• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Sea Dogs : To Each His Own Fintal Lesson

Not really worth it.. money grubbing sons of you know what.
I bought this on Steam a few months ago and it was a total rip off.. a major disgrace from what AOP and POTC is all about.

Akella turned the new version around as to make you do what is instructed of you instead of being a free play.

First and foremost you have to go through hours long tutorial (mandatory and not optional).. this is how you start the game.

You can choose to sail on your own but you won't be able to do anything because all features are locked up in start up tutorials.

Secondly.. missions are mandatory and you must finish them for more features to unlock.

Thirdly, no wiki except in russian language.
There's youtube videos of all quests, but in russian too and it's quite boring watching someone take hours to do simple things when there should be a wiki for simpleness.
You could also upload your save file on Steam discussion and have someone finish your quest for you if it gets too hard (which most likely is the case.. level doesn't matter.. quests will rape you so hard that you don't enjoy this game anymore).

Thanks to modders like the ones we have here, you can play for free and enjoy free mode as you like.. but I wouldn't recommend spending money on those communists; especially not on the DLC.. $5 or more just for 4 quests lol

IF you really eager to buy, then wait till summer or winter sale period.. $1 or $2 at the most is good enough for that new version crap. :)

My chief concerns are bugs and translations. And since i also cheat to make the game combat more fairly (before it was 100ho vs 1800hp, i cheated and changed it to 8000ho vs 1800hp with 2000 energy for me:cheeky), i think the hardness of the quest is due to the wind direction and time.

About the mandatory mission and tutorial, it's just like a campaign so i guess i can tolerate it since i already tolerate the bugs and translation of the vanilla version.
What kind of features are locked up? Can you be specific???
The wiki doesn't exist because it need some good pioneer, since the game is originally Russian and not much improvement (except story and graphic) since the very first pirate game they made in 2001, most people don't want to play the same thing again after one and a half decade. Only hardcore pirate fans are willing.

PS: Your reply sure make me want to download it on torrent for trial play.

Well you can do what I do.. buy game, put a 1 hour 55 minute timer so you have chance to refund if you don't like.. i guess 1 hour or so should be enough for you to figure out if you want to go on.. but i really did not enjoy.
AOP2 and GOF were much more fun.. more ships.. and let's not forget.. the trade convoys are more interesting.
Sea Dogs trade convoys are 200% boring.. same loot.. and gold/silver only found in gold convoys which are impossible to beat unless you are extreme high level with a strong tier 1 ship.

Let's not also forget that I didn't see more than 1 type of tier 1 ship.. AOP2 and GOF have more variety in ships.
So as I said, in my honest opinion the game is way overpriced and underdeveloped... stick to Pirate's ahoy mod games and you will have more fun! If only they could put on Steam, they'd make a lot of money.. but these damn copyright issues :p

In this game, getting your ideal ship for your play style is more important than getting the highest tier ship. The higher tier, the harder to disguise. The bigger the ship, the harder to smuggle, even to the point that the smuggler in tavern will not do business with you because your ship is too big. And thing are more real except for the HP part. I guess i'll get the game soon, but if they are spawning DLC every 2-3 month, i guess i'll wait until they spawn no more. Don't want to lose 39 for the main game and 40 for DLCs.

Yea DLC is too expensive, even for the stupid quests that they contain. Like I said... money grubbing wankers

Back