

Right. For me, the bugs has ended it for me. I have lost 90% interest on the game because of the bugs. I got double bugs, the sail-to bug and game crashes when loading a save past a certain point in the game. Eventually the bugs are gone after i reinstalled windows and use the latest Visual C++ (updating Visual C++ without reinstalling windows did not remove the bugs in my case). But i don't feel like playing anymore. I'll just hang out here for a bit.

I got many bug and my patience is wearing thin. The most annoying bug is random crash. C++ doesn't help. One day it's fine to play over 3 hours, the next day it crash after 4 minutes. So how far are you in the game before you decide to hang it up? I'm doing a slaver trader quest and i'm stuck at the quest "getting the evident" because the conversation with the usurer has an error. He did mention the ship name but the destination is " ". The bad translations and crashes make me want to wait for several year before i try to play again.
Here are my 5 worst encounters with bug, mostly random crash.
1/ The game crash after 30 seconds during a boarding battle. Reloading several time and it still crash. I reload a previous save and decide to leave the convoy alone.
2/ Crash after exit the looting screen. I finish a hard boarding action (frigate vs ship of the line) with good items. goods and ship. Make me want to uninstall the game right away.
3/ Crash during transition after i escape from the city guard. Reload and all doors are close including the exit. Guards are friendly while people ran away from me.
4/ Crash during autosaving. Corrupt the whole save and sometime i have to replay the whole quest.
5/ Paid for the girl in the brothel, go to the room and she still tell me to go to the Madam. The door is locked so i have to reload again.

Last edited:
Actually the game is quite stable atm. There are some bugs to be avoided, but once you know those, like save often in different slots, the game is solid.

That slave trader bug was supposed to be fixed in later patches. The slave trader quest is generated in a random city (except capitals and Panama) in every play through.

Weird, I'm reading the posts on this thread. I haven't experienced any game crash and I'm playing Sea Dogs: To Each His Own for more than 3 weeks now. The game seems to be far more stable than AoP2... The only bug I encountered so far was when I received a quest from a merchant (in Martinique if I remember well) who wanted me to track down a ship of his competitor and destroy it. I had to wait near Guadeloupe for the ship. I had 9 days to wait. The trick was, if I used the wait option in the cabin, and go back to sea, I would get a quest log update saying: I can see the ship now, to arms!
But there was no ship on the horizon. Instead, I went from map to the sea after 9 days of waiting, and bingo, the quest ship was on the horizon.

That was the only bug I encountered so far...
I will share more if I find any...

I think it's not a bug because sometime the ship is simply out of sign. Or on the other side of the island. This is what i hate when i get a quest to intercept ship near big island. Because as soon as that message pop up, i can't go back to global map without failing the quest, yet i have no idea which direction the ship is coming in so i have to save and head to different directions until i got the ship.

See if someone knows or can help? Iam on that tavern smuggling mission,one of the firsts of the game. I reach that ship Ghost or whatever and go on board,i type the correct password and it has the script of the rum being transfered etc to my boat when iv talked to that Captain.But when it finishes there is no way to return to my boat. I press return,space bar etc and there is no icon or anything to return to my boat. Its saved so iv retried(using same password something about beer getting old)but still the same.Iv got game upgraded to latest version.Iv no idea what's going on? I don't want to start a game from the beginning and do the chores again. Also im asking if you have the upgraded game with the new dlcs will they work with a previous version saved game? is it worthwhile starting afresh again a new game? Thanks im happy to be back here,long time iv not written here!

I guess it's a bad luck for you pal. I got a similar but like that, but that's when i was in port. All door are locked, no fast travel, can't go back to ship.

See if someone knows or can help? Iam on that tavern smuggling mission,one of the firsts of the game. I reach that ship Ghost or whatever and go on board,i type the correct password and it has the script of the rum being transfered etc to my boat when iv talked to that Captain.But when it finishes there is no way to return to my boat. I press return,space bar etc and there is no icon or anything to return to my boat. Its saved so iv retried(using same password something about beer getting old)but still the same.Iv got game upgraded to latest version.Iv no idea what's going on? I don't want to start a game from the beginning and do the chores again. Also im asking if you have the upgraded game with the new dlcs will they work with a previous version saved game? is it worthwhile starting afresh again a new game? Thanks im happy to be back here,long time iv not written here!

As Nelsonliang said - bad luck for you. I did that mission twice because I had to restart the game due to difficulty problems and I had no issues with that mission...

The only way to make sure you don't have to restart the whole quest or replay the game is to SAVE OFTEN as the topic tittle suggest. I got 10 saves for each part of a long quest. SO SAVE OFTEN EVERYONE, 4 seconds to save is better than replay.

Back