• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Screenshots thread

I'm taking a break from ERAS and just took some screenies that look pretty to me while just cruising around.
beta3 2014-02-24 06-34-57-30.jpg beta3 2014-02-24 07-01-41-45.jpg

Crickey! I had no ideer the Derfflinger was so popular.

Who says there are no big ships out there?
beta3 2014-04-25 19-33-34-56.jpg beta3 2014-04-25 19-47-47-97.jpg

Is that one or two fleets out there? That Soleil Royal should be French, right?
But the "SP_Galeon50" to the right of her should be Spanish/Portuguese.
Due to the wind direction, I can't recognize the flags.

That is a French fleet attacking a British fleet. I dove into the middle of one of those big clusters of battles but only got one battle with no others in sight.
Final count: 2 French ships surrendered and 1 British ship surrendered and 2 sunk. I was in more danger of being rammed and sunk than anything else.

Last edited:
The English were in a very giving mood, the 5 Dutch ships helped, so I have a slightly used Heavy East Indiaman now. I've been looking into some GOF2 skins for them and have 2 that I like. There is a slab sided one with some purplish trim and a red and brown one. Which one fits which nationality best?
beta3 2013-12-06 11-41-34-95.jpg beta3 2014-04-26 15-08-19-07.jpg beta3 2014-04-26 15-44-53-37.jpg

Just found another one. The brown, green, and white color theme makes me think Portugal. It has a dirty look to it like the ship has been at sea for some time.

beta3 2014-04-27 07-18-30-73.jpg beta3 2014-04-27 07-39-46-07.jpg

Last edited:
The brown/blue one might fit England/France quite well. The red one looks very distinctive and would suit Spain, in my view.
The last one seems quite colourful, but I'm not sure what purpose it could serve that another texture doesn't already.
We could use the "if in doubt, give it to Portugal" rule, but personally I think the brown/blue texture would look better for them. :p

What we have is:
1. La Licorne - No plans to change
2. French HEI - can be changed
3. Dutch HEI - don't change
4. English HEI - can be changed
5. Portagee HEI - can be changed

There is no Spanish HEI

So there are 3 that can be changed and 3 new textures. This is the texture that is shared between the English and Portagee versions. I propose replacing it entirely.
beta3 2014-04-26 10-48-11-32.jpg

How about:
French - flashy red
English - brown and blue
Portagee - green and white The Portagee flag is green and white and while the screenie doesn't show it, it has a lot of green to it.

Hmm, definitely worth using the red texture to create a Spanish version, at least.

In my opinion, the French ship should use the brown/blue texture, as with the English ship. It looks more period-correct to me, and we tend to treat the French using red textures as more of a Napoleonic thing in the game. Plus it means the Spanish ship would look more distinctive.

I'm fine with the Portuguese ship using the white/green texture. At least it's not as overly-green as the Portuguese ships in AC4. Those things looked very odd. o_O

Well here they are. How do they look? The English and French models are identical. How hard would it be to give one of them a white bottom just to separate them a little bit?

beta3 2014-04-27 19-05-15-81.jpg beta3 2014-04-27 20-02-39-58.jpg beta3 2014-04-27 20-05-32-61.jpg beta3 2014-04-27 21-07-23-14.jpg

Do they really need to look different? A lot of models share textures between nations, and I don't think we lose anything because of that. :shrug

We'll be releasing Build 14 Beta 3.2 soon, of course. But we'll need some good epic and illustrative screenshots for the release article!
Anyone willing to make us some? :cheers

Here is a list of the main picture-worthy new features:
Code:
Build 14 Beta 3.2:
- Gameplay Updates:
  . Locked Abilities Functionality added by Levis
  Unlock in various ways, explained in the descriptions
  . All books made readable by Levis and Pieter Boelen
  . Worldmap Encounters improved to take into account nearby islands and time of day by Levis
  . Moon Phase changes visibly ingame by Purseon
  . Training Fights with crew on player ship deck fixed and reinstated by Purseon
- Storyline Updates:
  . Bartolomeu Storyline:
  > Cartagena part of the storyline extended by Bartolomeu o Portugues and Jack Rackham (WIP: Still being worked on)
- Texture Updates:
  . High-detail Boat texture added by TheBlackKnight
- Model Updates:
  . Polacca high-detail custom model added by De Zeeroovers (WIP: Interface Screenshot missing + Stats must be redone)
  . Rigging improved on War Galleon by Hylie Pistof
  Includes new textures courtesy of the Gentlemen of Fortune Mod Team (WIP: Interface Screenshots to be added)
- ADDITIONAL INSTALLATION OPTIONS:
  . Widescreen Textures including:
  > Improved Spyglasses by TheBlackKnight
  > Widescreen Moon Textures by Purseon

Wow.... I don't remember there being quite THAT MUCH soldiers around! :shock
There isn't during the regular boardings; that is usually only 8 characters in the scene at maximum.

Back