• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Screenshot Logo Discussion

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Just a suggestion. We worked on a format for presenting concept art/renders with the logo several months back, like so:
ConceptRend_Rossiya3.jpg
In keeping with that style, if we just want the logo displayed, what do you think of this:
ConceptRend_Rossiya3_alt.jpg
Or alternatively, the full colour logo on a white background:
ConceptRend_Rossiya3_alt2.jpg
These images are just for demonstration, and NOT to be reposted elsewhere.

EDIT: Here's one of Captain Murphy's images with the glow-effect logo for reference:
StAlbans_bring_me_that_horizon.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice @Armada, do you have those already put together as overlays in GIMP or Photoshop?

I never really liked how that method of displaying the logo looked with some of the renders. I personally think that CM's is an improvement. His version of the logo might look good covering the image on the webpage. The semi-transparent gray box is a bit disturbing to me.

Last edited:
What about something like that?
logo_new3_black_transxkjnf.png

logo_new3_white_transumkg6.png

logo_new3_color_transt4jv8.png

Logo in black, white and color withouth the corona

I moved these off of the screenshot thread to keep it cleaned up.

I added the drop shadow to the straight transparency version because in half of the screenshots the logo doesn't appear very well at all without some type of background. Might need to make a white version for dark backgrounds if we want to lose the 'glow' around the image.

Uhm, I posted a white version in the post above...

I kind of like the glow. It allows the logo to work on any image without modifications.

Ok, that is funny. The site background matches the color of the white almost exactly on my monitor. I just thought it was a blank space in between the two other logos!

:onya

Or alternatively, the full colour logo on a white background:
To me, the top two look very good, as they did before. That third full-colour one doesn't look right to me though.
Perhaps because of the contrast of the "realistic" screenshot with the "simple" colours of the logo?
If you do want to go colourful on the logo, I reckon Captain Murphy's version looks pretty good.

How about something like this:
simple.jpg I just added blurry shadow and varying lightness semi-opaque wheel.
and maybe later on, a fancier logo could be useful, for the likes of 'box art' etc?
fancy.jpg fancy2.jpg It's very quick bevel effect in PS for show, but a very nice Silver logo could be rendered from 3D. Of course, I'm not against current minimalist aesthetics, it is truly great (albeit almost only for light background), and the choice of typeface is excellent, guys.

EDIT: just noticed Odemuth posted inverted version of his monochrome logo (which is what I did basically :D), credit goes to him. For those who worry about blending with background, think it's unavoidable with a logo made of many complicated letter shapes, a subtle shadow though, can remedy most of it. The dark grey wheel does the same. Alternatively wouldn't recommend using solid outline (type being eroded, it makes additional chaos) or contrasting color glow (chaos+ aphysicality). Although I would say the dark b/w logo for light background better had dark wheel (or even no infill needed?).

Last edited:
Very nice @Armada, do you have those already put together as overlays in GIMP or Photoshop?
I've attached both the white and full-colour versions as GIMP files; let me know if you need them as PSDs.
They're the full-size versions with all the individual components, in case anyone wants to use them for experiments. (The font used is IM Fell English Pro, if anyone was wondering.)
The overlays in my examples are displayed at 1/3 the original size.

For more immediate use without tweaking, I've also uploaded the exported PNGs.

I never really liked how that method of displaying the logo looked with some of the renders. I personally think that CM's is an improvement. His version of the logo might look good covering the image on the webpage. The semi-transparent gray box is a bit disturbing to me.
The issue that stands out to me with the glow effect is that it makes the text harder to read, and the whole thing appears a bit less saturated.
It's a good solution otherwise, though on a different note, I feel it strays a bit far from Haereticus' original art style that the normal logo uses.

Please use spoilers when images take up a lot of space. ;)

How about something like this:
View attachment 14920 I just added blurry shadow and varying lightness semi-opaque wheel.
and maybe later on, a fancier logo could be useful, for the likes of 'box art' etc?
View attachment 14921 View attachment 14922 It's very quick bevel effect in PS for show, but a very nice Silver logo could be rendered from 3D. Of course, I'm not against current minimalist aesthetics, it is truly great (albeit almost only for light background), and the choice of typeface is excellent, guys.
The first one you showed looks good on that background. Feel free to use the files I uploaded for any other modifications, rather than having to reverse-engineer the original. ;)
The second and third ones do have a nice look to them, but as with the glow effect, I don't think they fit the original artist's concept. The minimalist design works really well, in my opinion.

Attachments

• HeartsofOaklogowheel3_half_white.xcf
    487.2 KB · Views: 290
  • HeartsofOaklogowheel3_half.xcf
    547.2 KB · Views: 290
  • Logo_new3_half_transp_back.png
    Logo_new3_half_transp_back.png
    109 KB · Views: 345
  • Logo_new3_half_white.png
    Logo_new3_half_white.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 352
Could I have those .psd's, Armada? I will work out an optimal white shadowed version if the concept is acceptable.
PS: what you guys think about standartizing all HoO promo material, mostly from typography angle?
For ex. Captain Murphy's videos uses up to 5 radically different and sometimes ugly typefaces.

Could I have those .psd's, Armada? I will work out an optimal white shadowed version if the concept is acceptable.
PS: what you guys think about standartizing all HoO promo material, mostly from typography angle?
For ex. Captain Murphy's videos uses up to 5 radically different and sometimes ugly typefaces.
Well if someone wants to make me an intro logo (or even a video to use) I wouldn't have to.... hint hint!
:walkplank

PSDs attached to this post.

Captain Murphy - We do have a short video for the PA! logo that should look better in high res than the current image.
See here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/beta-3-release-trailer.21059/page-5#post-464359
If we want more consistent use of font (for the video titles), you could use the IM Fell English one I linked to above, but that's up to you.

Attachments

• HeartsofOaklogowheel3_half_white.psd
    852.4 KB · Views: 300
  • HeartsofOaklogowheel3_half.psd
    920 KB · Views: 346
I just found that font from your previous posts and have changed the title font to match. I tried matching fonts for a couple hours in the beginning and gave up and used a 'piratey' font on the vids.

503 megs? That is insane. My videos are in the 150-200 meg are with intro, vid, and credits. Does someone have a hi-res version of the PA logo I can use instead of what I have now? It might help to put together a 'press kit' package with logos.

Yeah, it is quite a large video. We have a compressed one, as mentioned later in that thread, but it's quite low res as a result.

I'll get a higher-res PA! logo made for you soon.

If anyone has Adobe After Effects, they could use a template I made for AE a few years ago for an intro video for the Developer Vlogs. I don't have a copy anymore and really don't feel like spending the time making a new intro, I would rather program the game instead, lol.

Here are a couple of examples of the logo transition. I think I got it from a tutorial originally.

For an airsoft group:

For the company I work for:

Edit: Interesting side note, I tried to put those into a spoiler and it seems that media doesn't work inside them. At least for me.

OK, here's a larger PA! logo in the regular and light versions we use:
PA_logo_large.png

PA_logo_large_light.png
It's 900 pixels wide to match the full-size Hearts of Oak logo, but with a slight change to the "Chasing booty" line.
I found that the font for that line in our existing PA! logo was Charlemagne, which I'd have to buy, so instead I've used IM Fell English.
Not only does it match the HoO logo, but I think it looks a bit nicer as well.

Thanks. I might just do intro vid, been a while since I used AE, but I'd try just to remember how. And about fonts - I humbly propose our HoO logo should be the most piratey thing in the whole material. Those other "piratey' fonts are just ridiculous from professional standpoint. Actually very modern or grotesque sans should work with IM Fell English, contrast is the way to match typefaces, especially when one already has something rich and textural. I can whip up some examples in PS, my font collection is itching for use.

What's all this focus on Piratey, then?

This isn't a pirate game, this is an age of sail game.

Back